By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - This generation has sucked so far

McDonaldsGuy said:
VanceIX said:

While I do agree that the generation has been a bit slow, you lost a lot of credibility when you said Nintendo wasn't doing well. I mean, are you kidding? The 3DS has some of the best games ever released in their series (Fire Emblem Awakening, A Link Between Worlds, Bravely Default, Animal Crossing New Leaf, OoT 3D and MM 3D, Pokemon X and Y, etc) and the Wii U has been doing absolutely fantastic as well (Smash Bros U, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Mario 3D World, and the upcoming Xenoblade X and Zelda U, which has a fantastic artstyle thank you very much).

If you're going to completely disregard one of the most prominent software producers in your assessment, why bother even making a post? Not to mention that the PS4 and One are getting some crazy good looking games this year too, like Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, Tomb Raider, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, etc, and have already had some pretty amazing games released like Shadows of Mordor, Dragon Age Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, Far Cry 4, and Infamous Second Son.

How about you go buy a Wii U and/or 3DS and try some of the absolutely fantastic games I mentioned, or if you cant/won't, stop complaining and go play some of the great games already out or wait for a few more months for the crazy amout of great releases to come out.

I do mention Nintendo, and the Wii U is probably the biggest disappointment.

Smash Bros. U looks OK, but 3D World is not what should've been Mario's first HD 3D Platformer outing. And Zelda U looks too cartoonish.

The Wii U has too little to offer for so much price. Should get rid of the gamepad and sell it for $199.

Lol, you disregard an entire game just because it looks "cartoonish", and say that Smash Bros only looks "OK"? What about Pikmin 3, Mario Kart 8, or Xenoblade X? What about the fantastic 3DS games I mentioned, some of which could rank top 10 in their genres? How about you address the games for the PS4 and One that I mentioned?

You honestly almost sound like you're trolling, especially you disregard one of the biggest games in what might be gaming's most iconic franchise just for being "cartoonish", and say that 3D World is basically a sequel when it is nowhere near. Listen, if you aren't willing to go outside your comfort zone and try other great games just because you don't agree with the artstyle, maybe it's best for you to take a few months off from gaming, and come back to it when there are more releases. 

You're Gonna Carry That Weight.

Xbox One - PS4 - Wii U - PC

Around the Network
McDonaldsGuy said:
VanceIX said:

While I do agree that the generation has been a bit slow, you lost a lot of credibility when you said Nintendo wasn't doing well. I mean, are you kidding? The 3DS has some of the best games ever released in their series (Fire Emblem Awakening, A Link Between Worlds, Bravely Default, Animal Crossing New Leaf, OoT 3D and MM 3D, Pokemon X and Y, etc) and the Wii U has been doing absolutely fantastic as well (Smash Bros U, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2, Mario 3D World, and the upcoming Xenoblade X and Zelda U, which has a fantastic artstyle thank you very much).

If you're going to completely disregard one of the most prominent software producers in your assessment, why bother even making a post? Not to mention that the PS4 and One are getting some crazy good looking games this year too, like Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, Tomb Raider, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4, etc, and have already had some pretty amazing games released like Shadows of Mordor, Dragon Age Inquisition, Sunset Overdrive, Far Cry 4, and Infamous Second Son.

How about you go buy a Wii U and/or 3DS and try some of the absolutely fantastic games I mentioned, or if you cant/won't, stop complaining and go play some of the great games already out or wait for a few more months for the crazy amout of great releases to come out.

I do mention Nintendo, and the Wii U is probably the biggest disappointment.

Smash Bros. U looks OK, but 3D World is not what should've been Mario's first HD 3D Platformer outing. And Zelda U looks too cartoonish.

The Wii U has too little to offer for so much price. Should get rid of the gamepad and sell it for $199.

Zelda U looks fine. I don't get your massive problem with the art style.

Delicious, delicious games.

kupomogli said:

Saints Row 4.  It adds an expansion that uses the same graphics that Saints Row 3 and 4 had, pushing out this shoddy remaster and the small expansion.  If you want for visibility, Saints Row 4 released in August 2013.  Saints Row 3 released in November 2011.  That's only a year and 10 months?  So where is Saints Row 5, or atleast the Saints Row 5 announcement?  I mean if it doesn't release in three months then it's pretty clear there's a longer time between releases than SR3 and 4, right? 

Btw.  Just because a delay isn't visible, doesn''t mean that other games didn't get pushed back because of an remaster.  You have no idea if a game is being developed until it's announced, and if it's delayed from pre alpha production, of course they're not going to announce it, they don't even have much of a game.  I mean whenever most games are announced in the industry, they atleast have quite a bit of content put into them.  The games aren't complete but they've got playable sections.  When Skyrim first announced, it was days later that we saw videos showing off gameplay.  Same with Saints Row 3 and 4, etc.  Just about every game.  When Battlefield Hardline was leaked months before E3, it was under  the code name Omaha with a video showing off the games content.  Rarely is a game announced with just a name and a logo, and a lot of the time, even if it is just a name and logo, it's not too long before we see some actual content.  

Well thats far from conclusive, I wouldn't expect saints row 5 to take the same amount of time as Saints row 4 unless you believe them to be built from the same engine and framework despite being on a whole new generation of consoles. Its like expecting Mass Effect 4 to take the same 2 years that ME2/3 took. 

And yes, to the whole second paragraph I specified "visibly delayes" because if it isn't visible
1. we don't know 
2. It doesn't matter

Like I said above, unless there is a distinct lack of new games then why would we complain about a bunch of hypetheticals. Say saint Rows 5 is announced and is sceduled for Q1 2016, are you going to complain based on the assumption that without the remaster it could of been released 2015 Q4? Genuine question. 

PieToast said:
teigaga said:

Proper BC although great is not the norm in the industry and really not something to value a console on. The PS3 will not be remember for cutting PS2 BC after a year, just like PS2 won't be remembered for being completely BC with PS1- BC is nothing more then a bonus.

In regard to sequels name one time this gen that a remaster has visibly delayed a new game? Dark Souls 3 is obviously going to happen but it was never going to be a 2015 title, same for DMC. I really don't think theres is a single instance right now where you can say we would have had X game, if it wasn't for a remaster. Its really not a conversation worth having unless there is a distinct lack of new games being released, that obviously hasn't been the case for the last 6 months and won't be the case moving forward (unless everything gets delayed to fall 2015/ Q1 2016)

We probably won't see an original 3D Zelda on the 3DS after the remastered MM and OoT, but even then we had A Link Between Worlds and MM Slightly changed a few minor things for the better in an otherwise unacceptable game that required an expansion pack.

Remasters require a lot of the companies resources but Naughty Dog released TLOUR last year and planning to release Uncharted this year, still keeping up with their roughly two year development time.

Remasters =/= Remakes. The length entirely depends on how good the remaster is and whether new assets are added or whether old assets are used but just less compressed, higher res etc. Generally speaking I'd say remasters do not take up a ton of resources, although they do take out up some. A full team (60+)isn't going to work on a remaster, and if they do then it'd probably be finished in a few months(2-3).

The last of Us had only a partial team and took less the a year, coders only joined the team 5months before release. Also its one of the superior remasters we've seen this gen.

In regards to Zelda Majora Mask(a remake), I thought the same thing but then I learned that Ninetendo didn't even handle the OOT and MM remakes, they outsourced them to another company. Its likely Nintendo would never have bothered with a full fledged 3D Zelda on the 3DS, they had no internal resources to spare. Unless you think they would have outsourced an original zelda 3D like when they let capcom develop oracle of seasons for GBA

Speak for yourself OP. I've been loving this gen on my PC, Wii U, and (New) 3DS. I didn't buy into the xbox playstation hype. Waiting on Bloodborne

I think it's mostly casuals that have been disappointed because they keep buying into all of the marketing B$

Around the Network

I only game on my WiiU...since that is all I have time and money for. I think this generation has been great. Nintendo is catering to the Nintendo fans (albeit to their detriment, I guess) and the indie scene is humming right along. In particular, there's been so much love for the Metroidvania genre, almost to the point of saturation. But...you never can have too much of a good thing.

This E3 is going to be interesting. Sony and Microsoft are definitely going to come out swinging, and I'm just curious to see how Nintendo handles themselves stuck in this awkward position of having a console that can't produce unit sales, yet happens to contain many of their franchises greatest titles.

I'm too busy enjoying all my Nintendo games to indulge in this pity party.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

I agree for the most part that overall this generation has been a bust

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

I agree. I keep wanting to buy new and cool games, but theres nothing to get but FPS' i am tired of and indie games, wich i hardly see the value in bar exceptions.

This is so bad i went and bought a telltale game, wich is something you can just watch on youtube. But, i kind of like Game of thrones and it was on sale.

The Fury said:
You liked Sunset Overdrive, I loved DG:Inquisition. Yet if I look over my collection from the last gen, I could say really I only really liked 1 game per year, even if I got more. Infact, don't think I bought a new game in 2013 at all, just played games I already owned.

but nothing was particularly good about Dragon Age: Inquisition. it is just 'okay', a good time-killer. I think the OP is totally right, it's been lackluster indeed. too much cashing in on old franchises or the fact that gamers do not have a lot of choices recently in terms of new releases, publishers being lazy and safe