By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I the only person who thinks the characters in XCX look good?

Goatseye said:
Materia-Blade said:

They don't have the same artstyle as xenoblade chronicles characters but they don't look bad at all.

What I see are people trying to downplay the game at any cost and the characters faces was the only thing they could marginally complain about the game.

Besides facial appearances, character animation is Sims series like quality. I don't think anyone is downplaying the game here, OP asked for opinions about the characters.

Additionally, maybe because I'm not used to Japanese RPGs, the voices of some characters especially females are god awful; I mean grown up girls with 5 year old kid voices.

However, the sense of exploration in this game, makes me wanna get a WiiYou.

Here? I said the people saying the faces are look ugly (low quality) are mostly looking for an excuse to downplay the game.

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:

Here? I said the people saying the faces are look ugly (low quality) are mostly looking for an excuse to downplay the game.

I'm sorry but most of them look sub-par with current gen and I think WiiU is capable of much more.

Maybe our expectations were too high, which were fed from the gifs leaked last year.

the_dengle said:
Clyde32 said:

They are now, but not when Xenoblade 3D was revealed. Which is where that picture came from. Notice how the grass is gone in that image.

It's amazing that they've managed to make this game work on a 3DS at all with the only apparent drawbacks being muddy(er) textures and maybe shorter draw distance, but I definitely would not call them identical.

The new 3DS does have a quad-core processor and the original 3ds already had more ram (new 3DS has even more) than the Wii. So it shouldn't have been hard at all. 

New 3DS

- ARM11 MPCore 4x @ 268MHz (one reserved for OS)
- 4x VFPv2 Co-Processor (vector processors, like SPEs in PS3)
- 256MB FCRAM
- 10MB VRAM

PICA200 GPU @ 268MHz

vs. 

Wii

IBM Broadway 729MHz

ATI Hollywood 243MHz

88MB

Anyway I'm more concerned about the aliasing. It is so obvious. I hate aliasing because it distracts me from the game to see flickering bushes and jagged edges on characters. Please tell me that they are going to add some AA by the release of the game. :(

baloofarsan said:

This is what Square wants us to see when we look at Final Fantasy XV:

This is what we actually get:

I had big problems finding a ingame picture(this one is probably from a cutscene).

For games like this, the only reliable source of ingame models is playing the actual game and turning the character around, so you can see the ingame face.

Around the Network
SubiyaCryolite said:
Giggs_11 said:

It seems to me you don't know what anime is...

You learn something new everyday. If XCX is "anime" then what is Final Fantasy XIII, XIV and XV? What is The Last Story? What is DoA and GG? I genuinely want to know.

Xeno X is clearly not anime in it's entirety. it seems like a mix of anime with realistic details. oh, FF 15 isn't anime, it's trying to be realistic with a drop of anime in the middle.

Nem said:

I really struggle to understand this whole thing and it still feels like stepping into the twilight zone when coming to these threads. I have been recently trying to play Dragon age inquisition and one of the most off-putting things i have been trying to overlook are the character faces. They all look hideous. Yeah, they all have these shape, color and shine options but they look creepy and unatural to me, because they are trying to mimic realistic faces.

Xenoblade X doesnt waste time with that and gives us anime style faces that are way easier to look at. Maybe its because not everyone ever watched anime or ever played RPG's wich are stylised around it. It makes no sense to me. If, people said they dont have all the details a human face has, i can understand, but when people say they look bad, even in the case of cross having the evil eyes, i just cant agree or understand. They definitly do not look like the aberrations i see on dragon age, a game where this was never brought up as an issue.

Those complaints generally come to nintendo games and are ignored elsewhere.

spemanig said:

Obviously I can when side by side, but even so, the difference is negligable. It's not a generational leap, that's for sure.

But you were making side-by-side comparisons. If you can see the difference between these two Shulks then there is a visible difference between 3DS Shulk vs XCX and Wii Shulk vs XCX. Even if accidental, it was misleading to use a picture from the 3DS version.

Materia-Blade said:

Xeno X is clearly not anime in it's entirety. it seems like a mix of anime with realistic details. oh, FF 15 isn't anime, it's trying to be realistic with a drop of anime in the middle.

This is the 1st time of heard of such a claim, from developers or even fans. It isnt reflected in the monsters, environments or mechs (which all look as realistic despite being 'fantasy' elements). Sounds like damage control.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

SubiyaCryolite said:

You are right this conversation isn't worth having. Enjoy XCX advanced beard textures, lip sync and lack of clipping.

I find it amusing how you think that would affect me in any way. Play the games dude, not the graphics.