By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The order's 1886 first review 7,5/10

The trolls and haters went too far, so the media that were most likely planning to shit all over the game to get hits had to change their tact to praise to achieve the same effect.
That's what you get for trying too hard.

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
Normchacho said:

I honestly don't expect to see too many more review like this one. But I think reviews might be better than we were expecting. I was expecting a mid 70's score for this game when the dust settled...but it might be high 7s or maybe even crack 80.

But didn't we already agree that the review system itself is broken and that we don't care as we can make up our minds in different ways? Or do they rehabilitate themselves by giving this game high scores (although scores are of course broken, too, nowadays)?

Yes, to the first part and no to the second. I only pay attention to reviews as a consumer if I'm thinking of buying a game that came out a while ago and then I don't look at scores but read a few reviews to get a general idea of what it's like. Normally, if I'm interested enough in a game to want it on launch, than I'm willing to bet the $60 it's going to be good. Whic has worked out pretty well thus far as I can't think of a time when I didn't enjoy a game I bought at launch.

But as a novelty it should be interesting to see where this game lands, especially with all of the hubub leading up to it's launch.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Yelp, that is a lot of QTE still want to play it eventually.

Grey and brown games are the most superior games. Fuck all this drama I am glad to be playing new IPs and third person shooters. It just feels good when your gaming wishes come true!

Tachikoma said:
The trolls and haters went too far, so the media that were most likely planning to shit all over the game to get hits had to change their tact to praise to achieve the same effect.

Perhaps we will see a big "Thank you :-* :-*"-thread for all the trolls and haters from the defending people? This would be something at least...

Around the Network
walsufnir said:
Tachikoma said:

Perhaps we will see a big "Thank you :-* :-*"-thread for all the trolls and haters from the defending people? This would be something at least...

You joke, but I was being semi serious.

Gaming sites are dropping like flies this past year, they have to keep in tune with the audience and do what causes the biggest furore.

They got their moneys worth from the original short game store then switched tact to praise to milk both sides of the fence.

I mean, Look at Kotaku, theyre still writing alternating "why im so dissappointed by" and "im looking forward to a welcomed addition of" articles about Destiny, a game even the diehards have moved on from.

Tachikoma said:
walsufnir said:

Gaming sites are dropping like flies this past year, they have to keep in tune with the audience and do what causes the biggest furore.

They got their moneys worth from the original short game store then switched tact to praise to milk both sides of the fence.

I mean, Look at Kotaku, theyre still writing alternating "why im so dissappointed by" and "im looking forward to a welcomed addition of" articles about Destiny, a game even the diehards have moved on from.

I don't want to believe that gaming journalism is that crappy...but...deep down...

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Normchacho said:

I don't want to believe that gaming journalism is that crappy...but...deep down...

While it's only situational on my part, lets just say that my past with the press is such that at one point my employer in the mid 2000s banned me from talking to (or assaulting) the press.

Long story, but ill just leave it at, "I have hit a member of the press before" and "the reason press exists is to make money off of your interests, that is the ONLY reason"

Tachikoma said:
walsufnir said:

I guess reviews that get released early are to be taken with a grain of salt. Especially if they are online and give a score that will immediately make them "famous" for a few hours so they get the clicks.

In this way, sites like these are definitely broken and are hardy to be believed, no matter what their score for a specific game is.

walsufnir said:

I guess reviews that get released early are to be taken with a grain of salt. Especially if they are online and give a score that will immediately make them "famous" for a few hours so they get the clicks.

In this way, sites like these are definitely broken and are hardy to be believed, no matter what their score for a specific game is.

The whole system is broken by nature, as i've covered multiple times.

Not there to inform, just there to convey an opinion in the most profitable way.