By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata Cites Cheaper Software/More Remakes For 3DS, No Price Cuts.

From a Nikkei (Japan's equivalent of the Wall Street Journal) interview with Iwata:

http://asia.nikkei.com/Japan-Update/Nintendo-to-offer-more-low-cost-software

- Nintendo to make more cheap software for 3DS, remakes of past games for 3DS and ports of smartphone titles (I guess Mario: Puzzles & Dragons fits in this category); could be sold for as low as a few hundred yen. Low development costs for these games. Maybe we'll see a Mario 64 3DS? 

- Christmas/holiday sales were sluggish/poor. No New 3DS for the Western markets in time for the holidays was one reason says Iwata. 

- Despite that, Iwata stresses no price cut coming for hardware any time soon. 

- Sees a return to "Nintendo like" profits ($800 million+) in fiscal year ending March 2017. To me this is pretty much yet another confirmation that the 3DS successor will launch in 2016 as there's no chance Nintendo can hit fiscal profit of $800+ million without a new product to drive sales for most of 2016. 

- More free trials of games that let you play the first few levels for free, then charge you for the rest of the game. 

Around the Network

I guess Xenoblade for 3DS would also fit into the remake categorey. Wonder what else they could remake for 3DS.

I think Punch-Out! is coming for 3DS, but maybe they'll add some new opponents so it won't be a full port of the Wii game (already available on the Wii U eShop).

I wonder if Star Fox U, Project: Giant Robot, Project; Guard, will fall into the "free to download" episodic (errr F2P) style pricing structure too. 

No, no, and no. That won't do. Iwata, did you not see all those anti-port threads we've had on VGC? It's going to be a rage-filled bloodbath, mark my words. Late ports are hated even more than DLC.

Though, it does seem like the hate had died down for DLC recently ... hm.

What about Wii U pricecut?

pokoko said:
No, no, and no. That won't do. Iwata, did you not see all those anti-port threads we've had on VGC? It's going to be a rage-filled bloodbath, mark my words. Late ports are hated even more than DLC.

Though, it does seem like the hate had died down for DLC recently ... hm.

It's weird but a lot of things are now perfectly acceptable.. Wonder why x}

People should just stop being judgmental and then a moment later worship physical DLC (amiibo), encourage product placement (Mario Kart 8 Mercedes DLC), buy day-one DLC (Mario Golf), support ports that are obsolete 2 months after release (Super Smash Brothers 3DS), buy 2 almost identical games and in that way give the publisher incentive to continue making 1 save slot and a few ingame exclusive differences (Pokémon Ruby & Sapphire remakes), etc.

I enjoy my 3DS and Wii U a lot but I'd prefer to be without some users double standards.

Around the Network

Offering mobile games? That sounds interesting. I can't wait to play Kim Kardashian: Hollywood on my 3DS.

reggin_bolas said:
What about Wii U pricecut?

Don't expect it any time soon it seems. 

I get the feeling 2015 is kind of a "lets just tread water" year for Nintendo. Their goal for 2015 is just to minimize losses and get out with a decent profit even with declining 3DS sales. 

2016 which leads into the fiscal year end in March 2017 is what Nintendo seems to be focused on, I think both the next hardware (3DS successor) and QoL products will launch in 2016 and they are banking on those two product lines to bring them back to larger profits. 

as long as i will still have great games!

Switch!!!

I could have sworn that Nintendo fans spent the past 2-3 years raging on about how remakes are a total cop-out and meaningless software, yet this is what Iwata wants to help the 3DS keep relevance in the market? I am honestly shocked to my core at how poor Nintendo have been at learning from their mistakes and reading markets since 2010-2011, I believe they need fresh blood at the helm and they need to allocate more influence and decision making in the West if they want to cause ripples in the industry from here on out.

Also; no N3DS for Western markets, say hello to massive global declines yoy... And he somehow expects profits to increase using these methods.

So Wii U sales will continue to be sub-50,000 units per week for most of the year. Cool.