By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Alien:Isolation is sadly.... very overtracked ;(

Tagged games:

cheshirescat said:
AnthonyW86 said:
Is the game really good though? I heard it was kind of a let down.

It's very good, one of the few games that does horror right these days.  It has its problems, like shoe horning in Ripley's until now never mentioned daughter as the main character is at best maudlin, but frankly it just does nothing and falls flat; and on the higher difficulties the alien can admittedly be unfair with its comings and goings but with patience you can always get around it. 

Really, Isolation's biggest problem likely isn't it's fault but sega's in that following the shitfest that was colonial marines would sour even the most ardent of alien fans from trusting in their licensed games again.

Shoehorning isn't an accurate description at all. Amanda was mentioned in Aliens(as well as novelizations of both films). There is also 57 years between Alien and Aliens. It in no way disrupts any sort of continuity as of yet. I never had an encounter where I thought it was unfair on two playthroughs so YMMV.

I agree about A:CM though, it surely hurt sales.

Around the Network
Razeak said:
cheshirescat said:
AnthonyW86 said:
Is the game really good though? I heard it was kind of a let down.

It's very good, one of the few games that does horror right these days.  It has its problems, like shoe horning in Ripley's until now never mentioned daughter as the main character is at best maudlin, but frankly it just does nothing and falls flat; and on the higher difficulties the alien can admittedly be unfair with its comings and goings but with patience you can always get around it. 

Really, Isolation's biggest problem likely isn't it's fault but sega's in that following the shitfest that was colonial marines would sour even the most ardent of alien fans from trusting in their licensed games again.

Shoehorning isn't an accurate description at all. Amanda was mentioned in Aliens(as well as novelizations of both films). There is also 57 years between Alien and Aliens. It in no way disrupts any sort of continuity as of yet. I never had an encounter where I thought it was unfair on two playthroughs so YMMV.

I agree about A:CM though, it surely hurt sales.

Was the daughter mentioned?  Obviously I don't recall, it's been years, probably a decade at least, since I watched any alien movie so I'll go with you on it.  My primary problem with Amanda, though, isn't with continuity or some silly canon squabble, it just lacked any real emotional impact for me; the game could well have starred a random Weyland Yutani employee and it would have come to the same basic end.  And unfair may be overstating it, but it's a whole lot more frustrating on hard and nightmare since it seems as if a single thread of your uniform is poking out from cover everything starts trying to kill you.

Amanda was mentioned and shown briefly in the Aliens Directors Cut btw. 

At least it's a million seller.

cheshirescat said:

Was the daughter mentioned?  Obviously I don't recall, it's been years, probably a decade at least, since I watched any alien movie so I'll go with you on it.  My primary problem with Amanda, though, isn't with continuity or some silly canon squabble, it just lacked any real emotional impact for me; the game could well have starred a random Weyland Yutani employee and it would have come to the same basic end.  And unfair may be overstating it, but it's a whole lot more frustrating on hard and nightmare since it seems as if a single thread of your uniform is poking out from cover everything starts trying to kill you.

As mentioned, Amanda Ripley was one of the key plot points dropped from the original theatrical release of Aliens, but was introduced in Cameron's Special Edition, which most fans of the franchise consider to be the "official" version, or at least the preferred version.

Amanda was nothing more than a photo of a senior woman who had died of natural causes several years before Aliens took place. She was 10 when Ellen shipped on the Nostromo and lived a full life, leaving the question of how she lived her life with the disappearance of her only parent. 

So it is a fair assessment to say that the only emotional connection anyone playing Isolation would have with Amanda should be that she is Ripley's daughter and anyone who knew of the character (particularly fans) would want to know what happened to her. 

But yes; it could have been any company employee. The plot just would have lacked that immediate connection between Alien and Aliens. 

Around the Network

one million sales isnt bad, however it deserves more

such a good game

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

foodfather said:
The game is very, very niche but I am surprised vgchartz overtracked it by so much. I think it must be the PS4 EU versions which is overtracked.

1 Mil is still good. Average price of $59, your looking at close to $55 - 60 mil in sales which must easily covery the budget of this game, even with the 30/40% retailer cut.

Game is overtracked by over 500k, but of course it has to be only the PS4 version that's overtracked, even though that only sold 290k in Europe according to vgchartz, jesus christ can you give it rest sometime?

greenmedic88 said:
cheshirescat said:

As mentioned, Amanda Ripley was one of the key plot points dropped from the original theatrical release of Aliens, but was introduced in Cameron's Special Edition, which most fans of the franchise consider to be the "official" version, or at least the preferred version.

Amanda was nothing more than a photo of a senior woman who had died of natural causes several years before Aliens took place. She was 10 when Ellen shipped on the Nostromo and lived a full life, leaving the question of how she lived her life with the disappearance of her only parent. 

So it is a fair assessment to say that the only emotional connection anyone playing Isolation would have with Amanda should be that she is Ripley's daughter and anyone who knew of the character (particularly fans) would want to know what happened to her. 

But yes; it could have been any company employee. The plot just would have lacked that immediate connection between Alien and Aliens. 

Without the missing backstory portion of Ripley having lost her daughter I always felt that the cinema version of her character was more of a woman cliche how much she latched onto Newt and went to face hell to get her back, the special directors cut shows Ripley to be a far stronger character and gives good reason for her not wanting to lose another little girl.

In the full cut you also get to see Hadleys hope and newts parents before it gets overrun by Aliens, tis a great version of one of the best movies ever imo (altho it does add a 5min scene with autogun turrets which is pretty pointless altho it does show why the aliens go to lenghts to come through the roofs and not just tear down the barricades they set up a second time.)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

ganoncrotch said:
greenmedic88 said:
cheshirescat said:

Without the missing backstory portion of Ripley having lost her daughter I always felt that the cinema version of her character was more of a woman cliche how much she latched onto Newt and went to face hell to get her back, the special directors cut shows Ripley to be a far stronger character and gives good reason for her not wanting to lose another little girl.

In the full cut you also get to see Hadleys hope and newts parents before it gets overrun by Aliens, tis a great version of one of the best movies ever imo (altho it does add a 5min scene with autogun turrets which is pretty pointless altho it does show why the aliens go to lenghts to come through the roofs and not just tear down the barricades they set up a second time.)

I'm not sure who said it, but Aliens was a film not so much about the dangers of colonialism, but about motherhood. Ripley as a mother and of course the xenomorph queen and her brood. Without the backstory of Ripley's deceased daughter, it changes the context of her actions to viewers. The Special Edition did a much better job of fleshing things out; the cinematic version suffered from being sold as an early 90s action film, which prioritized rapid plot flow and shorter run time over development.

I actually quite liked the scene with the auto turrets even though they could have used a quick line to explain why the xenomorphs wouldn't simply bust through the barricade to replace the additional 5 minutes of run time. I liked the tension of the scene even though it really didn't add much to the story other than telling the audience that the xenomorphs learn, adapt and can even outmaneuver the human mind (which was already established in the first film). It's easy to see how that scene was cut even though it must have cost a fair amount given the amount of practical effects shots used.

But back on topic, Isolation does serve as a intermediary story between the first two films that help add to the lore of the Alien universe, moreso than another action Colonial Marines game would, which is probably one of the reasons why the game was decently received.

Ummmm... Only goes to prove SEGA's point.

I can't understand the drop in All Stars Racing Transformed, Lost World and Boom are not too hot either... What a shame.