By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why Sony should stop pushing developers for 1080p games.

What do you think about this thread...

I agree with most (or all) of it. 49 25.00%

BOO!!! XBOT FANBOY ALERT!!! 110 56.12%

See results. 37 18.88%

Total:196
SubiyaCryolite said:
As someone who owned a 7870 I really don't understand why some titles perform the way they do on PS4. Its no beast but I remember it performing really well in (50fps > on high or ultra) in most games. I don't expect all games to run at 1080p60fps but I'm still surprised that so few do so. Right now Battlefield 4 and Hard line come to mind, looking at GPU benchmarks I don't understand why Dice settled on 900p especially with all that low level access. Maybe the CPUs really are to blame.

They could be using a high level API on the PS4 since that's a decision ... 

Around the Network
fatslob-:O said:
curl-6 said:

Yes there are, but on PS4, not many. More than once it's been a case of 1080p with a wobbly framerate on PS4 vs 900p but smooth on the less powerful Xbone.

Umm, there are also cases on the games that run at a higher resolution on the PS4 also have the better framerate too like Watch Dogs and Battlefield 4 ... 

Yes, there are. It's worth noting though that both those titles you mentioned run at 900p on PS4.

curl-6 said:

Umm, there are also cases on the games that run at a higher resolution on the PS4 also have the better framerate too like Watch Dogs and Battlefield 4 ... 

Yes, there are. It's worth noting though that both those titles you mentioned run at 900p on PS4.

Epic. Didn't even think of that.

curl-6 said:

When you think about it, a jump from 720p to 900p is bigger than 900p to 1080p ...

720 -> 900 (1.56x)

900 -> 1080 (1.44x)

Tachikoma said:

This is for one particular engine, I should state, so the graph would be somewhat different for other games depending on engine used.

I should start a business selling asprin to gamers.

I don't know if what they are expecting for DX12, seems too much. But it would be interesting why the gap between "now" and console launch is there - sdk improvements or work on engine to match to either console.

Around the Network

When you think about it, a jump from 720p to 900p is bigger than 900p to 1080p ...

720 -> 900 (1.56x)

900 -> 1080 (1.44y)

Fixed.

Player2 said:

Fixed.

What was the point ?

Player2 said:

Fixed.

What was the point ?

y > x.

It's like saying that a jump of 1.44 miles is shorter than a jump of 1.56 kilometres.

Player2 said:

y > x.

It's like saying that a jump of 1.44 miles is shorter than a jump of 1.56 kilometres.

I was speaking in terms of percentages, not pixels ...

walsufnir said:

I don't know if what they are expecting for DX12, seems too much. But it would be interesting why the gap between "now" and console launch is there - sdk improvements or work on engine to match to either console.

For both, SDK updates, for the XBO, additional performance gained from removing kinect reserve, P2RLA is expected to give a similar boost to performance as the kinect removal but ith more of a focus on bandwidth allocation rather than sub-ycle management.

It's a graph made from performance logger results from the base engine at the company I now work, running across multiple platforms - the only difference between the results is the console updates and SDK advancements, the testing engine remains the same across all.