By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Iwata Cites Cheaper Software/More Remakes For 3DS, No Price Cuts.

The lack of price cut makes a degree of sense since they probably want to make the New 3DS look like the better option. N3DS will have a larger library which means more potential software sales which equals more money. Anything they make off people buying the old models is gravy.

Around the Network
padib said:

I'm not trying to bash the Vita. I'm talking about first party games, as confirmed by Sony themselves.

OP is about first party games.

Reading back, maybe you just meant remakes like MM3D, but the OP is about Nintendo looking toward remakes, small cheap games, and ports of mobile games. I'm pretty sure Nintendo isn't going to waste a lot of their own manpower porting mobile games themselves just to sell them for a few hundred yen, so it raises the question of what exactly constitutes a first party game in this context.

These sorts of things have been the bulk of Sony's Vita efforts for years now, ever since they've stopped doing things the scale of Uncharted and Killzone. They don't always slap their name on everything they do, but there's a reason that people complain that the Vita doesn't "deserve" all the games it gets. Tales of Hearts R's western release, RE Revelations 2, Grim Fandango Remastered, etc., all only happen because of Sony's first party.

Soundwave said:

- Nintendo to make more cheap software for 3DS, remakes of past games for 3DS and ports of smartphone titles (I guess Mario: Puzzles & Dragons fits in this category); could be sold for as low as a few hundred yen. Low development costs for these games. Maybe we'll see a Mario 64 3DS? 

Normally I would say I'm okay with just remakes and cheaper games for the rest of the 3DS lifespan since its had enough games, but since Nintendo decided to put out a hardware revision and say the N3DS would have exclusive games that you can only play on it there better be more than just remakes that take advantage of that extra power.

I can't imagine them releasing a new handheld so soon. Itd piss a lot of fans off that bought the new 3DS if they had to go out and buy another brand new handheld a year or less later. I also think it would be stupid to focus on cheap mobile games and remakes on your most successful console-_-

averagegamer515 said:
I can't imagine them releasing a new handheld so soon. Itd piss a lot of fans off that bought the new 3DS if they had to go out and buy another brand new handheld a year or less later. I also think it would be stupid to focus on cheap mobile games and remakes on your most successful console-_-

Nintendo DS released 1.5 years after Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo 3DS released about 2 years after DSi so for Nintendo to release a new handheld in mid 2016 isn't out of the question.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
averagegamer515 said:

Nintendo DS released 1.5 years after Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo 3DS released about 2 years after DSi so for Nintendo to release a new handheld in mid 2016 isn't out of the question.

The earlier I see Nintendo launching a New handheld is X-mas 2016. I was more thinking about Spring 2017, since they do launch handhelds in Spring & then launch the next home console X-mas 2017, but X-mas 2016 is possible for the next hangheld, sooner would mean 1 year for New 3DS, that's too little...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

KingdomHeartsFan said:
Soundwave said:

- Nintendo to make more cheap software for 3DS, remakes of past games for 3DS and ports of smartphone titles (I guess Mario: Puzzles & Dragons fits in this category); could be sold for as low as a few hundred yen. Low development costs for these games. Maybe we'll see a Mario 64 3DS? 

Normally I would say I'm okay with just remakes and cheaper games for the rest of the 3DS lifespan since its had enough games, but since Nintendo decided to put out a hardware revision and say the N3DS would have exclusive games that you can only play on it there better be more than just remakes that take advantage of that extra power.

Im going to go on record and say you are about to be very, VERY dissapointed.

padib said:

You could be partly right. The OP seems to mention both. In that sense, that portion of OP would then liken the 3DS' final years much closer to the Vita. The first part makes it closer to the PS4's launch period (mostly remakes).

Despite the flack Sony gets for not releasing a good volume of proper 1st party games on the Vita, they are making profitable effort behind the scenes. So I would agree with this portion of the change more than if it were remakes alone.

Then again Sony helped secure the Vita with ports of some great games (since I'll take you on your word, I'm not as good at knowing things when it comes to the Vita), whereas the 3DS will be securing ports of smartphone games. I'm not sure this effort on Nintendo's part will be of the same caliber but at least it's not just remakes.

Yeah, it looks that way depending on whether Iwata means this will be in addition to their usual 3DS support or that they're shifting to this as the primary focus for the remainder of the 3DS' life. That he expects to return to typical profitability in the next couple of years seems to indicate the launch of something by then, either a 3DS successor or the rumored unified system. In either case it could mean they are indeed moving on from the 3DS in order to have all hands on deck for next gen, and this is their stopgap measure. I'll be interested to see whether they single out what they deem to be the most appropriate mobile games or just generally try to encourage mobile devs to jump on board with the 3DS (I hope the former).

Sony's efforts with the Vita are widely misunderstood. They have been a lot more hands on than it seems. But since they deserve a lot of flak for how stupidly they launched the thing, I guess it's pretty much a wash.

Game_God said:
zorg1000 said:

The earlier I see Nintendo launching a New handheld is X-mas 2016. I was more thinking about Spring 2017, since they do launch handhelds in Spring & then launch the next home console X-mas 2017, but X-mas 2016 is possible for the next hangheld, sooner would mean 1 year for New 3DS, that's too little...

Spring/Summer 2016 gives New 3DS 1.5 years on the market before a successor, which is a completely reasonable amount of time.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Game_God said:

Spring/Summer 2016 gives New 3DS 1.5 years on the market before a successor, which is a completely reasonable amount of time.

DSi XL was the last DS revision and that was basically a year before the 3DS launched. And Nintendo promised exclusive games for the DSi too, lol, that went nowhere. 

It's not like the New 3DS ceases to exist the moment the new handheld comes out anyway, Nintendo needs the New 3DS as the 3DS will have to be stocked through 2018 most likely.

5+ years for the 3DS as the primary Nintendo handheld is more than enough too especially considering its sales/year rate was lower than the DS or even Game Boy Advance. 

DS got 6 years but it deserved the 6 years because it sold 150 million, not the 70-75 million the 3DS is on pace for, and even there Nintendo wanted to launch 3DS in holiday 2010 but just didn't have enough software ready to go.