By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 2 new Brawl Reviews, you seen em?

supermario128 said:
Those are pretty good review scores, but both should have been 10.

No game deserves a 10, and you havent even played the game to state it deserves a 10.

mM
Around the Network
darklich13 said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Please don't feed the troll. This is a bad time for anti-Brawl people, let's try to make this easy for them. Niiice and sloow.

I am not anti-Brawl and I'm looking foward to this game more than any other game this quarter. For me, this game should not get higher reviews than Zelda OOT. Yes, they have added a lot into this game and made it way better than before, but I don't think it deserves to be rated the best game ever. Especially when the single player experience is so lacking. Look at what OOT brought to the table over its predecessor. Mabey I'm just old school I guess.

Also, I dunno if OOT is THAT much better than LttP, imo.

Your just pulling negatives from the IGN review and using them in your arguments. You haven't played the single player and don't know how good it is. Just shoosh if you got nothing good to say, you said your opinion, I said mine, you called me a fanboy, it's done. Naz is out there trolling for me to mess up so he can ban me for a week, and I can't be going off on you. 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Ocarina of Time didn't really do it for me like Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, and Twilight Princess did. I was there. I had the gold cartridge. I lived it and loved it. But I'll be playing Brawl until well... I don't know, something CRAZY is gonna have to happen to make me stop. I think OoT and FF7 are both over-rated. I think "best game of all time" should go to Tetris or SMB3, but hey that's just me. I'm not one of these young'uns who's obsessed with the 5th generation of gaming due to its introduction of the 3rd dimension and FMVs.

Rugger08 said:
darklich13 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
darklich13 said:
Kinda overrated IMO.
Kinda underrated IMO.

Ugh, Wii fanboys are the worst. Just don't see why this game is so great. Its Melee with more charactors and a shoddy single player tacked on. No voice chat and no leaderboards. I think Zelda and SMBG are deserving but not this.

There is no voice chat because nintendo doesn't want voice chat. They are worried that people will swear a lot like on XBL and piss off parents of young children.

Aww. Nintendo didn't want our feelings to be hurt. That's sweet of them.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

leo-j said:
supermario128 said:
Those are pretty good review scores, but both should have been 10.

No game deserves a 10, and you havent even played the game to state it deserves a 10.

Maybe it does deserve a 10, who is to say? Reviews are opinion, because human monkeys aren't robots and can't create smart enough robots to score games yet. You don't know for sure, now do you?

If you do, I'll require proof of some kind as to why robots can score video games, when that technology was invented, when they scored Brawl, and what score they gave it, if not a 10.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network
darklich13 said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
darklich13 said:
Kinda overrated IMO.
Kinda underrated IMO.

Ugh, Wii fanboys are the worst. Just don't see why this game is so great. Its Melee with more charactors and a shoddy single player tacked on. No voice chat and no leaderboards. I think Zelda and SMBG are deserving but not this.

Yup, because that's what makes a great game great. Voice chat and leaderboards. That's how games achieve legendary status. Or, wait, is it because they were simply awesome games? 

Blank? Blank.

SSBB is shaping up to be the most over rated game ever...

PSN ID: krik

Optimistic predictions for 2008 (Feb 5 2008): Wii = 20M, PS3 = 14M, X360 = 9.5M

Leaderboards suck anyway. Hell, I love Audiosurf.

But after playing a song like "Sweet Child of Mine," thinking I did alright, I got Stealth after all, meaning I dodged all the gray blocks on Ninja Mono. I was pretty proud.

Then I looked at the leaderboard. Global, almost all of the top 20 or whatever scores did not have Stealth. Instead, they hit gray blocks occasionally and then deleted them to score bigger combos. OK, I know they intended for the game to do that, but it pissed me off that I did SO well on the song, but instead, I was supposed to actually hit the grays and get bigger combos.

It kinda ruined the moment for me. And don't even get me started on games where people hack, disconnect, or whatever to put themselves higher in the ranks or get a better score. It makes me feel like I either suck or did not exploit the game to win, which I don't want to do.

There will be kids with no lives playing Brawl, and probably hackers too, and I don't want to see the first 1000 names full of hackers, to see my name raise from 1742 to 1249 isn't really going to make me feel any better. I'd rather just...play the game.

Apparently some of you console gamers don't realize that most PC FPSs don't have "leaderboards." There's just...no such thing. There's often stat-tracking, so you can see how many kills you've made, taken, shots fired, whatever. And you can often compare those stats to other players, one at a time usually. But seeing a list of scores of every player existing? Lame, I don't care.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Go easy on him - he's only saying that he thinks that 10s imply perfection and that no game is perfect.

Anyway, I don't think comparing this game's scores to OoT's is at all meaningful. Scores only make sense within a single genre, because they only tell you how well a game does what it's trying to do - they don't speak to how worthy its goal is in the first place.

And it's pretty clear that Smash Bros does deserve a very, very high score. As a party game, it's clearly head and shoulders above everything else out there. People who just want something accessible to play with their friends are going to be thrilled with the game. As a fighting game, it offers more content and is technically more polished than any other member of the genre, and has a tremendously complex and deep engine. As fan service, it's the biggest thing since Melee.

From what I've seen, if any game deserves a 10, this one does. Not since OoT or Mario 64 has a game so clearly been so superior to anything else that tried to offer even a roughly comparable experience, and those two games had the advantage of being the first to take advantage of radically more capable technology.  Its closest competitor is Melee (clearly the favorite fighting game of most people who play fighting games, and also a tremendously popular party game), and it blows Melee away.

krik said:
SSBB is shaping up to be the most over rated game ever...

Or perhaps the most under-rated game ever?

Maybe all the rest of the reviews will be perfect as well, and they'll hit the nail on the head.

Doubt it though. 

NO NO, NO NO NO.