By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Non-Pewdiepie youtubers about the Nintendo Youtube program

Kemsus said:
Mr Khan said:
The trouble is you have people making money off of stuff they shouldn't be making money off of. You want money, create content. Talking to yourself while playing video games is not content.

i agree, by using the youtubers logic it would be okay to upload an entire movie as long you had your face in the corner reacting to it, no movie company would allow that.

Movies and songs are not the same as video games. Pretty sure everyone can understand this. In the first two you have a passive role, in the second an active one. Watching Super Mario Land 3d is not even remotely the same as playing it. It's a completely different experience. The same can't be said about movies and songs. This analogy is so wrong that it needs to be dropped already. 

Around the Network
naruball said:
Kemsus said:

i agree, by using the youtubers logic it would be okay to upload an entire movie as long you had your face in the corner reacting to it, no movie company would allow that.

Movies and songs are not the same as video games. Pretty sure everyone can understand this. In the first two you have a passive role, in the second an active one. Watching Super Mario Land 3d is not even remotely the same as playing it. It's a completely different experience. The same can't be said about movies and songs. This analogy is so wrong that it needs to be dropped already. 

I disagree in this regard. Some games are gameplay-intensive enough that they cannot be experienced vicariously (watching people play Guitar Hero, for instance), but i could certainly get sufficient exposure to the experience of watching a Super Mario 3D Land LP: it shows you the worlds, it shows you the bosses, it shows you how to get around all of these things. In this way the core experience is quite well replicated.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Paatar said:
These youtubers are making money off of Nintendo's content. It is Nintendor's decision on what to do with the ad rev. If it wasn't for Nintendo, those youtubers would be doing different things. Yes, I think it is a step in the right direction. However, it is Nintendo's money and decision. I think people need to let this go and seriously stop.

It's not so simple. The same reasoning could make us reach the conclusion that everything related to videogames should only advantage the publishers and reviewers should pay Nintendo, Sony, MS, EA etc. to publish their review because these reviewers "are making money off of Nintendo/Sony (ect.)'s content."

Anyway, I'm not even sure Nintendo have the right to do something like this, but even if they have, it's still a very silly marketing move.

Thanks to bring different point of view from different youtubers. At least I find it brings more credibility to the complaints 

Kerotan said:
Mr Khan said:
The trouble is you have people making money off of stuff they shouldn't be making money off of. You want money, create content. Talking to yourself while playing video games is not content.

so tv shows that discuss movies while showing clips from them is not content? or game reviewers reviewing a game? 

There is a big difference between showing a clip of a movie and playing the entire movie.  Btw, those clips and stills are also provided by the movie studios and require licensing and persmission.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

I find this coming from you very odd. What about people doing news, reviews, and commentary with their time isn't content to you? 

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

last92 said:
Paatar said:
These youtubers are making money off of Nintendo's content. It is Nintendor's decision on what to do with the ad rev. If it wasn't for Nintendo, those youtubers would be doing different things. Yes, I think it is a step in the right direction. However, it is Nintendo's money and decision. I think people need to let this go and seriously stop.

It's not so simple. The same reasoning could make us reach the conclusion that everything related to videogames should only advantage the publishers and reviewers should pay Nintendo, Sony, MS, EA etc. to publish their review because these reviewers "are making money off of Nintendo/Sony (ect.)'s content."

Anyway, I'm not even sure Nintendo have the right to do something like this, but even if they have, it's still a very silly marketing move.

I agree, the review thing is stupid. But not with the actual gaming videos.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

marley said:
Kerotan said:

so tv shows that discuss movies while showing clips from them is not content? or game reviewers reviewing a game? 

There is a big difference between showing a clip of a movie and playing the entire movie.  Btw, those clips and stills are also provided by the movie studios and require licensing and persmission.

lets plays can be argued but the big issue is nitnedo claiming everything accross the board. it's frankly BS and going to damage a lot going forward. 

outlawauron said:
Mr Khan said:

I find this coming from you very odd. What about people doing news, reviews, and commentary with their time isn't content to you? 

News, yes. Reviews, yes. Let's Plays, no. I find the argument that the point of watching the let's plays is the commenters personality to be specious at best. To head off the counterexample, nobody would give a damn about John Madden if he were not commenting for the NFL, that's what brings the eyeballs. Minecraft, Metroid, or Medal of Honor is what brings the eyeballs, not Angry Joe, however much folks may feel otherwise.

With news and reviews, you're making an original contribution. With let's plays, you're presenting the work itself with some sort of thin veil that's supposed to make it "okay" to try to make money off of playing videogames.

As Lafiel may have mentioned earlier, if Nintendo is doing the same thing to news or reviews, then that is wrong.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I think it's pretty petty for them to take ad revenue from YouTubers, these people sell their games after all. But to aso require them to allow Nintendo to view and approve them first... lol.