By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I the only person who thinks the characters in XCX look good?

The faces look about the same as the ones from Dead or Alive 3 (and that's an original Xbox game).

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:
baloofarsan said:

This is what Square wants us to see when we look at Final Fantasy XV:

This is what we actually get:

I had big problems finding a ingame picture(this one is probably from a cutscene).

For games like this, the only reliable source of ingame models is playing the actual game and turning the character around, so you can see the ingame face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJrXCfVKXEA

EDIT: just saw that someone embedded a gif from that demo a few posts ago.
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7059932

Barozi said:
Materia-Blade said:

For games like this, the only reliable source of ingame models is playing the actual game and turning the character around, so you can see the ingame face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJrXCfVKXEA

FF15's in-game models really are stunning. That they have multiple of them on-screen at once (while maintaining the quality of the rest of the games visuals) is really impressive. I'm expecting this to result in a sub-1080p resolution on both the PS4 and X1 though. Woe is me :p

OT: There will always be some that like them, but it certainly doesn't seem to be a popular opinion, at least online. The quality of the models themselves is fine, but personally i think they look dreadful... The art style coupled with the awful facial animations makes me see them as plastic dolls. It has little effect on my excitement for the game, but i do wish they looked different.

SubiyaCryolite said:
Nem said:

It really doesnt make me go into Dragon Age threads to say how crap i think the faces are. How is it with you and Xenoblade?

This thread was specifically created to discuss the character models in XCX . In case you haven't noticed, even some Nintendo fans acknowlege that the faces do infact look off. IGN uploads a video about why they are excited for XCX, and they also mention the character models. They stand out to a lot of people (not in the right way). Are we ALL talking crap about the game? Do we ALL not know what anime is? Personally I've said the faces look "off" and "bad". I havent used phrases like crap,  incredibly fake, creepy, unnatural or  "aberration". You're the one who went all ham and cheese on DA:I for no apparent reason.

If 10 people jump off a cliff, does that make them right and we should all jump? I am not surprised to know that many would, but that doesnt mean we all should, or that they are ultimately right.

To give you a good example, 99% of the people that use the word marketing mean advertisement. They are the vast majority and yet they are wrong. Not that i think that that is the case here, as i think it was quite a vocal minority intent in spreading half-truths.

No, there is nothing off about the faces. The faces have a distinct anime style. It if far more likely and obvious that those people don't understand that is an anime style. You yourself used as comparison games that are atempting realistic depictions of japanese women as DoA5(and i leave to you the pondering of what such a statement represented). All those other games you alude to are using the small eyes design. Xenosaga uses the large eye design. This obviously shuldnt come as a surprise to anyone who watches anime and plays many JRPG's. 

It is simply that you dont want to understand the difference and definitly dislike it. The faces in DA look off to me. They look creepy to me in the way they shine, the pixelation looks, and they certainly move awkward. I'm sure that if you take a step back and understand that we dont all have the same opinions and in design there isnt a "right" opinion, you can realise that you can't be claiming it as a fact. Especially when one is trying to depict realistic faces and the other one isnt.

As for the thread, it was created because some often derail what are legitimate excitement threads with what they try to pass as fact and isnt. Many people, like the OP were rightfully confused by what arent accurate statements, because there is nothing wrong with the faces and they look quite good for the design style they are going for.

As a final note, i brought up Dragon age Inq because its a game where i felt the faces were creepy and off and i am currently trying to get into but the faces are making it quite difficult to take the characters seriously, even though the acting is quite good. They simply dont look pleasant. I struggled to understand this duality of criteria and brought it up. I have a pretty good idea of why it happens though.

Sorry that i have this thing where i just dont settle for what others say and form my own opinion. I know it often generates disconfort, but i believe it makes for good posting.

Nem said:
SubiyaCryolite said:

This thread was specifically created to discuss the character models in XCX . In case you haven't noticed, even some Nintendo fans acknowlege that the faces do infact look off. IGN uploads a video about why they are excited for XCX, and they also mention the character models. They stand out to a lot of people (not in the right way). Are we ALL talking crap about the game? Do we ALL not know what anime is? Personally I've said the faces look "off" and "bad". I havent used phrases like crap,  incredibly fake, creepy, unnatural or  "aberration". You're the one who went all ham and cheese on DA:I for no apparent reason.

If 10 people jump off a cliff, does that make them right and we should all jump? I am not surprised to know that many would, but that doesnt mean we all should, or that they are ultimately right.

To give you a good example, 99% of the people that use the word marketing mean advertisement. They are the vast majority and yet they are wrong. Not that i think that that is the case here, as i think it was quite a vocal minority intent in spreading half-truths.

No, there is nothing off about the faces. The faces have a distinct anime style. It if far more likely and obvious that those people don't understand that is an anime style. You yourself used as comparison games that are atempting realistic depictions of japanese women as DoA5(and i leave to you the pondering of what such a statement represented). All those other games you alude to are using the small eyes design. Xenosaga uses the large eye design. This obviously shuldnt come as a surprise to anyone who watches anime and plays many JRPG's. 

It is simply that you dont want to understand the difference and definitly dislike it. The faces in DA look off to me. They look creepy to me in the way they shine, the pixelation looks, and they certainly move awkward. I'm sure that if you take a step back and understand that we dont all have the same opinions and in design there isnt a "right" opinion, you can realise that you can't be claiming it as a fact. Especially when one is trying to depict realistic faces and the other one isnt.

As for the thread, it was created because some often derail what are legitimate excitement threads with what they try to pass as fact and isnt. Many people, like the OP were rightfully confused by what arent accurate statements, because there is nothing wrong with the faces and they look quite good for the design style they are going for.

As a final note, i brought up Dragon age Inq because its a game where i felt the faces were creepy and off and i am currently trying to get into but the faces are making it quite difficult to take the characters seriously, even though the acting is quite good. They simply dont look pleasant. I struggled to understand this duality of criteria and brought it up. I have a pretty good idea of why it happens though.

Sorry that i have this thing where i just dont settle for what others say and form my own opinion. I know it often generates disconfort, but i believe it makes for good posting

I'll leave it at this. You think the characters look fine and I don't. You think the game is targeting a unique (not fully realistic) style and I don't. And the majority (or minority) is never inherently right or wrong so don't use that in argument's to make your stance any more valid.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network
SubiyaCryolite said:

I'll leave it at this. You think the characters look fine and I don't. You think the game is targeting a unique (not fully realistic) style and I don't. And the majority (or minority) is never inherently right or wrong so don't use that in argument's to make your stance any more valid.

I believe you were the one saying how lots of people say that the faces are bad, therefore they must be right, not me. But fair enough, lets leave it at that.

@classicgamingwhzz

If you can't see the difference in styles, then that is your problem. If only all faces on dragon age looked that nice and looked so natural while talking.

But next time, maybe choose a default face model for the inquisitor. Its not really fair to be comparing something you cant optimise with something you can't, despite the fact that its a pointless comparison in the first place.

And yes, the Xenoblade faces look good aslong as you aren't trying to compare them against a realistic face, wich they arent trying to be, as much as you try to force it. I dont know why i bother, this conversation has run its course. You see it if you choose to see it and not if you are trying to see something else, and i'll leave it at that.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

This is bad and one aberration:

But this is a cool style anime face:

ok then...

Is the first image from a customizable character? if not, it's a pointless comparisson.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Materia-Blade said:

Is the first image from a customizable character? if not, it's a pointless comparisson.

Its my inquisitor , the character i made, the pics i put from x is made too no? If you want me to compare a character from the game and one character from x party its the same story. My character looks better than any one from X that i saw IMO.

allright, in that case, you have to wait untill xenoblade releases and people make their exclusive avatars instead of default trailer models.

Still, you aren't taking artstyle into consideration.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Materia-Blade said:

allright, in that case, you have to wait untill xenoblade releases and people make their exclusive avatars instead of default trailer models.

Still, you aren't taking artstyle into consideration.

why? Not only the ones i posted look bad , almost all of them look weird and i think they are weird because of the artstyle, ofcourse i am taking artstyle in consideration, the problem is artistic vision they used.

But i could care less , i just posted in the thread cause nem said some crazy things about da : i.

The ones you posted are generic default models. when the game releases, we'll see custom made ones that look much better.

Sure, you can dislike the artstyle. But many are misunderstanding that and think that xeno x characters are low quality when they simply aren't liking the aesthetic..