By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii sales hammer PS3 in Japan

CrazzyMan said:
could anyone compare sales of ps3 60GB for 200$ ? =)) i just wonder, what would faster sold out, 1000 ps3 for 200$ or 1000 Wii for 200$. =) interesting, how fast would be selling Wii for 500$? =)) p.s. for any of you, what would you buy, a wii for 200$ or ps3 for 200$ ?=))

I don't know about anywhere else, but locally if you put an advertizement in the local papers saying your store had 1,000 Wii systems on a saturday you would have a massive line-up on saturday morning; if you were selling them at $200, I'm positive you'd have 1,000 people in line when you opened up in the morning. I suspect you'd have a similar number of people for the PS3 at $200 ...

The fact is that the PS3 is no where near $200 and won't be $200 for a very long time; when the PS3 is eventually $200 at the rate it is losing exclusives no one will want to spend $200 for the PS3.

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:
could anyone compare sales of ps3 60GB for 200$ ? =)) i just wonder, what would faster sold out, 1000 ps3 for 200$ or 1000 Wii for 200$. =) interesting, how fast would be selling Wii for 500$? =)) p.s. for any of you, what would you buy, a wii for 200$ or ps3 for 200$ ?=))

Personally, I'd go Wii, as I really want one. I imagine there are quite a few others in my position as well. Which isn't to say that the PS3 wouldn't be selling a hell of a lot better right now if it were that price. I mean come on, It's a new Playstation. Playstation! It can coast on sheer brand power. You've got to price it pretty high to turn people off of a playstation. And thats just what Sony did.

However, Brand recognition can only rest on the laurals of it's predecessors for so long. Eventually, the PS3 will be judged not by the game library of the PS2 in comparison to the xbox and cube, but by what's on the PS3 compared to whats on the 360 and Wii. It seems like every month it gets harder to justify that price tag.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

I would definitely pick up a Wii first - its more interesting. Then a PS3 (assuming it had some games I wanted to play...). If someone offered me a PS3 now for $200US I would still turn it down. Offer me one for $100US and I would buy it - and sell it for a profit :)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

FishyJoe said:
If you really believe that Sony can sell the PS3 for $200 and not go broke there is no point in arguing with you. You live in a different plane of reality and communication is impossible.

lol

Just humor him, FishyJoe :)

If the PS3 was selling for 200 bucks, I'd get one! They'd be selling out everywhere, just like the Wii. Maybe more so, cause the Wii costs a whopping 250! Then everyone would be complaining about PS3 shortages? Amirite?!?

CrazzyMan said:
could anyone compare sales of ps3 60GB for 200$ ? =)) i just wonder, what would faster sold out, 1000 ps3 for 200$ or 1000 Wii for 200$. =) interesting, how fast would be selling Wii for 500$? =)) p.s. for any of you, what would you buy, a wii for 200$ or ps3 for 200$ ?=)

That's a bit illogical - a random sale price based on your arbitrary numbers to make one console look better and another one look worse - don't you think? Artificially manipulating numbers on a console so it costs way cheaper than its current manufacturing price, and inflating prices for another console so it costs way more than it currently costs at retail?

I could just as well say:

could anyone compare sales of Wiis for 0.99$ at the thrifty mart? I just wonder, what would faster sold out, 1000 ps3 for 200$ or1000 Wii for 0.99$. =) Interesting, how fast would be selling PS3 for $9999? =)) p.s. for any of you, what would you buy, a wii for 0.99$ or ps3 for 9999$ ?=)

But all this is moot. The reality of the situation is:

Wii@retail = $250

PS3@retail = $600

No amount of fudging the numbers is going to change the current market reality.

Around the Network

If it's any consolation to the PS3 Fans, I don't think the sales situation in Japan can or will get much worse. ;)

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Steve 3.2 said:
If it's any consolation to the PS3 Fans, I don't think the sales situation in Japan can or will get much worse. ;)

Actually, I think you're wrong ...

The PS3 doesn't have any game releases in Japan until mid June, and only has 4 game releases for June, July and August

CrazzyMan said:

Um… ok, let me create my own fantasy where everything is as I would have liked it to be.
On second thought… nah… I’m pretty happy with reality.

There is no denying that the Wii is utterly inferior in tech. compared to the other nextgen consoles. It has no hope of matching the graphics, physics or AI capabilities being offered by the competition. Thing is, many people don’t seem to care – it brings something new to the table that makes it a bit more interesting. Some gamers are welcoming a change and many non-gamers are finally starting to enjoy what gamers have enjoyed for decades.

It’s astounding and somewhat disturbing (to some) that such a weak and (previously thought) insignificant console has managed to achieve this level of success. Whether it continues this running streak is debatable, but with the figures it’s pulling (ala start of thread), it appears to be untouchable. This is the reality of the situation today, and the foreseeable future is looking bright for the little Wii. As disturbing as that may be, many will have to learn to accept this at some point.

HappySqurriel said:
Steve 3.2 said:

Actually, I think you're wrong ...

The PS3 doesn't have any game releases in Japan until mid June, and only has 4 game releases for June, July and August

But two of those games will pass Musou Orochi is sales easy.

NInja Gaiden:Sigma will sell well b/c of the lack of Japanese who owned/played the game on xbox.
Hot Shots Golf 5 is coming out, and that series is HUGE in Japan.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Hot Shots Golf 5 is coming out, and that series is HUGE in Japan. You know who composes the biggest "fanbase" of tthat games? Casual gamers! And a casual gamer is spending $600 to play a nice looking golf game? I REALLY don´t think so :) Ninja Gaiden, who knows, it looks pretty neat.