By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Sony should stop pushing developers for 1080p games.

What do you think about this thread...

I agree with most (or all) of it. 49 25.00%

BOO!!! XBOT FANBOY ALERT!!! 110 56.12%

See results. 37 18.88%

Total:196
fatslob-:O said:
curl-6 said:

Unfortunately the 1080p marketing buzz seems to have come full circle to bite itself on the arse.

It was so effective in convincing gamers that a game is worthless if it's isn't 1080p, that it seems devs will make every sacrifice just to hit the magic 1920x1080.

Umm, 1080p didn't do any of those things ...

Gamers have no one but themselves to blame for it and their are still games that sell well at sub 1080p ...

Yes there are, but on PS4, not many. More than once it's been a case of 1080p with a wobbly framerate on PS4 vs 900p but smooth on the less powerful Xbone.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Yes there are, but on PS4, not many. More than once it's been a case of 1080p with a wobbly framerate on PS4 vs 900p but smooth on the less powerful Xbone.

Are you reffering to instances like COD?

Because you know, patches released the same month as the games launch sorted those out..

Azzanation said:

Unfortunately this is a truth that's been in hiding for quite some time now. It all starts with Killzone Shadow Fall. They were so determined to hit 1080p for the PS4 that they ended up butchering there own game trying to achieve it, and even when it comes to the MP, instead of downscaling it to the ordinary resolution of 720p or 900p, they opted to lie to us and customizing there own resolution just to say its 1080p which turns out to be less pixels then Titanfalls 792p. Why not 900p and a solid 60?

Infamous Second Son also opted to have 1080p and 30 frames or unlocked 60 frames but at the cost of AI, Quantity, and a Solid 60 frames. Why not 720p or 900p and achieve rock solid 60 frames or more AI?

DriveClub is another game that sacrifices so much on its gameplay and content to achieve the only thing the game has to offer over other racers and that's visuals. Instead of opting for a smooth 60 frames they went with 1080p and 30. Why not 720p and 60?

The Order is in the same boat, they focused so much on the visuals and 1080p they ended up added Black Bars on the screen and basically nerfed the gameplay so much just so they can have the best looking game on the market.

It feels that every game on PS4 has to achieve 1080p or Sony will have a hissy fit. I look at games like Titanfall, Dead Rising 3 and Sunset Overdrive on XB1 and feel as if there's no pressure on the developer to make there games. Sony's 1st party studios seem to have very high standards on how there games have to look instead of what makes there games play great.

This is a joke post right?

Tachikoma said:
curl-6 said:

Are you reffering to instances like COD?

Because you know, patches released the same month as launch sorted those out..

Since I don't have access to both a PS4 and Xbone with matching games, I can only go on the analysis of Digital Foundry, which usually only measures games at launch. 

Personally, I prefer framerate to be prioritized over resolution, but I realize that this is a matter of subjective taste.

Tachikoma said:
Azzanation said:
Unfortunately this is a truth that's been in hiding for quite some time now. It all starts with Killzone Shadow Fall. They were so determined to hit 1080p for the PS4 that they ended up butchering there own game trying to achieve it, and even when it comes to the MP, instead of downscaling it to the ordinary resolution of 720p or 900p, they opted to lie to us and customizing there own resolution just to say its 1080p which turns out to be less pixels then Titanfalls 792p. Why not 900p and a solid 60?

Infamous Second Son also opted to have 1080p and 30 frames or unlocked 60 frames but at the cost of AI, Quantity, and a Solid 60 frames. Why not 720p or 900p and achieve rock solid 60 frames or more AI?

DriveClub is another game that sacrifices so much on its gameplay and content to achieve the only thing the game has to offer over other racers and that's visuals. Instead of opting for a smooth 60 frames they went with 1080p and 30. Why not 720p and 60?

The Order is in the same boat, they focused so much on the visuals and 1080p they ended up added Black Bars on the screen and basically nerfed the gameplay so much just so they can have the best looking game on the market.

It feels that every game on PS4 has to achieve 1080p or Sony will have a hissy fit. I look at games like Titanfall, Dead Rising 3 and Sunset Overdrive on XB1 and feel as if there's no pressure on the developer to make there games. Sony's 1st party studios seem to have very high standards on how there games have to look instead of what makes the games play great.

Nice speculation, but fatally flawed.

You can't just flip a switch and drop the resolution to something lower, then instantly everything runs at 60fps, thats just nonsense, in most cases dropping a game to 900p will yield around 5fps boost, and dropping to 720p a 12fps boost, both of which put the game somewhere in between 30fps and 60fps, then you have the headache of working in all sorts of checks to monitor framerate to time your sequences by and with a moving target that can be horrendously labour intensive.

You need to get the notion of "oh just drop the framerate and lock it at 60" because its a pipe dream, given that, id rather they stuck with 30fps and did the best they could for visuals, then spend their time dropping resolution and butchering the game more to ensure the resolution drop was worthwhile.

More content sacrifices would be made in ensuring a 60fps presentation at 720 or 900p, than are made in achieving 1080p on a 30fps locked game.

The CPU is holding the systems back more than the GPU is.

I agree, it takes heaps more power to achieve 60 frames (double) however dropping the resolution is a start. Sony seem to be only focusing on 1080p and visuals. We have seen this with all there 1st party games. There game reviews speak for themselves.

Around the Network

Higher res is a must!

For me, the jump from 720p to 900p is less visually noticeable than the jump from 900 p to 1080p. The clarity that native resolutions provide is a must for me. I'd gladly skip on AF for that. Keep up the 1080p for me.

Tachikoma said:
Darwinianevolution said:

What represents the green lines?

The other guy

Lol, meanie

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

curl-6 said:

Umm, there are also cases on the games that run at a higher resolution on the PS4 also have the better framerate too like Watch Dogs and Battlefield 4 ... 

Azzanation said:

I agree, it takes heaps more power to achieve 60 frames (double) however dropping the resolution is a start. Sony seem to be only focusing on 1080p and visuals. We have seen this with all there 1st party games. There game reviews speak for themselves.

But there is zero pressure, suggestion or requirement from Sony to achieve it when publishing a game.
Even for first party titles, there is no such requirement, developers arent sat there thinking "shit how can we get the game to 1080p so sony dont kick our ass", they sit there thinking "well we cant hit 60fps reasonably at 720p, but we can do a solid 30fps at 1080p"

In those cases, the latter choice wins, because the benefits of a 1080p presentation outweigh the benefits of a moving target framerate.

One such benefit is needing much less aggressive AA to achieve the same, or better, smoothing results, and eing able to get awau with a less aggressive LOD because you arent losing texture detail to resolution crunch, and in doing both the performance actually improves despite taking a hit for the overall resolution increase.

In the end, the threads stating why "sony should stop" doing something.

They AREN'T actually doing it, so the thread is pointless.

As someone who owned a 7870 I really don't understand why some titles perform the way they do on PS4. Its no beast but I remember it performing really well in (50fps > on high or ultra) in most games. I don't expect all games to run at 1080p60fps but I'm still surprised that so few do so. Right now Battlefield 4 and Hard line come to mind, looking at GPU benchmarks I don't understand why Dice settled on 900p especially with all that low level access. Maybe the CPUs really are to blame.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine