By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Non-Pewdiepie youtubers about the Nintendo Youtube program

I'm going to make a game and get people advertising how fun it is to give me money. And if they don't like it I can simply censor them. What a great idea, Nintendo!

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
spemanig said:
DakonBlackblade said:

Basicaly youre saying Nintendo gets a free pass because its Nintendo. If this was EA programm the world woudlve come crashing down on theyre ehads already. Its an abusive program and Nintendo is passing on free advertising wich is never good, ye they dont need it but they are loosing potential revenue.

t bitch about this either cause them Nintendo could simply not allow any of theyre videos to be published, theyd probably go as far as praising the program if Nintendo required it. Theyre gona give Nintendo some perfect 10 reviews whenever they can so they stay on Nints good side and dont get theyre channel put down by the big N.

That's absolutely crazy. Incase you forgot, Nintendo already did "worse" last year, and absolutely none of that happened. That's just jargon that these guys want to spit to make people side with them. In reality, this isn't going to effect the review integrity of anyone who had integrity before all of this.

Even if EA did this, the result would be exactly the same. Youtubers would bitch about it for a week, and then everyone would forget about it and barely anything would change. There would still be honest reviews of there games, like there always is, there would still be let's plays, there would still be commentairy, and the world would continue spinning. They are whining about a non-issue. They don't own the content, they just own the license to play it. That's copy right. That's how it works. It's within the rights of the copy right holder to excercise their right as they see fit, within the realms of the law. Nothing unlawful is being done, at all. If a couple little youtubers want to protest Nintendo, that's fine, but it won't effect Nintendo at all, because there are a million others who won't.

So when people say Nintendo "needs" them, I laugh. They don't.

This is one of the only times I will ever agree on you. The effect of Lets Players on games are exaggerated.

Bet with Xander XT: 

I can beat more games on his 3DS than he can on my PSVita in a month. Loser has to buy the winner a game on his/her handheld Guess who won? http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=193531

Me!

Yea a billion dollar corporation like nintendo really needs measly thousands or hundreds of dollars, I guess wii u is losing them millions of dollars? It's the only explanation I can think of for them to do this...

I think we've all learned over the past year not to take Youtuber's too seriously. Bunch of self centered rapists and social justice warriors.

Nintendo are in the right to take a swing at them, just like with PETA.

What is that about me being grotesquely biased because they basically just handed me the Metroid Prime Trilogy? *Gasp!* How did you know?

(Yes they're in the wrong, but damn I'm getting tired of Youtubers constantly being in the news.)

I hope this back fires and explodes in their face just like when they tried bullying 3rd party developers back in the days, it's been 20+ years and it's still hurting them

Around the Network
Lyrikalstylez said:
I hope this back fires and explodes in their face just like when they tried bullying 3rd party developers back in the days, it's been 20+ years and it's still hurting them

Basically Nintendo is pulling an EA here, but its Nintendo so its all good and for the best of the industry. Its actualy them trying to get a very small amount of money by opressing youtubers who were indirectly generating a lot of money to Nint due to free publicity. Now that there are a bunch of Nintendo channels around and Nint know they cant survive whithout accepting this deal they can get most of the publicity + money and regulate everything put on youtube by those channels to make Nintendo look like the good guys. Ppl should be outraged, but hey its Nintendo. 

The Fury said:
Scoobes said:

The Last of Us is actually a good example. It's one of the most linear games you could play, yet every playthrough is different. One player may completely sneak through an area whilst another may create their own weaponry and fight through. Some players may miss sections of levels where they could have gotten bonus items. Another player may find an alternate route into a building. Even though it's a linear game the actual playthrough experience can be quite different from player to player (unlike the comic example where the experience is the same whether you read it or have it read/shown to you).

@ bolded

Watching people playing on youtube isn't really something I'm a fan of, but obviously other people are. Perhaps it's the commentary, or maybe they want to see enough footage to determine whether they would enjoy playing the game themselves (and help to determine whether or not to purchase). In the past this same passive experience would be limited to going round a friends house and watching them playing through part of a game. Now it can be broadcast around the world providing plenty of "word of mouth" advertising.

The fact that they're passively watching the game instead of directly participating is what makes this OK (and actually a positive) compared to other media. They're not getting the intended and full experience of the video game, just some extra details of the experience that reading reviews can't really give. They have to purchase the game before they can get the direct and intended experience.

Coming back to The Last of Us, my nephew decided to purchase the game after seeing youtube videos of game footage (and he happily watches clips of game playthroughs and random commentators). So for at least one person, with a pretty linear game, a purchase was made based on passively watching youtube vids.

But that's just it, it's different from player to player experience but it's people watching 1 person playing. Which brings us on to the second point. If I watch a gameplay video of someone play a game to get an idea of how it play, I won't continue to watch the entire series of their gameplay, I'll watch the first video, then decide if the game looks good or not.  I too have seen videos from people playing on youtube and because of their word of mouth review bought and enjoyed the game (only really once and that was Borderlands 2... I bought it used so...). Yet there are people who do, they watch all the cutscenes, all the gameplay.

Yet, it still doesn't excuse the fact they are making money from other people's work. You say people are passively watching, but I listen to music on youtube, more so than in the real world and I know adverts pay for much of that. If someone else took that music and did a video of it, they wouldn't be able to advertise on it, infact adverts may appear but proceeds going to the musician not that person. Taking books as example again, I could read a book out loud on camera in video form and claim money for this with not a penny going to the writer and it would not be seen as okay to do this. 

I wonder what in game player's minds make them privileged enough to be above that obvious copyright infringment just for the sake of 'word of mouth' advertising. I also, wonder why it matters to them so much that Nintendo has a policy such as this, if they don't want to sign up to it, just don't do Nintendo videos or just don't advertise on those videos. To complain that they can't is being greedy.

With music it's exactly the same as all the other media you've mentioned; the enoyment stems from the listening. It's passive entertainment (like reading or vewing films/TV) as opposed to directly interactive. The laws were made when gaming wasn't a mainstream hobby, so you could argue that the laws for this particular case/entertainment media are dated. As I said in my previous post, people have been sharing these types of experiences for years, only now it's also online.

On your point about youtube viewers who only watch the cutscenes and gameplay, you could also argue that those people were highly unlikely to have purchased the game if that was their only motivation.

As for your last point, I think most people, myself included, aren't arguing that Nintendo can't do this. By current law and by rights, they can protect their IP. However, it doesn't necessarily make good business sense, especially as other publishers haven't implemented anything quite as stringent as this. The fact that this is a beta program suggests that Nintendo aren't too sure either.

Scoobes said:

As for your last point, I think most people, myself included, aren't arguing that Nintendo can't do this. By current law and by rights, they can protect their IP. However, it doesn't necessarily make good business sense, especially as other publishers haven't implemented anything quite as stringent as this. The fact that this is a beta program suggests that Nintendo aren't too sure either.

You are argueing Nintendo shouldn't do this, am I'm basically saying all video game developers SHOULD do it. Video game players on youtube who are lucky enough to make money (and some stupid amounts of money) from it are in a situation where the current scenario is hugely beneficial for them personally, not the companies they are advertising for. I'm saying they are greedy because of their position. They should be hugely grateful for what they are doing but they seem not to be.

Hmm, pie.

Twilord said:

I think we've all learned over the past year not to take Youtuber's too seriously. Bunch of self centered rapists and social justice warriors.

Nintendo are in the right to take a swing at them, just like with PETA.

What is that about me being grotesquely biased because they basically just handed me the Metroid Prime Trilogy? *Gasp!* How did you know?

(Yes they're in the wrong, but damn I'm getting tired of Youtubers constantly being in the news.)

Same here, group of entitled brats who want money for recording themselves playing games while screaming like they've just been taken in a prison shower.