By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Rumors were true: Joystiq is shut down [Updated with a full news story]

Thank you God!

Around the Network

: I love Jessica Conditt

Burek said:

I am sorry, but I cannot agree with you.

While it is the truth that oversupply of gaming website dilluted the quality of journalism considerably, there are still some good journalists that are able to report the news objectively.

I find none of the YouTube personalities that qualify as an objective journalist. They are great if you seek an entirely subjective opinion that you tend to agree with, but are never a source of news themselves (unless they make an effort to make news out of themselves).

I do agree that there is a need for a reduction of gaming websites, there will be nothing good coming out of the abundance of youtubers.

Go on...who are these good journalists? The problem is that I see most sites just regurgitating news instead of writing interesting pieces, which may be totally objective, but that doesn't mean it is good journalism. People like Jim Sterling and TotalBiscuit make some really good content centered around the news that can be fairly thought provoking and interesting. They go into more depth than I almost ever see on normal news sites, and they aren't tied down by the bureaucracy that hampers sites like the Escapist (hence the reason Jim Sterling became independant)

Another one bites the dust. Too bad it wasn't Polygon, though.

Barozi said:
alternine said:
Looks like these game review sites are starting to go down 1 by 1. IMO this is a good thing. Maybe people will start to think for themselves on whether to purchase a game or not instead of letting someone do it for them.

Without demos, how?

So it's either watching muted gameplay videos or renting the game/playing it at a friend's, which can only be done a good bit after the game is released.

alternine wants us to go back to the days of buying games based on box art.

Around the Network
alternine said:
Looks like these game review sites are starting to go down 1 by 1. IMO this is a good thing. Maybe people will start to think for themselves on whether to purchase a game or not instead of letting someone do it for them.

I agree.I never needed them to decide what appeals to me.That's what watching gameplay is for.

Barozi said:
alternine said:

Without demos, how?

So it's either watching muted gameplay videos or renting the game/playing it at a friend's, which can only be done a good bit after the game is released.

A review doe snot tell you if a game is good or not since that i subjective and opinionated and a review does not tell you if you will enjoy a game which is the point of playing games.

sundin13 said:
Burek said:

I am sorry, but I cannot agree with you.

While it is the truth that oversupply of gaming website dilluted the quality of journalism considerably, there are still some good journalists that are able to report the news objectively.

I find none of the YouTube personalities that qualify as an objective journalist. They are great if you seek an entirely subjective opinion that you tend to agree with, but are never a source of news themselves (unless they make an effort to make news out of themselves).

I do agree that there is a need for a reduction of gaming websites, there will be nothing good coming out of the abundance of youtubers.

Go on...who are these good journalists? The problem is that I see most sites just regurgitating news instead of writing interesting pieces, which may be totally objective, but that doesn't mean it is good journalism. People like Jim Sterling and TotalBiscuit make some really good content centered around the news that can be fairly thought provoking and interesting. They go into more depth than I almost ever see on normal news sites, and they aren't tied down by the bureaucracy that hampers sites like the Escapist (hence the reason Jim Sterling became independant)

I do not follow any particular journalist with devotion. I just need them to report the news objectively, state the facts and give me information. I am perfectly capable of intelligently forming my opinion based on objective inputs, instead of having some "youtuber" make an opinion for me.

I tried to watch Sterling, watched a few episodes until he started whining about adblock and begging for money, same as Boogie and a few more. Booohooohoo, we are starving because of you adblocking us. They certainly don't look like they are starving.

Limp Bizkit got offended because some people dared to criticize him, so he just blocked comments - because if you already have formed opinions on everything, no need for user feedback.

And that PukeyPie is just an irritating moron.

And all of them and more combined managed to create an entire population of gamers who only care about bad news, controversy and shitting on things they don't like and they disagree with. Too bad that an entire generation forgot how to read, so that these guys can thrive in talking bullshit to likeminded drones.

So, I am sad that Joystiq is gone, as they actually bothered to give me some news about games, instead trying to force feed me their agendas. 

I actually really liked Joystiq and thought they were one of the more respectable gaming websites. Sad to see them go. I hope they all find sustainable jobs.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

oh great.. Massively from Joystiq was my go to place for MMO news. fkn AOL..

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5