By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Since Wii U failed, what should Nintendo have done to follow up the Wii's success?

Could Nintendo have realistically produced another Wii-like success?

Yes. Nintendo magic. Just not the Wii U. 131 28.85%

No. Wii was a one time th... 262 57.71%

Yo Mama 61 13.44%

Total:454

The Wii was a huge success but was evident that it strongly lacked 3rd party support so Nintendo should have focused the Wii's successor to appeal more towards 3rd party devs. The easiest way to do that is by making their consoles equal in power with their competitors.

Around the Network

The "Wii successor" didn't really need to happen. They should've just let the Wii brand be its own thing, a family/casual brand and removed the more core/enthusiast gamer franchises off the brand. Just let it be a side brand. 

This crowd:

Was never going to "graduate" up to anything else, unless it was the typical young boy who becomes 10/11/12 and wants to play nothing but Call of Duty and Destiny.

Games like Bayonetta, 3D Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Madden, Sin & Punishment, etc. don't need to be on the Wii brand. The above audience isn't going to play anything but the more casual fare 95% of the time anyway. 

The problem for Nintendo in the long run was always going to be the above, transforming into this today:

Soundwave said:
atomicblue said:
"Failed"? Depends on how you look at it. In terms of producing good games, I think it's already one of the best consoles I've owned and I've been gaming for nearly 25 years, so I definitely don't consider it a failure.

Commercially, maybe. Although I wouldn't make that call until this generation is over. And even if it hasn't sold as many units as XO or PS4, the thing that matters most is revenue, not units sold. If Nintendo are making a profit, then it's not a failure.

Nintendo is not in the hardware business to sell only 20-million-ish consoles. Iwata said that during the GameCube cycle. They were not happy with that, I think they are bitterly dissapointed with the Wii U. 

The amount of time, effort, expense, manpower goes into pushing a console in the market is massive, just barely turning a profit after 5 years is not good enough. That's like spending two hours to squeeze a few drops of juice from an orange. 

I'd say it's a pretty safe lock to be their worst selling home console too. 

The GameCube has outsold the Wii U something like 24 out of 25 months that the two have been on the market (equivalent time frame) ... that's horrible. 

Again, I'm aware that it's not selling as well as it could/should but I don't necessarily think that's the only mark of success because unit sales =/= profit. Also unit sales =/= a good product. Also I think there's a reasonable chance that the shrinking games industry is going to see everyone except Microsoft see their worst-selling console to date. PS4 might manage to outsell PS3 but at the moment I wouldn't bet money on it. Where do you get five years from, though? I thought it was four years ago that Nintendo first recorded losses.

Anyway, I don't really want to quibble over sales figures. Point is, on the terms for which I define success, the Wii U has been successful. I've been happier with it than I can recall being with just about any other console I've owned. Except, ironically, for the GameCube.

Captain_Yuri said:
Materia-Blade said:

And it did increase the price by a large margin. A replacement gamepad costs $150

Here is an old breakdown from almost two years ago.

http://www.destructoid.com/cnn-estimates-the-cost-of-wii-u-s-parts-to-be-228-249435.phtml

The GamePad alone is valued at $79.25, 

Replacing this with a classic controller that costs around $15

http://bgr.com/2013/11/26/xbox-one-teardown-bom/

That makes for a reduction in price of less than $65 (almost a much as a bundled game)

they should have nintendo sports club in the launch bundled with white wii U.
They should let EA manager the online services with origin, and earn all the third party support from them.
And also offer discount for who upgrade its wii for a wii U, a decent online service to pass content from wii to wii u should help a lot.
they should have brought either lugis mansion or kid icarus to wii U intead of 3DS, for filling the droughts.
They should have a deal with rockstar for launching GTAV first on wii U, with the first person view as exclusive feature(until ps4 and xone).
If that happened, wii U should be in a way better position nowadays.

Around the Network
baloofarsan said:
Captain_Yuri said:
Materia-Blade said:

And it did increase the price by a large margin. A replacement gamepad costs $150

http://www.destructoid.com/cnn-estimates-the-cost-of-wii-u-s-parts-to-be-228-249435.phtml

That makes for a reduction in price of less than $65 (almost a much as a bundled game)

Yea and then u have the licensing fees since Nintendo partnered with Broadcom (I believe) to create the zero latency streaming, R&D and a whole lot of other stuff which could have been far less if they didn't go the way they did with the gamepad. But yea, they goofed a lot this generation which is a shame cause the games are great

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Soundwave said:
Mr Khan said:
Soundwave said:

I think in retrospect they should've just spun the Wii off entirely into a casual/fitness brand, with only casual and fitness style games along with maybe some Mario spin-offs (Mario Party, Mario Dance, etc.).

Things like Sin & Punishment, Metroid Prime 3, Xenoblade, Red Steel 2, Conduit, etc. never really sold great on the Wii even despite its mammoth userbase, Skyward Sword under-performed as well.

What I would've done in hindsight is released a "New Wii" around 2010, which would basically be the same as the original Wii with a new cheap GPU processor that would be able to run newer games in 720p (same visual fidelity more of less though). No tablet controller. New updated OS with more storage, better browser, eShop with hundreds of back catalog games available for download + easy access to Virtual Console. $169.99 at launch, scaled down to $129.99-$149.99 quickly.  

This would be a quiet/soft launch and I'd keep a small team at Nintendo to work on a handful of new casual games for the system yearly. All casual stuff. I'd turn Wii Fit into its own channel with updating fitness challenges and lifestyle reccomendations. 

In 2012, I'd launch a traditional Nintendo console that would be on par with the PS4/XB1 with a one year head start and devote the core Nintendo teams to making games for that. No gimmick controller (tablet pad), the audience and focus for this platform would be clear -- mainstream gamers who like to play deeper game experiences. 

But you're not going to beat Sony and Microsoft at their own game. If they wanted to branch off, the path would've just been to stick with the Touch Generations brand, since that's where the profit margins are.

I do think Nintendo could have actually finished a decent no.2 this gen above MS, if they utilized a year head start properly with an adequetely spec-ed machine that allowed for easy PC ports. Too late for this gen now though. 

I know I'd rather have 40-50 million "New NES" systems sold versus the 17-18 million the Wii U is going to crash in at, even if we assume the PS4 wasn't going to be caught, there was still plenty of room here for Nintendo to take advantage. But as usual they were asleep at the wheel and let Sony/MS just get away with 7 year lifecycles for no good reason. They could've taken advantage very easily, especially with MS' blunder of banking on Kinect for their first year. 

The casual market was always doomed long term anyway though IMO, once that audience was introduced to the concept of $1 apps/freemium to get their 20-30 minutes/every 2nd-3rd day gaming fix ... Nintendo never had a chance. So there goes your whole "where the profit margins are", Touch Generations games like Brain Training and Style Savvy flopped on the 3DS too because no one needs/wants a Nintendo platform for that type of experience anymore. 

I'm of the mind that the third party problem for Nintendo is more or less un-solvable, pending Sony or Microsoft's outright exit from the market. Early head start and easy porting or no, they weren't going to get the right games from third parties.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

In cpu terms the wii u is ridiculously under-powered for its release date. Most wii u games that are also available for ps3 and 360 perform weaker on wii u with the only exceptions being 2D games and light cpu games like racing games. Also the gamepad is a terrible controller, bulky and missing analogue triggers. Not only that but the launch price was ridiculously high for such a weak console.

Instead of a gpu with 176-352 gflops performance they needed something like 700 gflops and instead of 3 incredibly weak 32bit 1.25ghz powerpc cpu's it needed perhaps 4 jaguar cores (or the early version I forget the name of) which would easily have been up to the job of emulating the original wii powerpc chip at full speed.

The controller should have been a conventional joypad design that also doubled as a motion controller.

Personally I think it should have been a top loader design for the disc so it could run gamecube and wii discs.

There are lots of other things I would have done differently but the meat of it is a console that sits in the middle between ps3/360 and ps4/xbone not stuck with the 360/PS3 in performance terms.

What Nintendo should have done, is try to genuinely (not half ass) recapture the core market, by offering a true next system in terms of power. Nintendo at the time thought "we have the casuals on lock" so they should have emulated what MS did in stealing the PS fanbase, by taking advantage of a 1 yr head start. This would have shown devs and the gaming community "ok, Nintendo is serious again!".

But by making the faux tablet MANDATORY, it added unnecessary cost to the system. The faux tab - pro controller cost differential should have been added to the budget toward getting the best gpu/cpu and ram possible. It is more than evident now, that Nintendo never had any real breakthrough ideas/innovation in game play when it comes to the Faux tab. But when Nintendo was in meetings coming up with ideas for their system after Wii, they likely said "oh people mainly use wifi for their tablets, which means mostly home use" so they included this gimmicky Faux tablet with terrible signal power, to entice the casual Wii market. Nintendo wrongfully assumed parents/kids would prefer a Wii U (gamepad) over actual ipad/android tablets.

I personally like the gamepad for its off tv play, but the thing should have been optional and not sacrificed HW power for it.

Captain_Yuri said:
baloofarsan said:
Captain_Yuri said:
Materia-Blade said:

Yea and then u have the licensing fees since Nintendo partnered with Broadcom (I believe) to create the zero latency streaming, R&D and a whole lot of other stuff which could have been far less if they didn't go the way they did with the gamepad. But yea, they goofed a lot this generation which is a shame cause the games are great

I have struggled to come up with an answer to what Nintendo should have done three years ago to avoid this disaster, but has not managed to come up with any good answer.

Some time ago we had a thread on this forum asking if what our recollections was of the time before the launch of the eight generation. Most, of course, stated that they knew Playstation would win. I am not so sure the managers at Sony was so sure. The managers at MS was not sure, cause they betted on the Wii route to be the future: TV, TV, TV - casual-Kinect games - Family Entertainment - Xbox Fitness - Spielberg's Halo exclusive to Xbox Live. 

Three years ago when it was to be decided how the new consoles should look like gamers was mass emigrating to mobile gaming. Ipads was everywhere, Call of Duty seemed to be the only remnant left of the dedicated gaming industry, game sales had been declining for a couple of years, Xbox 360 was eight years old tech and people was starting to doubt if MS and Sony even were interested in producing new hardware. I could not have given any advice to those that had to come up with new hardware.I had no idea that the right answer was "MORE of the SAME".