By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The WiiU hasnt spawned one successful new IP

KLAMarine said:
gatito said:
If Destiny counts as a new IP then I don't see how Captain Toad doesn't.

Because it didn't sell a bajillion copies which it would seem bananaking equates to financial success.

Wasmt Captain Toad a financial success? It sold over 400k in japan/NoA, will keep on selling with Europe+Legs and its a game that was practically not that much too make.

Around the Network
Faust said:
WolfpackN64 said:
Faust said:
WolfpackN64 said:

Watch Dogs, Destiny, Titanfall, Driveclub and The Evil Within are all mostly letdowns. Off all 5, Destiny and Titanfall have most potential to become something bigger and better. Even though Watch Dogs, Driveclub and The Evil Within sold well, they are not really good games, so sale nmbers be damned, they're not succesful new IP's (except for the 2 I mentioned). That and Watch Dogs is also on the Wii U, but it doesn't sell wel, which is in my eyes a good sign of the Wii U userbase.

Can you explain why is this a good sign?

I consider myself a core gamer, I have no time for mediocraty or laziness on part of the developer. It shows the Wii U userbase doesn't want Ubisoft's turds,. Bring something good to the table like AC IV, then we'll talk. Sometimes, a game not selling wel is a good sign.

SO, what about games like sonic boom? 3 times of watchdogs did, is that game that awesome? ;)

Sonic Boom should by all rights be a total failure. But... Thanks to the cartoon probably, it wasn't... But I don't think most Sonic Boom buyers were the core Nintendo fanbase, they were probably children or angry Sonic fans who bought the game anyway.

I feel like splatoon will be succesfull

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

KLAMarine said:
gatito said:

Because it didn't sell a bajillion copies which it would seem bananaking, investors and all gaming companies equates to financial success.

Fixed. 

gatito said:

Desitny doesn't "count" as a new IP, IT IS a new IP.

As for Captain Toad, I dont' know much about it but it's only sold 430k(according to VGC) so it's irrelevant whether its a new IP or not since it isn't successful.

So how do we define success? Well we should start by determining how big of a budget the game had and how many copies it needed to sell to break even. The more sales, the more successful.

A game like Destiny is obviously super successful. A game like Captain Toad....I mean if it had 1 Million sales, I'm not even sure that would be considered successful. I know I personally wouldn't consider it successful. 

Example: PS4 version of The Amazing Spiderman 2 sold 360k according to VGC. Is that successful? I wouldn't say so and I don't think Activision does either. It probalby barely broke even.

The Evil Within. Sold 1.13m on PS4 alone. I'd say that is pretty successful. Succesful enough for a sequel.

Again it all comes back to the more sales, the more successful. There is not 1 single Wii U game that I would say is a successful new IP. Watch Dogs comes to mind but the Wii U port flopped. (Yeah, I know late port, no DLC....blah blah blah)

Around the Network

"Wii U has no games" then the Wii U got games. "Wii U has no new IPs" then the Wii U got new IPs. "Wii U has no successful new IPs" Even though this is wrong to begin with, I find it humorous how people just keep cherrypicking to make the Wii U look as bad as possible. At least pick something that's a genuine, true problem for the console, like region locking.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

iTechHeads said:
gatito said:

Desitny doesn't "count" as a new IP, IT IS a new IP.

As for Captain Toad, I dont' know much about it but it's only sold 430k(according to VGC) so it's irrelevant whether its a new IP or not since it isn't successful.

So how do we define success? Well we should start by determining how big of a budget the game had and how many copies it needed to sell to break even. The more sales, the more successful.

A game like Destiny is obviously super successful. A game like Captain Toad....I mean if it had 1 Million sales, I'm not even sure that would be considered successful. I know I personally wouldn't consider it successful. 

Example: PS4 version of The Amazing Spiderman 2 sold 360k according to VGC. Is that successful? I wouldn't say so and I don't think Activision does either. It probalby barely broke even.

The Evil Within. Sold 1.13m on PS4 alone. I'd say that is pretty successful. Succesful enough for a sequel.

Again it all comes back to the more sales, the more successful. There is not 1 single Wii U game that I would say is a successful new IP. Watch Dogs comes to mind but the Wii U port flopped. (Yeah, I know late port, no DLC....blah blah blah)

I am 99.99% sure Nintendo has already made their money back from Captain Toad. They literally reused all the assets from 3D World and made a small budget game. It is easily a success and will result in a pretty respectable profit by the end of its lifetime. I'm not sure how you could come to the conclusion that it wouldn't be successful if it reached a million copies, that does not make any sense whatsoever. Not every game has to sell a million in order to be profitable, especially when it comes to Nintendo because they're really smart when it comes to budgeting their titles.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

When you have 100+ Ip's you don't need to create new ones.... how many do Sony and MS have? first party that is...

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Skullwaker said:
"Wii U has no games" then the Wii U got games. "Wii U has no new IPs" then the Wii U got new IPs. "Wii U has no successful new IPs" Even though this is wrong to begin with, I find it humorous how people just keep cherrypicking to make the Wii U look as bad as possible. At least pick something that's a genuine, true problem for the console, like region locking.

The OP and a few other users in general seem to have something out for the poor thing. I just wanna play ma black rectangle.

bananaking21 said:

Well Lego City: undercover and Captain toad are the two successful new IP on WiiU

Wonderful 101 bomb mostly because of how bad WiiU did in sales. The WiiU is actually one of the worst platform to bring a AAA new IP, new IP aren't normally well received.   

Splatoon is going to be a big new IP for Nintendo.

Since no 3rd party developper are making games on WiiU look to the Eshop for new IP .... Unepic, Shovel Knights, Child of Light(Ubisoft), ARmillo, Little Inferno

Except we don't know really how well they do Financially.