By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumors were true: Joystiq is shut down [Updated with a full news story]

and Andrew Yoon just died in an accident :(

Around the Network

They were one of the only two gaming sites I follow on Twitter (Gematsu is the other). I just liked the way they covered news, seems that they relied much less on rumors and sensationalism (unlike Dualshockers and similar).
I almost never read reviews, but I was glad that they started not scoring them.

If it is correct that they are getting absorbed into Engadget, I am happy, as it is also a quality site.

Goodnightmoon said:
That´s for scoring Bayonetta 2 with a 7.5 because is "hypersexualized" or something...u don´t **** with bayo

I think you're confusing Joystiq with Polygon, which is understandable since the latter was formed from key staff of the former.

I must shed a tear for them, though. That website was my life from the summer of 2006 through the end of 2010 (by that point i had started to post more on here than on there, and by the end of 2011 i quit joystiq entirely). Many memories, a few of my facebook friends date entirely from there. So dies an era.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:
Goodnightmoon said:
That´s for scoring Bayonetta 2 with a 7.5 because is "hypersexualized" or something...u don´t **** with bayo

I think you're confusing Joystiq with Polygon, which is understandable since the latter was formed from key staff of the former.

Yes, my bad. Anyway I was joking, i´m sorry for them.

sundin13 said:
While I don't have any particular problem with Joystiq, it is interesting to see the move away from standard Video Game coverage and into more independent avenues. I think people like Jim Sterling and TotalBiscuit cover the news better than anyone working for any of these larger sites and I'm glad that they are getting more popular while standard sites seem to be getting less popular.

I am sorry, but I cannot agree with you.

While it is the truth that oversupply of gaming website dilluted the quality of journalism considerably, there are still some good journalists that are able to report the news objectively.

I find none of the YouTube personalities that qualify as an objective journalist. They are great if you seek an entirely subjective opinion that you tend to agree with, but are never a source of news themselves (unless they make an effort to make news out of themselves).

I do agree that there is a need for a reduction of gaming websites, there will be nothing good coming out of the abundance of youtubers.

Around the Network

Another one bites the dust. This is the year organized games journalism goes down in flames. Best of luck to everyone out of work due to this.

This is what having integrity and trying to break the norm will do for you. You want to be in journalism, it's all sensationalism and clickbait, kids. Good to realize that.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

alternine said:
Looks like these game review sites are starting to go down 1 by 1. IMO this is a good thing. Maybe people will start to think for themselves on whether to purchase a game or not instead of letting someone do it for them.

Unfortunately that's not the case. For every game magazine that went down, 10 game sites came up, for every game site that has gone down, 100 YouTube game channels will come up in its wake. 

The reason classic internet as we know it is dying, is cause its just easier to get a list of channels you're subscribed to on YouTube and get all the latest videos of all the latest news of the things you are interested in than going to a site and looking for info that may interest you. 

No suprise there if their journalist skill is copy and paste somthing from neogaf instead making their own research and invistigation into subjects. At least vgchartz has a reason to exist thanks to ioi. I think in 5 years the only remaining sites will be this and neogaf lol

Hopefully they all get employment elsewhere. It seems like we are going through a gaming journalism renaissance with Youtube blogs and reviews taking the place of actual writings. I bet others will go down in the future.