By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I the only person who thinks the characters in XCX look good?

The difference is that the characters actually matched the style and texturing of the world in Xenoblade Chronicles. They don't in this. The type of texturing and lighting used in XCX is much closer to realistic. Realistic characters with skin instead of plastic would've looked better in this game.
In XC, the actual world is much more stylized with very bold colour choices and much higher contrast than in a realistic environment. You could never convince someone that the world of Xenoblade Chronicles was a real place. Whereas some of the parts of the city in XCX, do look very photo-realistic.

Around the Network
baloofarsan said:

This is what we actually get:

I had big problems finding a ingame picture(this one is probably from a cutscene).

I think that, (above) was from a cutscene when it was still in development for PS3.

Now this, (below) is not a cutscene.

The detailed character models matches the environment.

I'm not downplaying XCX, I'm just showing the difference it would make if XCX didn't use big anime eyes on their characters in a detailed world.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

Interesting...
Once the mind is blind and closed upon its ideas, the eye can't see a thing.

Giggs_11 said:
SubiyaCryolite said:
Nem said:

That looks good to you? Looks incredibly fake to me. Whats with all the gloss? Despite that, it isnt one of the default characters and wait until he starts talking. The hair clipping, the weird beard texture. In the back you have an aberration. Look at that dead stare.

Thats the thing... realistic is incredibly difficult to pull off. The game that has the closest is probably LA Noir. These efforts are cringe worthy to me. Xenoblade X doesnt try that. It takes on its own art direction based on anime. 

As for the "Anime look and feel" I can think of several games that pull off anime models much better than XCX. Final Fantasy XIII, XIV and XV. Dead or Alive. Guilty Gear Xrd. The Last Story. Etc  

It seems to me you don't know what anime is...

You learn something new everyday. If XCX is "anime" then what is Final Fantasy XIII, XIV and XV? What is The Last Story? What is DoA and GG? I genuinely want to know.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

deskpro2k3 said:
baloofarsan said:

I'm not downplaying XCX, I'm just showing the difference it would make if XCX didn't use big anime eyes on their characters in a detailed world.

It was not my intenion to downplay FF either, just that they have better advertising when it comes to giving the customer a premium feel. Xenoblade characters ingame are OK as you mostly look at their behind, bur cutscenes could be a little better. Monolith should ask Intelligent Systems to help, the cutscenes from Fire Emblem are glorious and better animated than what I have seen from Xenoblade.They also have the more cartoony look that Monolith are aiming for.

Around the Network
Metallox said:
HollyGamer said:
They look average for JRPG lover and it will look bad when non avid JRPG seeing it. The reason why people care more XCX then Xenoblade because Xenoblade is on Wii, so the character is not very detailed and most of people doesn't care for face detail because of the graphic capability, Unlike XCX where is not an excuse anymore with Wii U hardware where they expecting more. But i don.t care this game is my most wanted games for this year after FFXV and Persona 5 and the one that push me to get Wii U.

There's clearly a huge improvement between Chronicles and X faces. 

how huge? and try compare it with FF13 ps3 vs FF 12 Ps2?

Doesn't affect my interest in the game, but they look like mannequins masquerading as humans from an 80's movie. Massive difference between the quality of the character models and the environments.

They don't have the same artstyle as xenoblade chronicles characters but they don't look bad at all.

What I see are people trying to downplay the game at any cost and the characters faces was the only thing they could marginally complain about the game.

the_dengle said:

You really can't tell?

Obviously I can when side by side, but even so, the difference is negligable. It's not a generational leap, that's for sure.

Materia-Blade said:

They don't have the same artstyle as xenoblade chronicles characters but they don't look bad at all.

What I see are people trying to downplay the game at any cost and the characters faces was the only thing they could marginally complain about the game.

Besides facial appearances, character animation is Sims series like quality. I don't think anyone is downplaying the game here, OP asked for opinions about the characters.

Additionally, maybe because I'm not used to Japanese RPGs, the voices of some characters especially females are god awful; I mean grown up girls with 5 year old kid voices.

However, the sense of exploration in this game, makes me wanna get a WiiYou.