By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata Cites Cheaper Software/More Remakes For 3DS, No Price Cuts.

Soundwave said:
Mummelmann said:

I don't care all that much about remakes either, especially if it's the same game with only redone visuals, as opposed to a new game entirely with added mechanics etc. The reason I mentioned Nintendo fans is the massive storm of critique against games like "The Last of Us" remake and "Halo: Master Chief Collection" by Nintendo fans on this site, citing that "remakes are what are supposed to sell these consoles? The Wii U has all the best games and exclusives".

Regardless of whether or not they are year old ports; the fact still remains that Iwata seemingly thinks this will be sufficient for the 3DS this year, with it already looming over a very likely big decline yoy, especially since there won't be a N3DS in the West and no price cut. It's almost as if he doesn't care at all sometimes; not only have their ND's shifted focus back onto the 3DS again; but the main platform for their income will rely on semi-decent Japanese hardware sales and remakes to keep it afloat? It's a horrible, horrible plan at best.

I should clarify the New 3DS is coming to the West, it just wasn't available for the holidays, I worded that kinda weird. 

I think portable remakes don't get as much flak because they offer the new functionality of being able to experience the game on the go. Whereas console remakes generally don't bring much new to the table other than better graphics sometimes. 

Though personally I never really understood the knock against remakes. I think the issue is more about when you have a new platform, you want new platform defining software for the console upfront. Remakes coming later on in the lifecycle aren't as big of a deal. 

Completely agree with the bolded.  

And I don't understand the confusion about N3DS coming to the West.  I mean, it's kinda common knowledge here that it hits next week, isn't it?

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
POE said:
800 million is not so much when you consider that this year they will make like 600 million.

Not sure where you're getting that number from. 

Nintendo's forecast for this fiscal year (ending March 2015) is $254 million in profit, the bulk of that coming from a favorable currency flucuations (yen/dollar), also all the Wii U's they sold for most of this fiscal year where pure profit because they were manufactured for the previous fiscal year (Nintendo simply couldn't sell them then, and took a book loss on their manufaturing last fiscal year). That's a bit of an anamoly that won't happen again. 

Nope. They expect to make $254 million in operational profit. Net profit are expected to be something like 600 million.

POE said:
Soundwave said:
POE said:
800 million is not so much when you consider that this year they will make like 600 million.

Nintendo's forecast for this fiscal year (ending March 2015) is $254 million in profit, the bulk of that coming from a favorable currency flucuations (yen/dollar), also all the Wii U's they sold for most of this fiscal year where pure profit because they were manufactured for the previous fiscal year (Nintendo simply couldn't sell them then, and took a book loss on their manufaturing last fiscal year). That's a bit of an anamoly that won't happen again. 

Nope. They expect to make $254 million in operational profit. Net profit are expected to be something like 600 million.

That's incorrect. Operating income will be $169 million (forecast). Net income will be $254 million.

A huge disparity between operating income and net income isn't good because it inidicates you are making money, but only because of external factors (like currency flucuation and layoffs) not because of your actual core business (video game sales). That's why investors tend to look more closely at the operating income figure, because it's a more accurate look at a company's actual health/performance. That's also why you may recall Nintendo's stock price got rocked last week, because Nintendo downgraded their operating profit number signficantly for the fiscal year. 

Soundwave said:
POE said:
Soundwave said:
POE said:

That's incorrect. Operating income will be $169 million (forecast). Net income will be $254 million.

A huge disparity between operating income and net income isn't good because it inidicates you are making money, but only because of external factors (like currency flucuation and layoffs) not because of your actual core business (video game sales). 

read this article, maybe im not understanding it well. It says they profit for the first 9 months 500 million.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/nintendo-profits-jump-full-year-profit-forecast-rises-1.2209678

POE said:
Soundwave said:

A huge disparity between operating income and net income isn't good because it inidicates you are making money, but only because of external factors (like currency flucuation and layoffs) not because of your actual core business (video game sales). 

read this article, maybe im not understanding it well. It says they profit for the first 9 months 500 million.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/business/nintendo-profits-jump-full-year-profit-forecast-rises-1.2209678

The article is a bit mistaken on a few points. Nintendo didn't raise their full year forecast. They cut it from 40 million yen to 20 million yen operating income ($169 million approx). This is why their stock took a hit last week. This is a better article:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/28/us-nintendo-results-idUSKBN0L10LX20150128

Nintendo hasn't made $800 million in a year in a long time now, probably 5 years at least (I'd have to look it up) which would take us back when the Wii/DS were still very strong. So if they're expecting that number for FY 2017, they must have something(s) huge launching in 2016. No doubt about it. 

Around the Network

I'll just add to this -- Advance Wars 3DS, pretty, pretty please Nintendo?

You can even just use the existing DS engine and release it as en eShop only title, I don't mind. Just gimme some Advance Wars goodness.

Give me a remake of Super Mario 64 DS for Wii U with the same engine as Captain Toad Treasure Tracker and 3D World and allow Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, and Wario to be playing on the screen at the same time.

I would pay 60$ for that. Even if online multiplayer isn't included (which it should...)

Soundwave said:
POE said:

The article is a bit mistaken on a few points. Nintendo didn't raise their full year forecast. They cut it from 40 million yen to 20 million yen operating income ($169 million approx). This is why their stock took a hit last week. This is a better article:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/28/us-nintendo-results-idUSKBN0L10LX20150128

Nintendo hasn't made $800 million in a year in a long time now, probably 5 years at least (I'd have to look it up) which would take us back when the Wii/DS were still very strong. So if they're expecting that number for FY 2017, they must have something(s) huge launching in 2016. No doubt about it. 

ok but what about the 500 million in profit for the first 9 months of the year. thats even in their official pr statement.

padib said:

It's better than barely any games at all like on the Vita.

I think we already had this thread. Vita is getting more games in Japan, where 3DS is king, and the worldwide gap is going to be even bigger since Vita is virtually drowning in indie games while 3DS gets next to nothing from western devs.

Soundwave said:
I've been saying it for a while.

Nintendo Fusion Handheld - spring/summer 2016 launch (Japan first)

Nintendo Fusion Home Version - November 2016 launch

That will be what Nintendo banks on to drive profit for FY March 2017.

They are also IMO "hoarding" their big guns for this product launch -- Animal Crossing and Mario Galaxy 3 will be for this new platform, I'd bet money on it.

I think that seems like a reasonable assessment. I certainly think the 3DS will be replaced in 2016.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.