By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next-gen business models are "embarrassing", says Brennan

johnlucas said:

Sounds like something Sean Malstrom talked about once.

http://thewiikly.zogdog.com/article.php?article=34&ed=3

http://thewiikly.zogdog.com/article.php?article=51&ed=5

http://thewiikly.zogdog.com/article.php?article=59&ed=6

http://thewiikly.zogdog.com/article.php?article=87&ed=10

John Lucas

The excerpt on the fourth link caught my eye:

"Many of the nationwide (US) mainstream journalists have a problem with the notion that journalism must be sold as a product as with any business. When Nightline was shown overflowing with red ink, the company president began the process of layoffs and trimming the fat. Dan Rather thought this “wasn’t right” so he went up to the company president and told him that the news ought not be subject to the profit and loss cycle as every other division in the company (laughs). Journalism is the only business I know where they arrogantly say that the customer is wrong."

Now it does look like a way to justify outlets such as fox news, but those outlets just pander to willful ignorance. It is possible to sell real news if done right. Look at the Daily Show.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
SpaceJase said:
It's scary to think that those Sean malstrom articles where written last year. Incredible insight into the business thinking behind Nintendo and the others. Has this guy stopped writing or has he moved to another site? I want to read the aftermath articles.

I e-mailed him from time to time and almost thought about writing for the site myself before I saw that it sort of shut down. I learned about that guy from someone posting a link in N-Philes forum & have been hooked ever since.

The guy is beyond a gameplayer and that's why his views are more well-formed. These are things I had thought upon but he fleshed out the vision more than I would have. I'm gonna try to get a correspondence with this cat and maybe get him to write some stuff up at Popzart with me and the gang. The guy is seriously genius!

I'd love to hear his takes on the scene now.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

SpaceJase said:
Haha! Yes, even he undeestimated the Wii it seems.

If you do a search for my words made on Kotaku, Joystiq, & N-Philes forum among other places, you'll see *I* didn't. This is all going according to plan as far as I'm concerned & I know it's only getting started.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

SpaceJase said:

Actually, DMA are responsible for the GTA series which kinda hammers the final nail in the coffin of Happy Squirrel's theory about UK devs not being able to make a game as popular as GTA :S

Goldeneye, Donkey Kong Country, PD, Banjo Kazooie etc - Rare, Twycross

Lemmings, GTA Series - DMA design/Rockstar North, Dundee

PGR series - Bizarre Creations, Liverpool

TOCA series - Codemasters, Warwickshire

Populus, Black and White, Fable - Lionhead, Surrey

Tomb Raider Series - Eidos, London

Worms Series - Team 17, West Yorkshire

Burnout Series - Criterion, Guildford

Timesplitters Series - Free Radical, Nottingham

At some point, I agree with you but I think that Brennan still got a valid point.

All these games are successfull but while being made in GB, they are culturally mostly american or at least Occiden-neutral, which often means... american. GTA is the most obvious example, all episodes (except for 2D London) happening in US "cities" with US reference (Miami Vice, Boyz in the hood, etc.), US radio station alike...

Only a few of them (I'll say first Tomb Raider and Fable) carry out some GB cultur.

And GTA or Gears of War (considering the small X360 market) do well in Japan, like some others. Nothing like japaneese titles, of course, but you have to understand how much protective japan market is.

And most importantly, dispite its huge size, japan is still... ONE country. So yes, in some way, american cultur is the one that do the best in foreign countries.