By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - MGSV: The Phantom Pain on Xbox Systems Doesn't Make Sense

Does it?

No 148 44.58%

Yes 131 39.46%

I'm not sure 29 8.73%

Results 24 7.23%

Total:332

Ironically if Konami had released MGS IV on the 360 last gen it probably would have sold as much or possibly more than the PS3 version due to install base, especially in North America.

And while MGSV will no doubt sell more on PS4 due to the larger WW install base and the fact that most of its fans are PS gamers, there's no logical reason to leave it off the X1 because that's still a ton of extra bank in Konami's pocket.

The same argument was made about FFXIII last gen, yet it still sold roughly 50% on the 360 what the PS3 version sold despite its primary fanbase being on PS. I expect MGSV to do roughly the same on the X1.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Around the Network
KyleeStrutt said:
Signalstar said:
The only thing that does not make sense is how the hell MGS V is even possible on 360 after all that nonsense about MGS IV only being possible on PS3?

MGS4 was exclusive because a bluray disc was the only thing that could hold that enormous game.

Anybody remember these jokes? Becuase they were no exageration.

No exageration huh?

I must've missed the part where the 360 uses CDs and not dual-layered DVDs lol.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NightDragon83 said:

No exageration huh?

I must've missed the part where the 360 uses CDs and not dual-layered DVDs lol.

Ok maybe a little exaggeration :P

Still my point is that the game would require multiple disks, while there are 360 games that come in more than one (like FFXIII, LA Noire, etc) it'd need more than those.

NobleTeam360 said:
Wait.... some people really think MS paid for a game that they know won't sell that well on Xbox? Yeah that makes sense

sure it does. Anything to undermine the competition. Just like FF and pretty much any game that was exclusive to SOny that became MP. Its not always about selling the most copies but STOPPING people from buying your competition.

BraLoD said:
SWORDF1SH said:

MGS was released on Gamecube under MGS: Twin snakes. I think MGS2:Substance was later released on Xbox and MGS3 released later on 3DS. MGS1/2/3 all released on 360/PS3 as a HD collection. The only true exclusive was MGS4 but all the games, beside the first 2 metal gears, appeared on a Sony platform first.

I don't remember saying all were true exclusives. But do were always exclusive developments.
All of them until now debuted on PlayStation only, there was not a single multiplat release until now, from 1 to 4, it was always on PlayStation first, then later it would go to other platforms (except for MGS 4). What could take 1 or more years to happen.

It's very easy to see how PlayStation was always the platform it was aimed to. The series was built around the PlayStation consoles.

Sorry, I wass just expanding on what you said. I totally agree with you

Around the Network

Sure the Game will sell so much better on PS4, but why not to make happy also other gamers.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

PwerlvlAmy said:
I think it doesnt make sense to people who want it on Sony only and are anti-xbox, at least that's what I've seen elsewhere. It's usually pro sony people saying ''dont bring it xbox!'' and vice versa when Xbox fans have something they yell ''dont bring it to sony!''

I see it as a good thing, more platforms = more sales and more chance of the title at being successful

I see it mostly everywhere myself, I hardly see XB owners saying that MGS should go back to only being PS exclusive, I see pro PS fans saying it mostly because it doesn't affect them in any way shape or form, that and it;s far easiier to claim it back and have no issue what so ever in telling anyone who doesn't own your platform of choice to give in and get one than having no control and it being multiplat, also why we're seeing the whole "it sells worse on everything, make it exclusive again!" excuse.

Third parties shouldn't really be exclusive anyway these days, the more platforms it reaches the better than limiting themselves to just one, it stunts growth and popularity a lot these days than it did 15 years ago, the MGS fanbase on Xbox will continue to grow, maybe not as much as PS but it will still grow contrary to what pro PS people are claiming it will stay exactly the same number (yes that's the ehavy implication the thread is giving).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

What I don't understand is the fact that Konami is releasing MGSV for the X360 but not for the WiiU.

I really think the Metal Gear franchise has more potential on Nintendo platforms than on Microsoft ones.

3rd party exclusives from big publishers doesn't make sense

Conina said:
theprof00 said:
To all the people saying it made sense to be on x1 because more sales..
how do uou know
1. People wouldn't have bought a ps4 to play an exc 'll shove
2. Multiplatform owners simply bought it on x1 over ps4
3. Money invested was worth the sales
4. Games were sold at full price

Developers have actually come forward and said that exclusivity does result in increased sales and free marketing / hype
they've also said they have to weigh it against the cost and additional sales among other factors. Usually an exclusive will receive first party support or paid advertising.

That argumentation style works in both directions:

To all the people saying it doesn't make sense to be on x1 because more sales... how do you know
1. People would have bought a ps4 to play an exc 'll shove
2. Multiplatform owners simply bought it on PS4 over XB1
3. Money invested wasn't worth the sales
4. Games weren't sold at full price

More and more developers are bringing former exclusive games and IPs to other platforms, most AAA games of the last years are multiplatform titles for PlayStation + Xbox + PC unless Sony or Microsoft payed for exclusive rights.

Sure, some games may flop or underperform on one of these platforms (for many different reasons), but if these situations would be the rule rather than the exception, multiplatform announcements would get much rarer.

It's exactly why I said it in a question form, because neither side can prove anything unless we work for the company. You are wrong. I am wrong. We are all wrong here.

The real question is "was 200k sales of the demo worth the costs (real and associated), and will the sales of phantom pain result similarly?"

This all boils down to:

OP comes in and says phantom pain on al platforms doesn't make sense. Everyone who counters him by saying "more platforms = more sales" is wrong. Everyone who agrees with him, is also wrong....because nobody has any hard facts.

It's like arguing over what is the best color. "i have tables showing the majority prefer blue", "ah sure but worldwide, it's green", "yes but green comes from blue", "no green is itself", ok well whatabout how animals only see red, maybe red is the only color that matters. "Why use animals at all they are not us"...endless arguing over nothing.

The short of it is, one day the company will come forward and tell us whether it was worth it or not.

Personally, I don't think it makes entire sense.