By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii sales hammer PS3 in Japan

dpmnymkrprez said:
PS4 said:
Who'd have thought the gulf would be so huge 2 years ago?

No joke, remember when everyone counted nintendo out with the whole suck on my tiny yellow balls.look at em now, I wonder if Microsoft kick themselves in the ass for arrogance/and not uping the ante?

So agree with you, feel exactly the same. Well I don't think that at MS they are kicking themselves, but they have an image in their minds of kicking the Japanese people under their butts straight into the stores to buy a 360 *LOL*.

Oh well, I stay clear, you never know what happens in the future, Nintendo and most of all their 3rd party friends just have to come up with great games during the whole cycle and then it can turn out with the WII just as well as with the DS, if not... the WII could be doomed after all. For 2007 they have nothing to worry but as soon as FFXIII, MGS, DMC and all the other games will hit the PS3 and the console will get a price break, it could become tricky for Nintendo if the WII turns out to have a lack of good games in the end, like with the Gamecube. Just saying that Nintendo has to be prepared.

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

Around the Network
Safiir said:

Yes of course others may have different criteria. That was exactly my point. I see so many nintendo fanboys talking happily about how ps3 will fail and they don't give a damn about the gamers that actually enjoy the games that the ps3 can offer. It's great to see the console you like doing great but all that mudslinging is getting a little out of hand :/

Most gamers owned a PS2 (including current Wii fans) and Sony burnt a lot of bridges with these gamers by producing a $600 system, copying their competition while bad-mouthing them, and making a lot of arogant statements; the result is schadenfreude from a large portion of gamers directed squarely at Sony.

Safiir said:

I thought that the main sales point of the wii is that it's geared mainly towards casual gamers? Heck if it has enough games that I like I would buy it in a second. Actually I'm still contemplating since I never got around to buying the gc but...I would still like it to have some more wii games.

The Wii is an affordable system which has a truely new and unique gameplay; this is appealing to all gamers although people who are casual gamers are probably far more willing to spend $250 than $400 or $600. Currently, the Wii has (roughly) 45 games that have been released and the PS3 has 30, both systems have (roughly) the same number of games which are expected to release in 2007 (at the moment) and E3 is a month away.

Safiir said:

True many devs try to make the games as compatible as possible. Still if they were limited to only that common denominator there would never be games like half-life 2 and FEAR ( I'm mentioning fps because they're usually the games with highest hardware requirements). What I'm trying to say is if there weren't high-end computers there would be a lot of games that wouldn't see the light of day. Same with consoles. Ps3 is high-end, wii is the common denominator. And yet nintendo fanboys want the high-end platform to vanish... I don't get it :/

Thanks for the welcome ^^ 

Half Life 2 ran adequately on my Pentium 4 2.53GHz system with my Geforce 4 graphics card in 2004 and was ported to the XBox with few problems. Right now more development on PC games is focused on ensuring the game will run on a 2 to 3 year old lap-top than a newer high end system because it is the only way to make money.

Now, generaly speaking, Nintendo fans do not want the "High-End" platform to vanish ... they want Sony's Blu-Ray player that "Plays games too" to vanish.

I payed 1000$ for a pc that's able to run the most recent games with no problem, so paying a 600$ is not unthinkable. And I'm far from rich. So basically Sony didn't do anything to burn me. And what exactly did they copy from the competion? Motion sensing? It's not like motion sensing was developed by Nintendo :/ And even if it was what's wrong with copying? All that matters is the end-product. Btw has Nintendo never been arogant?

Obviosly the wii doesn't appeal to all gamers. Otherwise nobody would be buying anything but wii. And like I said before - it doesn't matter how many games a console has. It matters how many of these games you like.

I don't see how half-life 2 can run adequately on such a system. I have a dual-core pentium and gf 7600gt and when playing half-life with everything set to maximum there were instances where the game was skipping frames. Yes games can run on 2-3 years old systems. But you won't be getting everything the game has to offer. And that annoys the hell out of me.

Blu-ray player that plays games? I highly doubt I'll ever use the ps3 as a blu-ray player. 

Safiir said:
So I really don't understand why are all the nintendo fanboys so fixated on the sales of either platform?

The same reason Sony fans have spend the last 12 years fixated on the sales of their platforms.

It doesn't last forever.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

Were they really? I can hardly call myself a sony fan but when I bought both the ps1 and 2 I was only interested in the games. Heck when I bought them I had absolutely no idea whether they were selling good or bad. I bought the ps1 mainly because of the jrpgs and the ps2 because of the survival horrors. Actually I first found out how many consoles were sold a couple of years ago.

Around the Network

Like others have said, Sony has cornered themselves with a $600 system that the majority of $300 PS2 owners cannot afford. If MS took the inititive to lower the 360 to $300 or less, it'd probably be selling like PS2-hotcakes. The PS3, had it of been $300, wouldn't be in the slump it's in. Japan wouldn't be pro-PS3, but it'd atleast be selling twice as good. In the US, twice as good, and maybe 50% better in Europe. By now, if it was a $300 PS3, we could probably of expected 5.5m sales of the PS3, 6m of the Wii, and 9m or under of the 360.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Safiir, Sony fans have had a "look at the scoreboard" mentality for over a decade. Nintendo fans had that same mentality during the 8 and 16 bit eras. Its just the nature of the console market. Which ever company is leading will have fans that gloat about their sales numbers. As for your concern about the PS3 and its type of games going away due to it sales, you don't have anything to worry about. Actually, the majority of the games you listed are on or coming to the 360. Given the propensity of the 360 owners to buy a high number of games, you have nothing to worry about. The fact alone ensures the continued presence of the "hardcore" gaming market.

Safiir said:

I payed 1000$ for a pc that's able to run the most recent games with no problem, so paying a 600$ is not unthinkable. And I'm far from rich. So basically Sony didn't do anything to burn me. And what exactly did they copy from the competion? Motion sensing? It's not like motion sensing was developed by Nintendo :/ And even if it was what's wrong with copying? All that matters is the end-product. Btw has Nintendo never been arogant?

Obviosly the wii doesn't appeal to all gamers. Otherwise nobody would be buying anything but wii. And like I said before - it doesn't matter how many games a console has. It matters how many of these games you like.

I don't see how half-life 2 can run adequately on such a system. I have a dual-core pentium and gf 7600gt and when playing half-life with everything set to maximum there were instances where the game was skipping frames. Yes games can run on 2-3 years old systems. But you won't be getting everything the game has to offer. And that annoys the hell out of me.

Blu-ray player that plays games? I highly doubt I'll ever use the ps3 as a blu-ray player. 

You, an early adopting core gamer (you own a PS3 and are hanging out at a game-sales site) don't see the problem with spending $1000 on a PC or $600 on a PS3; the reality is that even people who are as dedicated as you do not share your view that this is a reasonable price.

The problem with Sony copying was they spent over a year bad-mouthing motion controls and achievements only to implement motion controls and achievements and then talk about how "original" and "great" they were. Most successful companies are arogant, but few would sell a gaming system and tell people that "5 Million people would buy it if it had no games" or that "It's expensive but people will get a second job to pay for it". Sony has (essentially) said "You're our bitch!" is it a surprise that there is a lot of hostility towards them?

New gameplay experiences at an affordable price apeals to all gamers which is why the Wii is selling so well; whether the Wii apeals to all gamers has yet to be seen ...

Now, with you're Half-Life 2 comment "when playing half-life with everything set to maximum there were instances where the game was skipping frames." what makes you think that adequate means "1600x1200 with Maximum detail on everything, 8X AA and 16X AF?

I remember a day when the "recomended requirements" of most PC games was a 6 to 9 month old bleeding edge PC; now a days the "recomended requirements" of most PC games is a 2 to 3 year old mid-line gaming PC. As compared to what is "Bleeding Edge" PC games have never used so little power before

So far wii has...2 games that I'm interested in. Zelda and Fire emblem. Not a very good reason to buy a console because of two games :/ On the other hand ps3 has 13 - resistance, tekken, vf5, double agent, ridge racer 7, motorstorm, armored core 4, tony hawk's project 8, enchanted arms, genji 2, full auto 2, gundam crossfire and gundam musou. So its 13 against 2...it's not even a competion :/ Nice you like FE, but... GIANT ENEMY CRABS and Gundam Crossfire > METROID PRIME 3? Share some of your pot plz.

Indeed I don't mind buying xbox360 at all. But at the moment it doesn't have much better sales than the ps3 and definetely not as good as wii. But I don't like to speculate. We'll see in a few years how things turn out.

I don't really care what Sony has said or done. Like I said I'm not particularly a Sony fan. I simply like some of their products. All I'm interested is what do I get for my money. So far I'm not dissapointed with the ps3. If indeed Sony messes up things I'll simply buy the best console at the time. What I don't understand is the hate. It's not like Sony is forcing you to buy anything. If they alienate customers...well that's they're(sony's) own problem.

Adequate for me means exactly that - high resolution, maximum detail. I just hate ugly 3d. I am quite a big fan of 2d games but I really can't stand jagged, low res 3d :(

Btw I'm not sure I agree with you on the recommended requirements part. I haven't really paid much attention but I think that even now the best looking games still require the 6-9 months old high-end configuration.

Edit: I'm just a Gundam fanboy. I buy every Gundam game no matter how silly it is. I know, it's a disease :(