By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Non-Pewdiepie youtubers about the Nintendo Youtube program

I feel that Nintendo should have tried to make a policy similar to other game companies. Videos of games on the internet help boost their popularity and Nintendo seems to have trouble realizing this. I hope that they don't use this to censor honest criticism on their games though because then I would no longer support them at all.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

News, yes. Reviews, yes. Let's Plays, no. I find the argument that the point of watching the let's plays is the commenters personality to be specious at best. To head off the counterexample, nobody would give a damn about John Madden if he were not commenting for the NFL, that's what brings the eyeballs. Minecraft, Metroid, or Medal of Honor is what brings the eyeballs, not Angry Joe, however much folks may feel otherwise.

With news and reviews, you're making an original contribution. With let's plays, you're presenting the work itself with some sort of thin veil that's supposed to make it "okay" to try to make money off of playing videogames.

As Lafiel may have mentioned earlier, if Nintendo is doing the same thing to news or reviews, then that is wrong.

I disagree. I watch Angry Joe's videos because I like that youtuber, he's a funny guy and I respect his opinion and unbiasedness. That's the whole point, though, isn't it? Your definition of "original contribution" may be different from mine...maybe I think that what these youtubers say or do during the videos is "original contribution". After all, if some youtubers have a lot of subscriptions, that must mean that their contribution is somehow relevant...either way every channel should have roughly the same amount of subscriptions.

Anfebious said:
The blonde girl is very cute! (Not as cute as me though..)

OT: Screw you Nintendo, comply with these peasants, give them what they want already.

That's dodger, and yes there are nudes

Mr Khan said:

News, yes. Reviews, yes. Let's Plays, no. I find the argument that the point of watching the let's plays is the commenters personality to be specious at best. To head off the counterexample, nobody would give a damn about John Madden if he were not commenting for the NFL, that's what brings the eyeballs. Minecraft, Metroid, or Medal of Honor is what brings the eyeballs, not Angry Joe, however much folks may feel otherwise.

With news and reviews, you're making an original contribution. With let's plays, you're presenting the work itself with some sort of thin veil that's supposed to make it "okay" to try to make money off of playing videogames.

As Lafiel may have mentioned earlier, if Nintendo is doing the same thing to news or reviews, then that is wrong.

Ignoring the differing laws between media and other products for a second and just focusing on the principle that you're espousing, let me ask you this.  When Jeremy Clarkson is flipping over a Robin in northern England, should he owe money to Reliant (or whoever owns their remains)?  Functionally it is pretty similar.  He is controlling a product put out by another company and talking over it.  Is that just a thin veil that's supposed to make it "okay" to try to make money off driving cars?  How many people would still watch Top Gear if they no longer drove cars?  Or a show about home improvement if they didn't use tools?

Now obviously there are different laws regarding the use of media, but laws could always be passed restricting the use of other products in profit making ventures.  Do you believe Top Gear should be able to make money off another company's product?  If so, why?

Also while I don't really watch Angry Joe much, I'd imagine a lot of his fans would still be interested in him without the video game aspect.  Giant Bomb is theoretically a site about video games, but their most popular feature (the podcast) is often about pennies, meatballs, sandals vs thongs,  llamas, babies, etc and not about games.  Also it looks like Angry Joe's most popular videos are his reviews, where people are presumable going for his opinion and not just footage of a game.

I'm 90% sure Nintendo is going to revise this, as it is in beta form, so Youtubers should just keep complaining until they do.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Around the Network
Yakuzaice said:
Mr Khan said:

Ignoring the differing laws between media and other products for a second and just focusing on the principle that you're espousing, let me ask you this.  When Jeremy Clarkson is flipping over a Robin in northern England, should he owe money to Reliant (or whoever owns their remains)?  Functionally it is pretty similar.  He is controlling a product put out by another company and talking over it.  Is that just a thin veil that's supposed to make it "okay" to try to make money off driving cars?  How many people would still watch Top Gear if they no longer drove cars?  Or a show about home improvement if they didn't use tools?

Now obviously there are different laws regarding the use of media, but laws could always be passed restricting the use of other products in profit making ventures.  Do you believe Top Gear should be able to make money off another company's product?  If so, why?

Also while I don't really watch Angry Joe much, I'd imagine a lot of his fans would still be interested in him without the video game aspect.  Giant Bomb is theoretically a site about video games, but their most popular feature (the podcast) is often about pennies, meatballs, sandals vs thongs,  llamas, babies, etc and not about games.  Also it looks like Angry Joe's most popular videos are his reviews, where people are presumable going for his opinion and not just footage of a game.

Quite. I'm after the let's plays here, if i'm not making myself clear, i apologize.

Although in the case of a car, it is primarily a tool. Watching one car being driven is much the same for the viewer, as opposed to a video game which has narrative content (yes, even if the game is not cinematic does not mean it can't qualify as a narrative whose unfolding is the arguable point, especially in single player games/modes)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I can see the anti-let's play argument being made for heavily narrative driven games, but I don't think Nintendo has many of those so I don't think it really works as an excuse to them.

Just seems like a case of Nintendo being behind the times and doing something not so consumer friendly because of it. Many youtubers won't even bother and they'll only be left with the nintendo apologists which I guess you could view as a benefit for them if you think that public opinion needs to be managed in this way, but overall a detriment to their image that I think far outweighs whatever benefits they will get.

Mr Khan said:
outlawauron said:

I find this coming from you very odd. What about people doing news, reviews, and commentary with their time isn't content to you? 

Is this is true, then why they are some expotentially more popular than others. To say that people don't watch for the individual and their commentary are not believable. If Pewdiepie can get millions of people to watch him play a horror visual novel (corpse party on PSP), then your statement doesn't hold a lot of weight.

Nintendo throws everything under one umbrella and it's disingenious. I don't even like Let's Play, but I don't understand why Nintendo has taken such a hostile position to something generally loved and accepted.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

last92 said:
Mr Khan said:

I disagree. I watch Angry Joe's videos because I like that youtuber, he's a funny guy and I respect his opinion and unbiasedness. That's the whole point, though, isn't it? Your definition of "original contribution" may be different from mine...maybe I think that what these youtubers say or do during the videos is "original contribution". After all, if some youtubers have a lot of subscriptions, that must mean that their contribution is somehow relevant...either way every channel should have roughly the same amount of subscriptions.

So you'd watch AngryJoe giving his opinion on the Australian Open final?

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

It's weird that gaming is seemingly different to any other entertainment medium on youtube, why is it okay for people to make money of someone elses work when it comes to games but nothing else? Because they put effort in to play and upload it?

I wonder if there would be as big of an issue if I started reading well known novels on youtube, word for word, literally from the book, with adverts and then not given a single penny to the writer.

Jim Sterling said they are PewDiePie's subscribers but they are not his games.

Hmm, pie.