By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The order's 1886 first review 7,5/10

Areym said:
Teeqoz said:
How anticlimactic. After all the hatred and defending, it just ends up being merely mediocre.

How is a 7.5 mediocre? There are other numbers below a 5 you know.

Mediocre:

"not extraordinary; not specialexceptional, or great; of medium quality;"

Around the Network
Areym said:
Teeqoz said:
How anticlimactic. After all the hatred and defending, it just ends up being merely mediocre.

How is a 7.5 mediocre? There are other numbers below a 5 you know.

How comes nearly no game reaches that level? Because they are all that good? No, obviously not.

A 5/10 is considered terrible or do you wanna tell me that Sonic Boom is an average game? Please don't say "yes".

7.5 is really mediocre for a videogame, almost disappointing for a AAA game.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

RealGamingExpert said:
mornelithe said:

Actually, 60 would be above average on a 0-100 scale. 

I am pretty sure he knows that. Videogame reviewers tend to use that scale differently though. 7-8 seems to be about average for games right now.

Words have meaning, and are not subject to re-interpretation just because some website thinks they can.  I understand your point, but just because the average joe accepted it, doesn't make it right.

RolStoppable said:
mornelithe said:

Actually, 60 would be above average on a 0-100 scale. 

If the scale were used properly, yes. However, gaming journalism has inflated scores so much that a rating in the low 70s is already perceived as insufficient quality.

Yeah but isn't it about time we started forcing the games media (I'm averse to using the term journalist) to use words appropriately, and score things appropriately?  Last gen set an unreasonable standard, due to (in my opinion) over-scoring of games, and the misuse of the word average.   Not sure it's healthy to allow the intentional misuse of a word to spread throughout peoples brains.

Goodnightmoon said:
Areym said:

is that a spoiler? What's wrong with you?

Wait, i tell you who is the boss? I tell you something from the story? Of course not, I´ve been warning you about some mechanics saying "it is" , and i´m not the first one to say it in this forum, calm down...

Sorry, i assumed you meant the final boss was confirmed to be a QTE boss fight, you sounded very sure of yourself there.  I assume some bosses/ big fights will be QTE (especially against important humans)  Still, QTEs won't deter me from finishing the game. I finished GoW and that had plenty.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

Good news is it could end up in the bargin bin soon, so I'll pick it up then.

The cons are some major concerns, aren't they?

- Gameplay is meh
- You don't want to play it again
- You have to watch hours of cutscenes and the gaming part can be done in 180 minutes.

I don't see how a "great atmosphere" and "nice visuals" can be enough to get such a high score.
But yeah, that is the broken review system for you.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

mornelithe said:
RealGamingExpert said:

I am pretty sure he knows that. Videogame reviewers tend to use that scale differently though. 7-8 seems to be about average for games right now.

Words have meaning, and are not subject to re-interpretation just because some website thinks they can.  I understand your point, but just because the average joe accepted it, doesn't make it right.

Thats a bit BS....the person who writes the review gets sole dominion over what the final score means. If you think that they are using the score incorrectly, then feel free to object to their system (i certainly do), but do not misrepresent the review to artificially inflate their opinion on the percieved worth of the game...

Areym said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Wait, i tell you who is the boss? I tell you something from the story? Of course not, I´ve been warning you about some mechanics saying "it is" , and i´m not the first one to say it in this forum, calm down...

Sorry, i assumed you meant the final boss was confirmed to be a QTE boss fight, you sounded very sure of yourself there.  I assume some bosses/ big fights will be QTE (especially against important humans)  Still, QTEs won't deter me from finishing the game. I finished GoW and that had plenty.

OKi

sundin13 said:
mornelithe said:

Thats a bit BS....the person who writes the review gets sole dominion over what the final score means. If you think that they are using the score incorrectly, then feel free to object to their system, but do not misrepresent the review to artificially inflate their opinion on the percieved worth of the game...

No, they don't.  They can't just redefine already established words.  Sorry, that's just incorrect and stupid.  If the games below average, give it a fucking 40, why is that a problem?   We've let it go on for long enough, exemplified by how Metacritic has a different scale for Good/Bad between movies and games.  Other people can accept it, but I'll always point it out as idiotic.  Because it is.  We have numbers for below average on a 0-100 scale, and that's 49 and below.