By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I the only person who thinks the characters in XCX look good?

SubiyaCryolite said:
Nem said:

I really struggle to understand this whole thing and it still feels like stepping into the twilight zone when coming to these threads. I have been recently trying to play Dragon age inquisition and one of the most off-putting things i have been trying to overlook are the character faces. They all look hideous. Yeah, they all have these shape, color and shine options but they look creepy and unatural to me, because they are trying to mimic realistic faces.

Xenoblade X doesnt waste time with that and gives us anime style faces that are way easier to look at. Maybe its because not everyone ever watched anime or ever played RPG's wich are stylised around it. It makes no sense to me. If, people said they dont have all the details a human face has, i can understand, but when people say they look bad, even in the case of cross having the evil eyes, i just cant agree or understand. They definitly do not look like the aberrations i see on dragon age, a game where this was never brought up as an issue.

Really now? That's a first.

That looks good to you? Looks incredibly fake to me. Whats with all the gloss? Despite that, it isnt one of the default characters and wait until he starts talking. The hair clipping, the weird beard texture. In the back you have an aberration. Look at that dead stare.

Thats the thing... realistic is incredibly difficult to pull off. The game that has the closest is probably LA Noir. These efforts are cringe worthy to me. Xenoblade X doesnt try that. It takes on its own art direction based on anime. 

Around the Network

I think they look great. Like I've stated before they're supposed to look anime-like faces, even the fighting cutscenes we've seen are anime-like scenes.

People keep trying to compare it to real faces I don't know why. Seriously, it's like bashing on Splatoon or Mario because the character models do not look real... You know what, they're not supposed to!!

The face look okay, better than Xeno on Wii but still not entirely great.
I just hope the faces show a lot of emotion like in the first game.

Nothing worse than ugly, STATIC faces.

Australian Gamer (add me if you like)               
NNID: Maraccuda              
PS Network: Maraccuda           

I like the way they look. Faces and everything.

Nem said:

That looks good to you? Looks incredibly fake to me. Whats with all the gloss? Despite that, it isnt one of the default characters and wait until he starts talking. The hair clipping, the weird beard texture. In the back you have an aberration. Look at that dead stare.

Thats the thing... realistic is incredibly difficult to pull off. The game that has the closest is probably LA Noir. These efforts are cringe worthy to me. Xenoblade X doesnt try that. It takes on its own art direction based on anime. 

As for the "Anime look and feel" I can think of several games that pull off anime models much better than XCX. Final Fantasy XIII, XIV and XV. Dead or Alive. Guilty Gear Xrd. The Last Story. Etc  

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Around the Network
SubiyaCryolite said:
Nem said:

As for the "Anime look and feel" I can think of several games that pull off anime models much better than XCX. Final Fantasy XIII, XIV and XV. Dead or Alive. Guilty Gear Xrd. The Last Story. Etc  

I feel the same way when i see the criticism for Xenoblade X faces. The difference beeing that Xeno isnt trying to be realistic, and DA is.

Also, bringing cell shaded games and games that arent even anime styled into this makes me not even want to bother having this conversation. Your whole problem seems to be that the eyes are big anime eyes, while those games you mention arent using that style. If you dont like the style, you dont like the style. There are no horrible looking faces. There faces you personally dont like the style of, just like i dont the DA ones. 

Let me make this clear: These faces are not supposed to look realistic! 

They are meant to be pleasent and cute though. Something that wont be achieved if you keep expecting them to look realistic. I swear... its like you have never watched anime. I'm saying this to you, but i'm sure it applies to more people.

Nem said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
Nem said:

I feel the same way when i see the criticism for Xenoblade X faces. The difference beeing that Xeno isnt trying to be realistic, and DA is.

Also, bringing cell shaded games and games that arent even anime styled into this makes me not even want to bother having this conversation. Your whole problem seems to be that the eyes are big anime eyes, while those games you mention arent using that style. If you dont like the style, you dont like the style. There are no horrible looking faces. There faces you personally dont like the style of, just like i dont the DA ones. 

Let me make this clear: These faces are not supposed to look realistic! 

They are meant to be pleasent and cute though. Something that wont be achieved if you keep expecting them to look realistic. I swear... its like you have never watched anime. I'm saying this to you, but i'm sure it applies to more people.

You are right this conversation isn't worth having. Enjoy XCX advanced beard textures, lip sync and lack of clipping.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

This is what Square wants us to see when we look at Final Fantasy XV:

This is what we actually get:

I had big problems finding a ingame picture(this one is probably from a cutscene).

SubiyaCryolite said:
Nem said:

It seems to me you don't know what anime is...

One more thing regarding this subject: why is it that the ones more worried about the faces on XCX are the ones who aren't even going to play it?

Damage control for not being able to play it so they try to bash it on the little things and (try to) feel better about not playing it? Yeah, that won't work...