By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is Splatoon being rushed?

alternine said:
padib said:

It's not a question of time or ambition, it's a question of real, tangible business constaints.

This is a new IP, they are uncertain of its success and thus will maximize their success for this new game. if it goes well, then they will add modes given a larger player base.

ToxicJosh is right on the money.

Im not paying 50 or 60 bucks for Nintendo's experiment. If they're not making Splatoon as great as it can be AT LAUNCH then they don't deserve anyones money. 

So you never buy any games that have DLC since they are not " as great as it can be AT LAUNCH then they don't deserve anyones money."

Around the Network
t3mporary_126 said:
Game_God said:

Here is another similar valid question: Are you from another planet?

Because I have no proof that you are human, never in you post you prove you are human, so you must be a Roswell!!!

Being serious now, your title is very misleading! By your logic: 2+2= green, so it's pizza!

The title is arguably misleading but the question is warranted. Splatoon lacks features that are essential and present in most shooters in the market today. Not having those ready at launch could result from Nintendo disregarding online gameplay again or the lack of time in creating polished online modes for random matches online with voice chat. 

Then we agree, the title is misleading, I understand that you wanted to bait us to your thread... well done :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

The_Yoda said:
alternine said:
padib said:

It's not a question of time or ambition, it's a question of real, tangible business constaints.

This is a new IP, they are uncertain of its success and thus will maximize their success for this new game. if it goes well, then they will add modes given a larger player base.

ToxicJosh is right on the money.

Im not paying 50 or 60 bucks for Nintendo's experiment. If they're not making Splatoon as great as it can be AT LAUNCH then they don't deserve anyones money. 

So you never buy any games that have DLC since they are not " as great as it can be AT LAUNCH then they don't deserve anyones money."

(using Unreal Tournament voice) Unstoppable!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

JustBeingReal said:

I think it was already running pretty smoothly at E3 last year, if it was rushed it'd be buggy, but that doesn't appear to be the case, or I haven't read anyone say they found it have any of those kinds of issues. It just seems the things you're mentioning (OP) are Nintendo's choices for the game.

For the kind of game Splatoon is I don't think it's being rushed, from Wikipedia it says this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splatoon
"In mid-2013, one member of the Animal Crossing development team, Shintaro Sato, created a four-versus-four paint-based territory control game set in a featureless arena.[8] After management approved making the prototype into a full game, the team started expanding its concepts."

So it's around 2 years in full production by the time it comes out in May this year.
If I remember correctly a game like Toad Treasure Tracker only took a year to develop. While Splatoon is a new IP, it's assets aren't particularly complex in design, although it does have a nice art style.

As for the Voice Chat issue, I think that may be because Nintendo are concerned about kids and adults interacting, basically them trying to be the parent and prevent any harmful abuse by kids to adults.

The Bots thing could be a technical issue, although I don't see why Wii U can't handle AI for Bots in a multiplayer, PS3 and 360 did in some games.

The 4V4 thing could just be what they feel is the best dynamic, without things getting too hectic or messing with the kind of pace they're trying to set in their game.

The lack of info about certain aspects of the game is like any other developer trying to hold back some details so they can keep people from knowing the full story until they feel it's time to bring that out for their marketing campaign for the game.

Nintendo can always add things in DLC or make additions in the future, if the masses aren't happy with how the game pans out. I don't think Nintendo have done many online centered multiplayer games, but really I think much of these things the OP sees as issues are just subjective choices Nintendo have made for their own reasons and they're trying to make this their own style of shooter.

Personally as a more single player focused gamer I would like to find out something about that, info is pretty thin on the ground unless I've missed something about it.

TBH considering the game has been said to have Single and Multi Player, One on One local multiplayer, unless the MP only features a few maps and the Single Player is really short I wouldn't say it's been rushed.
Not much is known about the level of content yet as far as I'm aware.

I guess we'll find out pretty soon.

Fixed that for you, I've played plenty of games with mouthy little 8 year olds.

t3mporary_126 said:

Due to recent news it may seem so. So far Splatoon lacks features that are common for online shooter at this day and age. 

These include:

1. No voice chat in random online matches

2. No bots available in 4 vs 4 matches

3. No online modes other than the one 4 vs 4 match in random online matches*

*We have no info about online matches with friends yet

Compared to other FPS and TPS with online modes made by well known developers, this is pretty barebone. Or are we asking too much from Nintendo? Have we taken for granted that other FPS and TPS offer much more options? 

Splatoon is planned to release this May. Will Nintendo have time to revise and add more features? Or will they stick to what they have?

1. GOOD no need to hear  even more 12year olds with their 1cent trashcan-tier headsets like I hear in supposetly M rated games (that more kids play than adults)
2. This really is a bummer imo
3. Well maybe 2 on 2  can be useful its still a team game.  And I believe there is several modes within the 4on4 matches.

Around the Network

No. Those are design choices. It's not missing any feature.

spemanig said:
Gammalad said:
Odds are there will probably be game mode expansions over the years instead of getting a yearly Splatoon release there will probably be free add on DLC

You're being extremely optimistic.

Not really, in the translation of the interview I read, it said they plan on supporting the game post-release. I'm sure that implies fine-tuning and patching if needed, but it may also suggest DLC. Whether it's free or not...that's another discussion entirely. 

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

Just a small update for this but this is what was officially said:
- No way to directly communicate with people you’ve been randomly matched with. They will appear post-match in your Plaza, where you can check out their gear, weapons, and comment.

They might have voice chat for your friends it seems

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

As much as I would love to see more in the game, I still think that it will feel like a full game upon release. Anything more would just be a bonus

Though the lack of voice chat was foreseeable given that this is Nintendo we're talking about, they have effectively torpedoed any chance the game had of attracting a competitive audience outside of the existing Ninty fanbase.

There will be immense backlash to this latest news, and many who were considering getting it will skip it.

I hate to say it, cos I actively dislike chat, which in my experience is used primarily for juvenile and annoying ends, but this is yet another sign that Nintendo just doesn't get it. This is why the Wii U isn't flying off shelves; Nintendo are so far out of touch with today's mainstream gamer it's not even funny. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's pathetic.

Like it or not, the only way to succeed in today's console market is to kowtow to the dudebros.