By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer drops review scores, withdraws from Metacritic

outlawauron said:
Roma said:

there is to me. A game scored 6 and below are games I avoid as they aren't really games that deserve my time or the full price they ask for them.

I can guarantee you've played and enjoyed 6/10 games before.

The market for bad films will always exist similarly; many are still enjoyable, even when for the wrong reasons.

Mediocre to bad games generally only become difficult to enjoy/play when there are some blaring aspects of the game that make it broken, frustratingly unbalanced, or just too much of a chore to play. 

Most of these are games you won't buy before they're discounted though. 

Around the Network

I like it. Now they will put a little more effort in their reviews and will point a lot better the great and flaws of each game. Well, at least in theory it should work like that.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

It's a better policy for reviewing.

Sure, a lot of people like or need a score to measure, but it's a little too easy to abuse a simple numerical assessment of a game for the purpose of influencing the averages, which individuals are too often guilty of doing and many sites are guilty of doing in the interest of generating hits for a review that flies contrary to the assessment of most reputable reviewers.

Now we are heading to a future where all the people who skipped the ORAS review just to see Too Much Water can actually read the review instead of making shitty memes.

What a wonderful day that would be.

Am I the ony one who used to like the way gametrailers did review? They had 3 categories, gameplay, story and art(I think) then they got the avrage, I loved this and they moved away from it. If I liked story better then graphics I can see that reflected in the score.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

Step in the right direction

Do not approve. So many games exist nowadays. I need a quick and easy way to get an averaged impression of which to ignore.
That's why metacritic is so important. I can't just listen to 1 person's opinion. I have no idea if it'll match my own and I'll have to keep following individual reviewers to learn how my opinion tends to differ from theirs.
A metacritic average is so much easier.

Smear-Gel said:
Now we are heading to a future where all the people who skipped the ORAS review just to see Too Much Water can actually read the review instead of making shitty memes.

What a wonderful day that would be.

Indeed. If people complain about having to read the reviews, then reviewers need to become better writers that the reviews are more interesting to read without scores.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Awesome! First, Joystiq has dropped using numerical scores and now, Eurogamer. Taking out scores encourages more reading rather than scrolling down to the bottom of the article just to see if the game scores X/10.

I give their decision a "Meh" badge.

Like it or not, they have replaced their 0-10 ranking with their own 0-3 ranking (and if I had to guess, Avoid is 0-5, Nothing is 6-7, Recommend is 8-9, Essential is 10).

They will still get criticisms over which badge was given to which game, but I guess you will get less "why did this game get an 8 while this other game got a 9", since they will both now get a "Recommend".