By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer drops review scores, withdraws from Metacritic

Another site drops the unnecessary lower 1-5 (and dem decimals!) from their review scale. Yet people will fight over the results all the same - games should get good badges, a no-badge means its bad, etc. A babystep in the right direction, but I'm still not putting much stock in their opinions.

Around the Network

That's good news for The Order!

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Great news.

Far too many are obsessed with ranking games over one another when the simple truth is that they excel in different areas, and that there is no reason to compare them in the first place. Perhaps now people will learn to appreciate each individual game for what it is.

Lowsy stupid decision imo. They don't get my support so I won't be reading any more of their reviews.

Honestly I don't see how this reflects on the quality of the reviews. Better yet, it certainly doesn't!

Anyway, to be honest they don't get rid of rating system, they just make it less accurate. Avoid, "nothing", Recommended and Essential is a ratin system, wheteher peopl like it or not...

Further reinforcing my love for Eurogamer's reviews...good job guys. I'd say that this system is a pretty huge improvement, and I'm excited to see who will follow suit.

Around the Network
GTAexpert said:
curl-6 said:
Interesting that those most in favour of this share a specific allegiance.

It should be obvious, since EG underscores PS4 exclusives mostly, and having played them we know how crap their reviews were.

Which games - some examples?

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Roronaa_chan said:
DialgaMarine said:
Thank god... The more crazy biased review sites that leave Metacritic, the better... Now if we can only get rid of Polygon and MetroGameCentral..

Yeah I can't believe MGC is even accepted into Metacritic, they need to go.

is Quarter to Three still accepted there?  They trashed the metas of Halo and Uncharted alike with terrible scores most likely costing people money

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

RolStoppable said:
Would be nice if such moves were made in the interest of the readership, but getting delisted on Metacritic is first and foremost about drawing more hits to your own site. With a centralized database like Metacritic, people can just read the score and brief conclusion of reviews and don't have to visit individual websites.

That's a double edged sword though. Being part of metacritics also gives the websites visibility. With the review summaries always being linked to the specific website.

Roma said:
Roronaa_chan said:

There is nothing clear about a score system, much less the ones used by amateur "journalists".

there is to me. A game scored 6 and below are games I avoid as they aren't really games that deserve my time or the full price they ask for them.

I can guarantee you've played and enjoyed 6/10 games before.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I'm liking the way this is going, we just need the other major review sites to drop review scores now.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.