By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next-gen business models are "embarrassing", says Brennan

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=24964

Publisher slams high costs as "ego tripping and copycat mentality"

The spiralling costs of next-gen games development are embarrassing, unworkable and an ego trip for publishers, according to Blast Entertainment CEO Sean Brennan.

Speaking at last week's Northern Exposure conference, Brennan slammed publishers for embarking on multi-million dollar development projects that he believes are financially unworkable and nothing more than an ego trip in the face of competitors.

"What a joke. What embarrassment. There's no way on a USD 20 million development project that you can break even on a game – not now in the cycle," said Brennan.

"Maybe in two years time when the installed base is high enough, but it's an embarrassment at best. But all the publishers are doing it because it's a copycat mentality."

"Some of the costs are absolutely outrageous. I did a project for THQ about 18 months ago and it's like a big ego trip for publishers," he said.

Brennan noted that US publishers are keeping development internal, so company's outside North America are unlikely to get a slice of the pie.

"With these big budgets, all these big American publishers are looking internally. Because when you're spending USD 15 or USD 20 million you don't want to trust an external developer with that sort of budget," stated Brennan.

"And they want the developer in America, first and foremost. A lot of the reason behind that is cultural. Since 9/11 American publishers have become a lot more insular. That's going to continue to be a key issue, it's a worrying factor."

Offering advice to the UK development community, Brennan said studios should play to their strengths and understand that UK taste doesn't always work on a global scale.

"US culture and taste works globally. You may not like that, but that's how it works. UK tastes don't always work. The world is dominated by the big US players and there's an inherent danger there for the UK development community," offered Brennan.

"Yes, the market is changing, but the consumer base is changing as well. You've got to look to areas where you've got a critical advantage. The UK development community is the most vibrant and creative development community in the world, in terms of implementing new ideas and having great gameplay."

"What the American's do better is the production values, which they can afford to when they're spending USD 20 million on a game - the games look sumptuous but don't particularly play so well. UK developers need to play to their traditional strengths," he concluded.

Around the Network

I think we'll see a move away from the mega-budget titles at some point, after a few big flops burn the publishers. Or more likely, some consolidation in the industry, sort of like the movie business, where there are a few relatively conservative players in the risky, big-budget end (sometimes with co-production agreements) and more interesting stuff going on in the low-budget district. I think online distribution will have a lot to show us in coming years -- things like Calling All Cars or Jetpac Refuelled would never have gotten a green light as a $50 packaged title, but at $5-$10 almost any playable idea will get a shot at finding an audience. (Comparable to a movie ticket price, right?) On the other hand, if the videogame market grows in general, there may be a bigger appetite for the "blockbusters" that currently achieve a pathetically small mindshare compared to movies or television. Interesting times ahead, however things play out.

I think that's a little harsh, because a lot of gamers demand such graphics. But I do agree it does not pay off this early in a system's life.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

In other industries I have seen companies jump into expensive projects with a "Gung ho" attitude and a belief that their great risk will end with a great reward; in most cases these companies end up in trouble and never and future risks are looked upon in a very negative light.

I expect that there will be some companies who end up producing games that (more than) justify the cost of development, but many companies will end up developing several games that cost $20 Million to produce and sell 100,000 copies each (even if the game is high quality) and may end up bankrupt.

"US culture and taste works globally. You may not like that, but that's how it works. UK tastes don't always work. The world is dominated by the big US players and there's an inherent danger there for the UK development community," offered Brennan.

That'll be why the 360 is selling so well in Japan then?

Idiot. 

Around the Network
SpaceJase said:

That'll be why the 360 is selling so well in Japan then?

Idiot. 

I think you missed his point ...

Canadian/British humor has a lot of similarities, and (being a Canadian) I tend to find sarcastic-dry humor and satire to be far funnier than the crass potty-humor that Americans generally generate. The American comedies generally sell well in every country around the world whereas Canadian/British comedies do adequately in local theaters (and in countries with similar tastes) and fail to make a big impact elsewhere ...

Regardless of whether you like Grand-Theft Auto or Halo you have to admit that these games are highly successful on a wordwide scale; most games made in the UK will not be able to achieve these levels of success.

HappySquirrel, I don't see what humour has to do with it and I think I got his point loud and clear. His assertion that US culture is global is clearly disproven by the 360's performance in Japan. There have been plenty of UK developed games that have been hugely successful. Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, the Wipeout games, Lemmings - just off the top of my head. This guy is clearly talking BS. Name me one UK developed game that has bombed because of cultural differences (not sports titles btw).

360 and Ps3 are a pitiful example of video game economic inflation, costing more to do less and less with each dollar. and the stupid fans can't get enough of this shit.

Lemmings, my first ever PC game. I didn't even know it was made here, thanks for the info :)

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Vengi said:
Lemmings, my first ever PC game. I didn't even know it was made here, thanks for the info :)

Made in Scotland by DMA design (now Rockstar North) and not a haggis in sight. ;)