By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - BraLoD catching up with the classics: Final Fantasy 7 (finished)

Tagged games:

That's the sad thing about the junction system in FFVIII. Magic in this game is absolutely meaningless and summons as well. They're just methods to get stronger. Magic is much more useful junctioned than to be actually cast. And G.F.s are just a means to get better abilities.
Well, summons were always absolutely useless in FF games but to make casting pretty much obsolete is a feat.

But who cares, FFVIII is all about the world and the characters and the story.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

Quick question from Final Fantasy fans of old, should I play 1-3 at all?

I played pretty much everything else, I sort of refuse to play 13 sequels.

So I played: 4/5/6/7/DOC/CC/8/9/10/10-2/12/13/Tactics/Tactics Advance/Tactics A2 Also played the Crystal Bearers and Crystal Chronicles.

In the fence about 14, and haven't decided on if I should get type 0 or 15 at full price.

Acevil said:
Quick question from Final Fantasy fans of old, should I play 1-3 at all?

I played pretty much everything else, I sort of refuse to play 13 sequels.

So I played: 4/5/6/7/DOC/CC/8/9/10/10-2/12/13/Tactics/Tactics Advance/Tactics A2 Also played the Crystal Bearers and Crystal Chronicles.

In the fence about 14, and haven't decided on if I should get type 0 or 15 at full price.

If you're curious about the games, go ahead and play 1-3. Just realize that those games have aged and if you do decide to play them, then I recommend playing the PSP version of 1/2 and the 3D remake of 3.

vivster said:
That's the sad thing about the junction system in FFVIII. Magic in this game is absolutely meaningless and summons as well. They're just methods to get stronger. Magic is much more useful junctioned than to be actually cast. And G.F.s are just a means to get better abilities.
Well, summons were always absolutely useless in FF games but to make casting pretty much obsolete is a feat.

I don't know, gameplay matters even in an RPG. Even more so, when the characters in VIII aren't all that likeable.

InnocentSin said:
vivster said:

I don't know, gameplay matters even in an RPG. Even more so, when the characters in VIII aren't all that likeable.

And the story kind of takes a strange direction in the middle onward.

Around the Network
Acevil said:
InnocentSin said:

Which is a fun part! FFVIII is as far from a stereotypical JRPG story as it gets, which I think is great.

It has Rinoa (and a couple of other lovely ladies that I will not spoil), so who cares about the rest of the cast?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
Acevil said:

Which is a fun part! FFVIII is as far from a stereotypical JRPG story as it gets, which I think is great.

It has Rinoa (and a couple of other lovely ladies that I will not spoil), so who cares about the rest of the cast?

Everybody that's played the game should care about the rest of the cast. Just because one character is somewhat likeable doesn't omit the game from scrunity in regards to the entire cast. And while FFVIII is definitely a non-stereotypical story, some of the plot twists that occur are just odd.

InnocentSin said:
vivster said:

Everybody that's played the game should care about the rest of the cast. Just because one character is somewhat likeable doesn't omit the game from scrunity in regards to the entire cast. And while FFVIII is definitely a non-stereotypical story, some of the plot twists that occur are just odd.

Odd means just great in my book.

BraLoD said:

No I have not, I didn't knew I could draw a GF from a boss, lol, too bad. I thought it was strange it doesn't giving me any exp though.

All these people trying to spoil the game for you. Better beat the game fast before everything is given away XD.

I think the minor reasoning that you don't get xp from bosses is because it would disproportionately level your main 3. Because obviously don't want the weaker less likeable members out during boss fights.