By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pessino: I just blame ourselves for not communicating our vision of the Order 1886

Tagged games:

sundin13 said:
I don't think there was any real problem conveying what their goals were, I just think their goals were heavily flawed

explain how so. 

Around the Network
platformmaster918 said:
Except they did. They made perfectly clear it would be filmic. It would be cinematic. It would be story driven. It would have black bars. People never expected anything different they're just hating on it because it doesn't fit their kind of game. Look I like Arcade racers more than sim racers. Am I gonna hate on the next GT because it doesn't look like it has a crash mode like Burnout 3? NO because it's perfectly clear that it is not a game for me. I'm not going to say there's anything wrong with being a sim because there isn't. Why can't people just enjoy their open world stuff and if they hate linear games then go ahead and don't play them. I enjoy both so I'll be getting this AND plenty of open world stuff but hey I guess I'm just a crazy person who doesn't have to have every game in a genre fit into my vision of what the "good" type of game in that genre is.

Yes I think they made it quite clear what kind of game they were doing. The problem might be that in modern game trailers there is not much of the actual gameplay shown. You have to read between the lines to understand what the game will really be like.

In this case, what you see is what you get. They show an awesome trailer and the actual game IS the awesome trailer (+ some QTE and short bursts of scripted gameing).

I've never owned an xbox but I am just surprised how the masses are easily led by hype, trailers, and pretty graphics. It's like the saying "deja vu all over again"

bananaking21 said:
sundin13 said:
I don't think there was any real problem conveying what their goals were, I just think their goals were heavily flawed

explain how so. 

Telling a game's story by taking the player out of the game, instead of telling a game's story by putting them in the game. I've spoken about how cutscenes are the video game equivalent to exposition dumps before, as they are an inelegant solution, to a problem that has a number of other ways to resolve. Their goals were to play to the strengths of movies, instead of playing o the strengths of video games and that seems to shine through many of the aspects of the game, from the heavy use of cutscenes to the way the story is told, to the way the player interacts with the game world.

I don't want to get into (another) big discussion of The Order in this thread, but my point was that they communicated their goals just fine, just a lot of people found fault with them (this change of wording sounds a little more like an opinion, which it is, but I don't think that invalidates my point in any way)

sundin13 said:

Telling a game's story by taking the player out of the game, instead of telling a game's story by putting them in the game. I've spoken about how cutscenes are the video game equivalent to exposition dumps before, as they are an inelegant solution, to a problem that has a number of other ways to resolve. Their goals were to play to the strengths of movies, instead of playing o the strengths of video games and that seems to shine through many of the aspects of the game, from the heavy use of cutscenes to the way the story is told, to the way the player interacts with the game world.

I don't want to get into (another) big discussion of The Order in this thread, but my point was that they communicated their goals just fine, just a lot of people found fault with them (this change of wording sounds a little more like an opinion, which it is, but I don't think that invalidates my point in any way)

The best story in any video game is now mostly considered the last of us. and that game had a lot of cut scenes in it and a good bit of the story was in the cut scenes. that didnt take away from how amazing the game is and how well it played. so your point makes no sense. 

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:

I thought we had been very clear since the very beginning, about what we were trying to do.

but they did, it was really really clear what the game was and was trying to be a few weeks after they announced it. reality is, there is a massive troll fest about this game, people who i seen admitally didnt even plan to play it, and yet and went on to hate on the game and comment negativily in every thread about it. trolls have been all over this game, and the majority of those trolls have been from the xbox fanbase, im not trying to state a flame war here, its just the reality of the sitation. 

just wait till Quamtum Break releases, the same thing will probably happen.

Typical close my eyes and cover my ears response. Gamers in general are all over the game. The XB1 fansbase isn't as vocal on the internet, if so there would have been several more public outcries about sony exhaggerations/lies. I bet the main people that are up in arms, are in fact ps4 fans.

And after all that he still didn't say what his "vision" was.

true_fan said:

Typical close my eyes and cover my ears response. Gamers in general are all over the game. The XB1 fansbase isn't as vocal on the internet, is so there would have been several more public outcries about sony exhaggerations/lies. I bet the main people that are up in arms, are in fact ps4 fans.

says the user with the only on xbox on his avatar. a good majority of the Sony fans on this site have said they showed interest in the game. while there are a good few who arent interested, we arent hearing the flaiming and trolling comments from them. im done with this paritcular subject. 

@bolded: lets not act like Nintendo or MS are angels either. 

Mystro-Sama said:
And after all that he still didn't say what his "vision" was.

To make an action adventure title that has strong cinematic influence and tells a great story. we knew this A LONG time ago. 

bananaking21 said:
true_fan said:

Typical close my eyes and cover my ears response. Gamers in general are all over the game. The XB1 fansbase isn't as vocal on the internet, is so there would have been several more public outcries about sony exhaggerations/lies. I bet the main people that are up in arms, are in fact ps4 fans.

says the user with the only on xbox on his avatar. a good majority of the Sony fans on this site have said they showed interest in the game. while there are a good few who arent interested, we arent hearing the flaiming and trolling comments from them. im done with this paritcular subject. 

@bolded: lets not act like Nintendo or MS are angels either. 

You essentially proved my point, the ps4 fans on sites like this and n4g will defend anything on playstation. Remeber at the start of this gen it was all about 1080p 60fps, then 1st party ps4 exclusives started coming out as 30fps and that was all of a sudden ok moving forward. Heck ps4 fans led the charge against ryse, so it's only fair at least some of them call out the order for the same thing.

User has been moderated for this post.

- Shinobi-san