By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumors were true: Joystiq is shut down [Updated with a full news story]

SkyHold said:
Barozi said:

Without demos, how?

So it's either watching muted gameplay videos or renting the game/playing it at a friend's, which can only be done a good bit after the game is released.

A review doe snot tell you if a game is good or not since that i subjective and opinionated and a review does not tell you if you will enjoy a game which is the point of playing games.

subjective based on universal standards. I agree with 90% of all Metascores, so in theory I wouldn't even need to see any footage to know if I like a game.
On the flipside I know in 90% of all cases if I like a game or not and can predict the Metascore fairly accurate.

Still, reviews are very important. Just think of manipulated gameplay videos (Alien Colonial Marines) and many other games that had brilliant footage and then a review embargo that ended with the release date (Driveclub, Assassin' Creed Unity, Destiny and many more). They turned out to be massively disappointing.

Things like connection problems and disappointing content can't be seen by demos or official gameplay videos.

Around the Network

It's unfortunate that people have lost their jobs but such is the free market.

Burek said:

I do not follow any particular journalist with devotion. I just need them to report the news objectively, state the facts and give me information. I am perfectly capable of intelligently forming my opinion based on objective inputs, instead of having some "youtuber" make an opinion for me.

I tried to watch Sterling, watched a few episodes until he started whining about adblock and begging for money, same as Boogie and a few more. Booohooohoo, we are starving because of you adblocking us. They certainly don't look like they are starving.

Limp Bizkit got offended because some people dared to criticize him, so he just blocked comments - because if you already have formed opinions on everything, no need for user feedback.

And that PukeyPie is just an irritating moron.

And all of them and more combined managed to create an entire population of gamers who only care about bad news, controversy and shitting on things they don't like and they disagree with. Too bad that an entire generation forgot how to read, so that these guys can thrive in talking bullshit to likeminded drones.

So, I am sad that Joystiq is gone, as they actually bothered to give me some news about games, instead trying to force feed me their agendas. 

In my eyes, a journalist does not just spit out news. That isn't journalism and it is boring. I'd much rather see someone tell me all the facts of a situation, including things like relating laws, similar past incidents and use that information to form a conclusion and allow you to think about whether or not you agree with the conclusion. Theres a difference between hearing someone else's opinion and automatically assimilating it into yourself. I know for one that I am intelligent enough to be able to make a conclusion on the validity of someones opinion, without automatically assimilating everything I hear.

Also, really? You are complaining about people talking about adblocking? Sure, its annoying if they do it in every video (which they don't), but making an appeal to everyone isn't hurting anyone. 

And what do Limp Biscuit and PewDiePie have to do with anything? And who is talking bullshit?

Hell, what are you ranting on in general? I was hoping to have an interesting conversation about good journalism in gaming media, but that doesn't seem likely.

RolStoppable said:
The crew of the site was not deserving of an Excellence Award.

I have to agree, I stopped visiting that site 6 or 7 years ago, others come to mind, Kotaku, Ploygon, N4G, Gamespot...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

Wow, so unexpected. With Joystiq's reform away from the numbered review trend, I thought that in time, others would follow. Instead, the exceptional innovator dies, along with her progression.

Around the Network
Burek said:
sundin13 said:
Burek said:

I am sorry, but I cannot agree with you.

While it is the truth that oversupply of gaming website dilluted the quality of journalism considerably, there are still some good journalists that are able to report the news objectively.

I find none of the YouTube personalities that qualify as an objective journalist. They are great if you seek an entirely subjective opinion that you tend to agree with, but are never a source of news themselves (unless they make an effort to make news out of themselves).

I do agree that there is a need for a reduction of gaming websites, there will be nothing good coming out of the abundance of youtubers.

Go on...who are these good journalists? The problem is that I see most sites just regurgitating news instead of writing interesting pieces, which may be totally objective, but that doesn't mean it is good journalism. People like Jim Sterling and TotalBiscuit make some really good content centered around the news that can be fairly thought provoking and interesting. They go into more depth than I almost ever see on normal news sites, and they aren't tied down by the bureaucracy that hampers sites like the Escapist (hence the reason Jim Sterling became independant)

I do not follow any particular journalist with devotion. I just need them to report the news objectively, state the facts and give me information. I am perfectly capable of intelligently forming my opinion based on objective inputs, instead of having some "youtuber" make an opinion for me.

I tried to watch Sterling, watched a few episodes until he started whining about adblock and begging for money, same as Boogie and a few more. Booohooohoo, we are starving because of you adblocking us. They certainly don't look like they are starving.

Limp Bizkit got offended because some people dared to criticize him, so he just blocked comments - because if you already have formed opinions on everything, no need for user feedback.

And that PukeyPie is just an irritating moron.

And all of them and more combined managed to create an entire population of gamers who only care about bad news, controversy and shitting on things they don't like and they disagree with. Too bad that an entire generation forgot how to read, so that these guys can thrive in talking bullshit to likeminded drones.

So, I am sad that Joystiq is gone, as they actually bothered to give me some news about games, instead trying to force feed me their agendas. 

I agree 1000% with what you said except the last sentence, but then again, I hadn't visited the site for over 7 or 8 years, may be they had changed for the better, because back then they clearly were biased morons...

I particularly agree with this: "And all of them and more combined managed to create an entire population of gamers who only care about bad news, controversy and shitting on things they don't like and they disagree with. Too bad that an entire generation forgot how to read, so that these guys can thrive in talking bullshit to likeminded drones."

That's gold baby!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001