By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why I don't care about Evolve

LudicrousSpeed said:

Evolve was delayed to add an offline component and more modes into the game. Doesn't really sound like they were so abundant with content that they decided to hold some off for DLC. TR is a small studio. We'll see if the DLC is kb sized unlock keys like other games or if it's real actual DLC.

The problem with the "incomplete" logic is you can extrapolate it and apply it to virtually every game and even most movies and music. Last of Us is widely considered a masterpiece but has loads and loads of DLC. I guess it is actually an incomplete game? There's a difference between situations like Ass Creed where there was meaty DLC ready so soon from launch and a situation like Evolve where they are still working on it. There's also a difference between a situation like Destiny where there was an obvious shift in the design of the game and we were given something radically different than what was shown, apparently for the purpose of maximizing DLC. Evolve is still the same experience it was shown to be when it was revealed around this time last year.

There are two flaws with Evolve's DLC. One is the price, which I don't expect to be the real price for long because it's just stupid, and the day one skin unlocks you get for preordering/buying "ultra" editions or whatever. But I would much rather see skins dangled as a carrot as opposed to maps like other MP games have done, or weapons, among other actual substantial things. And at the same time if a developer chooses to dangle a map as preorder incentive, more power to them! Day one sales are the most important thing in the world to these guys. I would take that over banning used game sales or having every game come with a one time use activation code.

Come on, you say AssCreed's DLC was ready from the get go, and then defend Evolve who advertises DLC and Season Pass months in advance. And to equate something like a story DLC to a $15 monster?

I mean, how long does it take to create one monster? Months? So they could not finish it in time, but need $15 for something like that.

Turtle Rock themselves said months ago that they are working on a DLC friendly game. So basically the same strategy as Destiny. 

As I said, most games are incomplete, but that doesn't mean Evolve should also be, and demand $25 for some character skins. 

And of course they had to add an offline mode, because the game would sell even worse without it. It's a shame nobody really knows it exists, as their major marketing is focused on DLC instead on the game itself.

Around the Network
Burek said:
LudicrousSpeed said:

Evolve was delayed to add an offline component and more modes into the game. Doesn't really sound like they were so abundant with content that they decided to hold some off for DLC. TR is a small studio. We'll see if the DLC is kb sized unlock keys like other games or if it's real actual DLC.

The problem with the "incomplete" logic is you can extrapolate it and apply it to virtually every game and even most movies and music. Last of Us is widely considered a masterpiece but has loads and loads of DLC. I guess it is actually an incomplete game? There's a difference between situations like Ass Creed where there was meaty DLC ready so soon from launch and a situation like Evolve where they are still working on it. There's also a difference between a situation like Destiny where there was an obvious shift in the design of the game and we were given something radically different than what was shown, apparently for the purpose of maximizing DLC. Evolve is still the same experience it was shown to be when it was revealed around this time last year.

There are two flaws with Evolve's DLC. One is the price, which I don't expect to be the real price for long because it's just stupid, and the day one skin unlocks you get for preordering/buying "ultra" editions or whatever. But I would much rather see skins dangled as a carrot as opposed to maps like other MP games have done, or weapons, among other actual substantial things. And at the same time if a developer chooses to dangle a map as preorder incentive, more power to them! Day one sales are the most important thing in the world to these guys. I would take that over banning used game sales or having every game come with a one time use activation code.

Come on, you say AssCreed's DLC was ready from the get go, and then defend Evolve who advertises DLC and Season Pass months in advance. And to equate something like a story DLC to a $15 monster?

I mean, how long does it take to create one monster? Months? So they could not finish it in time, but need $15 for something like that.

Turtle Rock themselves said months ago that they are working on a DLC friendly game. So basically the same strategy as Destiny. 

As I said, most games are incomplete, but that doesn't mean Evolve should also be, and demand $25 for some character skins. 

And of course they had to add an offline mode, because the game would sell even worse without it. It's a shame nobody really knows it exists, as their major marketing is focused on DLC instead on the game itself.

It's 15$ for one monster?

Aren't there 4 monsters in the game day one? So that means those 4 monsters alone are woth 60$ if they weren't already in the game...Lmao what the hell.

It also seems like a plain in the ass to get a proper team together if you're not playing as the monster.

There are 3 monsters day one. The 4th comes down the line some time.

And it's not just about creating one monster. You then have to balance it and make sure it works in all maps and modes. While they are also right now adjusting whatever they need to adjust after looking at the beta statistics. For example the Wraith win % was far higher than other monsters. Why? They'll need to adjust.

The "DLC friendly game" thing was in comparison to Left 4 Dead. In L4D they could add new levels and stuff but the design of the game prevented them from real expansions with new characters on either side. Evolve is completely different. They can snap in new hunters, or new monsters, or new levels, or all three. And after the support they had for the L4D series I have no worries about Evolve.

$15 is a dumb price for a monster. Like I said, it's not going to stick. All they are doing is trying to drum up preorders. And I think plenty of people know about the offline component. Just because you don't know much about the game you're discussing, doesn't mean others don't :) I'm out.

LudicrousSpeed said:
There are 3 monsters day one. The 4th comes down the line some time.

And it's not just about creating one monster. You then have to balance it and make sure it works in all maps and modes. While they are also right now adjusting whatever they need to adjust after looking at the beta statistics. For example the Wraith win % was far higher than other monsters. Why? They'll need to adjust.

The "DLC friendly game" thing was in comparison to Left 4 Dead. In L4D they could add new levels and stuff but the design of the game prevented them from real expansions with new characters on either side. Evolve is completely different. They can snap in new hunters, or new monsters, or new levels, or all three. And after the support they had for the L4D series I have no worries about Evolve.

$15 is a dumb price for a monster. Like I said, it's not going to stick. All they are doing is trying to drum up preorders. And I think plenty of people know about the offline component. Just because you don't know much about the game you're discussing, doesn't mean others don't :) I'm out.

I think I may be missing something here.  Evolve is being developed, and it has... some content.  While it is being developed, DLC is being developed. Can you or perhaps someone else explain to me how this has been deemed "ok"?  Because it seems to me that, I don't know, "We're making a game and making "extra" content... let's just put it in that $60 game".  Why is it acceptable for a game maker to be simultaneously developing a base experince and extra paid experince?  The concept, at least to me, has always made more sense as you make a game, release it, make extras after.  Any "extra" made during development of the base game go in the base game.

Has the entire concept of DLC gone over my head or something?

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Around the Network
DerNebel said:
toot1231 said:
but guys the DLC will fix it right?... right? just buy the season pass and it will be fine and also they will probably give us a free game if we do not sue!

I don't even know who you're trying to mock with this comment.

everyone

http://moongypsy.bandcamp.com/ ~Thank you Stefl1504 for the amazing sig~

i cant believe what this industry has become thanks to the "BIG BOYS". Just leave me with Nintendo please and ill be fine.

theprof00 said:
bastard stole my corey feldman bus pass romance novel idea

No he didnt, he totally isnt writing that novel right now

Not sure how I feel about this game anymore, I was kinda excited for it :/

Apparently I got into the Beta, didn't know until today but Beta is over. Thanks 2K (okay so my fault for not checking my emails more but still). Considering during the Alpha I couldn't get in because 'you require Playstation Plus'. Now I have PS+ I didn't realise they were even doing a Beta until I checked my emails 10 minutes ago.

... but all my interest for the game has long gone. Too man DLC/pre-order packages, the game looks a bit stale and premise just doesn't look that interesting.

I probably would have had a go in the Beta but alas, probably never play the game now.

Hmm, pie.