By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Xenoblade Chronicles X localization "well under way"

Tagged games:

sc94597 said:
Materia-Blade said:
sc94597 said:
cfin2987@gmail.com said:

Closer to reality than using a New Jersey accent though. And yes, of course it has changed. But at least if they use accents from European countries, it works with the image of .....you know.....Europe. 

Except no. There are many things American English preserved that RP lost, and viceverse. Have you even read a Middle English text? Also since when did Xenoblade X take place in Europe? If anything it is in Neo-Los Angeles and other furture American city ships.

Xenoblade Chronicles X takes place in a different universe than ours.

And the medival fantasy movies/shows don't? He first argued that it is xenophobia to not want English voice-actors in Xenoblade X. Then he argues that he hates it when there are American accents in medival fantasy movies/shows because it is based on Europe. Then he says that it doesn't matter whether or not the language is accurate, what matters is where the accent comes from. So I mentioned that Xenoblade X doesn't take place in Europe, the characters come from an American city ship. Using his logic that an accent must come from the same location that the setting takes place, it would not be xenophobia to only want American VA's because the game takes place on an American city-ship. 

American city ship not the united states and its in a different universe means that any accent goes. Also, they could even be mexican if its american. It would be xenophobic to exclude any one. It`s obvious. 

Actual european history requires european accents. Therefore this is logic. 

Yu also used the term "british accent" which isnt a thing and now you come out swining as if your an expert. 

Also please refrain  from being abrasive.

Around the Network

A couple of things.

One. A game based in New York is not going to be populated with Englishmen simply because "York is an English city, therefore New York is also an English city" ;)

However the ship did have an American flag, so I would expect most accents will be American.

Two. It helps with the whole immersive nature of a game if you are able to see yourself in the protagonists, maybe friends in other characters. Likelihood there is that your native accent will help that, so despite the ship being American I hope there are British accents (which do exist, encompassing a range of accents on the British isles) in the EU release, Aussie for the oceania release. Unfortunately for those regions I think the powers that be will cut corners and just pinch the American voice acting> So I hope they pick good voice actors!

cfin2987@gmail.com said:

never said it did. please read the conversation before making comments. "The worst is when TV networks make European medieval  fantasy shows with American accents."

thanks. 

And my point was that Xenoblade X takes place in an American setting (American city) and by your logic should have American voice-actors, hence contradicting your claim of xenophobia. 

Quote Tree Shortened and User Moderated - Conegamer

Conegamer said:

I really don't think that just because it's set in Neo LA, that they need to have American accents. After all they speak Japanese so accent is hardly an issue.

...Of course it would be an issue. American's have American accents. They absolutely need to have American accents. Maybe the Nopon and other races will have other accents, but it would be plain stupid and honestly enraging for them to make the New LA natives speak with an incorrect accent.

cfin2987@gmail.com said:

Actually I never used the term British accent. Use ctrl + f please.  I used the terms received pronunciation and English accent, which are indeed things. It's quite  obvious you don't know what you're talking about. Medieval people in England spoke middle english, which has nothing to do with the language spoken today in England (and the U.S) other than being its ancestor. It is a vastly different language than both its decendents are to one another. Some Americans (whom many are of English decent) speak a dialect of English that is more archaic in some ways than RP (Received Pronunciation.) So it is silly to say that RP is closer to Middle English than Standard American. Then your final argument is a silly location-based one. Well I think New-Los Angeles is definitely an American city. It has the American flag on it and all.

edit: By the way, I was matching your abrasiveness, by your declaration of xenophobia while mantaining hyper-nationalism. 

Quote Tree Shortened - Conegamer

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:

On a fictional universe, they can have whatever accent the developers want.

In a fictional city named after an American city with a giant America flag and giant letters spelling "United States" on the shell of that city, no they can't.

Quote trees please guys, remember to keep them below three.

It's like a forest in here!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

noname2200 said:

spemanig said:

Neo Los Angeles, dude. It takes place in a hub city called Neo Los Angeles. An American city. American.

...Why the fuck couldn't it have been Neo London?

Takahashi says it's because you touch yourself at night. Way to ruin it for everybody.

...Context clues. You should have been able to "ruin it" for yourself ages ago. This has been common knowledge for years.

Conegamer said:
Quote trees please guys, remember to keep them below three.

It's like a forest in here!

I swear you can smell them from a mile away.

jigokutamago said:
celador said:
Who is Troy Baker voicing?

Everyone.

Haha I was going to say this. Like Eddie Murphy in The Nutty Professor.