By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pessino: I just blame ourselves for not communicating our vision of the Order 1886

Tagged games:

true_fan said:

You essentially proved my point, the ps4 fans on sites like this and n4g will defend anything on playstation. Remeber at the start of this gen it was all about 1080p 60fps, then 1st party ps4 exclusives started coming out as 30fps and that was all of a sudden ok moving forward. Heck ps4 fans led the charge against ryse, so it's only fair at least some of them call out the order for the same thing.

im just glad you are the one here showing the console war mentality. as i said, im done here. 

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
true_fan said:

You essentially proved my point, the ps4 fans on sites like this and n4g will defend anything on playstation. Remeber at the start of this gen it was all about 1080p 60fps, then 1st party ps4 exclusives started coming out as 30fps and that was all of a sudden ok moving forward. Heck ps4 fans led the charge against ryse, so it's only fair at least some of them call out the order for the same thing.

im just glad you are the one here showing the console war mentality. as i said, im done here. 

I just wan't everything judged on the same scale simple as that. Have a great day, if you buy the order, I hope you enjoy it.

Yeah, I don't seem to understand all the hate this game is getting - personally, I don't care for it, since the first trailer it just hasn't resonated on any level with me, but that's no reason to go around and shit on it for what it tries and the way it tries to achieve.

bananaking21 said:

The best story in any video game is now mostly considered the last of us. and that game had a lot of cut scenes in it and a good bit of the story was in the cut scenes. that didnt take away from how amazing the game is and how well it played. so your point makes no sense. 

I disagree with what you just said in every way imaginable...I look forward to the day where video games move out of cinema's shadow and people start to realize how much they were missing by aiming for the wrong horizon.

sundin13 said:
bananaking21 said:

The best story in any video game is now mostly considered the last of us. and that game had a lot of cut scenes in it and a good bit of the story was in the cut scenes. that didnt take away from how amazing the game is and how well it played. so your point makes no sense. 

I disagree with what you just said in every way imaginable...I look forward to the day where video games move out of cinema's shadow and people start to realize how much they were missing by aiming for the wrong horizon.

i guess games like Dont Starve, LBP, GTA, Mario, Driveclub, No Mans Sky, Bastion, To The Moon dont exist? why did i name all those? because each game has a different direction and aim. the fact of the matter is that there are many, many games that arent cinematic out there, and that number continues to grow, and many games are going in many directions, just because a some are influenced by movies (which is NOT a bad thing) doesnt mean that all gaming is and that these games are bad. 

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
bananaking21 said:

You do know that video games aim for many different horizons, right? What's wrong with certain video games trying to do something different?

Aura7541 said:
sundin13 said:

You do know that video games aim for many different horizons, right? What's wrong with certain video games trying to do something different?

"But... But... I don't like it, so nobody can and it's bad :'( "

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean you are necessarily right.

Dadrik said:
Aura7541 said:

"But... But... I don't like it, so nobody can and it's bad :'( "

See, I would understand if he doesn't like the execution of trying some new. But it is clear that that is not what he meant.

Roronaa_chan said:
I think they communicated it just fine, people just didn't want to listen or wanted to weave their own narrative no matter what.

I do think they messed up by showing so many cutscenes that have QTE mixed in. I get that they wanted to show off the graphics but first they should have showed the action then the cutscenes. Like that trailer they released a week or two ago should have been one of the first things we saw.

bananaking21 said:

i guess games like Dont Starve, LBP, GTA, Mario, Driveclub, No Mans Sky, Bastion, To The Moon dont exist? why did i name all those? because each game has a different direction and aim. the fact of the matter is that there are many, many games that arent cinematic out there, and that number continues to grow, and many games are going in many directions, just because a some are influenced by movies (which is NOT a bad thing) doesnt mean that all gaming is and that these games are bad. 

I think Extra Credits explain my opinion of cutscenes pretty well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGXIR2dlktc

"Films will always be better at being films than games are"

Like I said before, and in my own words, cutscenes are often like an exposition dump. They are something you put in, when you need to tell the player something, but you just don't have the capabilities to do it organically. So, they just say "hey, we're going to take away control from you for a minute while we tell you some information you sort of need to know." Its lazy and there are much better ways to accomplish the same goal.

This isn't to say that games can't tell stories. Quite the opposite. Games can do it brilliantly, in a way no other medium can. They have a whole bag of tricks that more often and not, they don't use to their fullest effect. 

I've spoken about some specific points in The Order where I believed cutscene use to be particularly damaging a few times. I think we all remember the early gameplay footage when you first meet the Lycan, but when I saw it I couldn't help but think "this would be amazing if you were actually playing the game". That is because this first meeting is the most important, because you just don't know what to expect or how to behave. You as a player feel helpless, just as the character would. You turn a corner and see the man tearing into someone. What do you do? This question is the fundamental strength of video games, because unlike any other medium, you are the one who gets to answer it. So what would you do in that situation? The way I see it there are several different options and with some smart design, they can all be funneled into the same result without wasting much dev time. However, the fact that you get to make the decision yourself is unbelievably powerful. You get to learn about the monster while in the character's shoes. You get to see how it behaves and you get to feel the sensation of being truly helpless.

What do you get in a cutscene? You get the gaming telling you "this is how the character would act in the situation and this is the information we wish to tell you about the beast at this particular point in time. Just sit back and watch". I don't think that is anywhere near as powerful, because you aren't experiencing it. Someone else is, while you sit back in the comfort of the cutscene.

I feel as if The Order could have been so much more, and that is why I am so disappointed.

PS: I never meant to imply that "cinematic experiences" are all that video games are, just that, far too often, video games throw away their strengths at the most important times. Far too often I see games, or pieces of games walking in the shadow of film, especially when it comes to story oriented games, without realizing how much potential they have to be unique and interesting.

Aura7541 said:
sundin13 said:

Yeah, and this is a bit of a tough question to answer.

Basically, when it boils down to it, when I see games with "being cinematic" as their fundamental goal and game design philosophy, I look at the game as trying to be something it isn't. Like, you wouldn't excuse someone who wrote a book as if it were a movie because it was just being "different". Every medium has their own set of strengths, and while pushing boundaries and innovating, those strengths should be kept in mind, to give the best game possible.

That is what I want. I want every game to be the best game it can be. I look at The Order and think "wow, this could have been something truly amazing" and that makes me disappointed. I look at a scene where everything is so clearly black and white, or a scene where your interaction is no more involved than pressing the play button on a movie, only for it to automatically pause every few seconds. I see these scenes as misplaced goals. I see the designers of these games as compromising so much in order to be the best movie a game can be, but at the end of the day, films will always be better films than games can be (as EC said). 

I understand that this is a debate on ideologies, but I don't think that invalidates my point. I think that games can still be tremendous and diverse and brilliant and engaging, with interesting stories and voice acting and I think games can do all of that while being the best games that they can be and playing to the strengths of video games. 

I also understand that some people may enjoy cutscene heavy games, even if I don't particularly understand why and I would never say that anybody doesn't have a right to enjoy a particular game, or doesn't have a right to make a particular game. However, that does not excuse the game for criticism.