By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - (Honest opinions) Will Sony stay in the handheld console business after the Vita ?

Tagged games:

Will Sony make a successor for Vita ?

Yes, they can make a successful handheld. 77 20.81%

No, they're done with portable gaming. 293 79.19%

Total:370

Answering to the question, I can say it's a big "if". Just selling badly on a gen won't necessary make a company quit. Sega didn't quit after Saturn, MS didn't quit after XBox, Ninty didn't quit after GC. I honestly thought they would do a phone/handheld hybrid again, but the rumour of the Xperia division sale really gave me some doubts.

In a way, I think they would quit: they are way more successful in home consoles and handhelds are a market that can die soon. But if they are trimming the company around the PS division, would it make sense if they trimmed an entire line of products in their core division? Would the Xperia sale mean that they will still make the phone hybrid but since PS division will make it they don't need Xperia.

I was betting on the phone hybrid because it could do some good numbers. Vita, troubled as it is, probably sold more than their last high-end phones did in the last 3 years combined. So it could go either way right now and we probably won't know before 2019/20.

Edit: my biggest concern with the "phone streaming" thing it that it doesn't look much feasible. It will only work on wi-fi. It won't work on the go with 4G connections. It's not video streaming where you have a buffer. And most people have data caps. I don't see the utility of having streaming if it will only work where you have wi-fi available.

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:
retroking1981 said:

Really not sure but like a few others have mentioned the Vita isn't going anywhere.

Its very powerful and I could imagine it staying around so long that it's sales will end up being respectful, and because of being around so long will probably end up profitable.

Because of these reasons it will also slowly start getting more support, look at RE Revelations 2. The 3DS has been a success but for numerous reasons the Vita which is selling horribly is getting it.

Also how powerful will Nintendos next handheld be? Why would Capcom for example make MH5-6 or whatever it will be on by then for the next Nintendo handheld when the Vita (which will possibly be comparable in power) will have a bigger install base.

Vita has sold horribly like the Wii U but the Wii U will not have the continued support or (for want of a better word) 'luck' of the Vita.

In short, Vita will outsell and outlast Wii U, but going back to the OP... I'm very unsure if Sony will ever release another handheld, at least a dedicated one.

Vita is getting Revelations 2 because Sony themselves is publishing it. It would not have been made if it was up to Capcom. Just like Ultra SF4 for the PS4.

The PS360 versions are from Capcom. There were no plans for a Next Gen version of USF4 until Sony started their partnership with Capcom.  USF4 is not on the Xbox One.

jetforcejiminy said:
retroking1981 said:
Really not sure but like a few others have mentioned the Vita isn't going anywhere.

Its very powerful and I could imagine it staying around so long that it's sales will end up being respectful, and because of being around so long will probably end up profitable.

Because of these reasons it will also slowly start geiing more support, look at RE Revelations 2. The 3DS has been a huge success but for numerous reasons the Vita which is selling horribly is getting it.

Also how powerful will Nintendos next handheld be? Why would Capcom for example make MH5-6 or whatever it will be on by then for the next Nintendo handheld when the Vita (which will possibly be comparable in power) will have a bigger install base.

Vita has sold horribly like the Wii U but the Wii U will not have the continued support or (for want of a better word) 'luck' of the Vita.

In short, Vita will outsell and outlast Wii U, but going back to the OP... I'm very unsure if Sony will ever release another handheld, at least a dedicated one.

the vita is getting "revelaitons" 2 because it's easy as hell to port to vita from ps3/4. and by easy as hell i mean fool-proof. you too could create your own vita port!

as for the vita sticking around, that's how the psp got to 80m, but the thing is the psp at least had support. a resident evil port and a bunch of jrpgs and dating sims will not help the vita sell. and lo and behold, the vita has not sold. 2m in 2014 (mostly in japan), much fewer than in 2013, and likely much fewer to come in 2015. vita'll be lucky to get to 12-13m without sony pulling the plug on it completely. freedom wars will probably be the last high-profile release, and that wasn't even that high-profile... as for the wii u comparison, there is no comparison. the wii u is getting the lion's share of nintendo's attention whereas vita is getting indie games and jrpgs. wii u will easily pass the vita in mid-2015. and the wii u will be around until 2017-18--no nintendo platform has ever been supported for fewer than 5-6 years except for the virtual boy, and the wii u is not doing virtual boy numbers (the vita's much, much closer to that).

btw, no namecalling: i am a happy vita owner. it's great for playing psone classics and psp games. and tearaway.

It seems the Vita is getting more exclusives in 2015, then it got in 2014 and 2013. Sure not from 1st party or western devs but third party support is increasing and the exclusives are getting bigger in japan, sales ratio's are improving between it and PS3 cross gen titles and I see this all being a continued pattern. All of this bodes well for the future and of course its not gonna touch PSP levels of success but the if the big Japanese devs get behind it that will reflect in western sales. Also we shouldn't undermine JRPGs as if they don't sell systems, they surely do when they are good quality and big. So far the Vita has only had 2 that I would say fit that category; Persona 4 and Final Fantasy XHD. Both were ports yet sold very well and shifted systems.

Also the Vita will likely be here longer then the Wii U. Key being 3rd parties make money of it and its sales in Japan, it doesn't recieve the holiday boost but the majority of the year Vita has a higher baseline and hardware is probably more profitable then the Wii U. Nintendo also have a very strong history of dropping support for systems like a rock when they have a new system out, as we saw with the PSP/PS3/360 3rd parties are so quick to do so.

It could go either way. I believe Sony can turn the Vita around if they really wanted to but it might not be worth it to them.

Vita is powerful enough to last for a few more years anyway so it could pull a Gamrboy and stay for 2 gens.

I don't think sony are in a hurry to make another handheld. Whether they did will probably be dependent on how much profit/if any the Vita provides them. It could be we all really under/overestimate the resources into releasing a new handheld. It could be that a new PSP which sells at profit with japanese support on board is a safer bet then most of their mobile division lol.

The Vita is proficient enough to last 2 gens anyway, If they get it close to $99 (japanese equivalent) price point before Nintendo's next console, they could really turn things round. The big question is will the software support be there? I think by the end of this year, the systems future will be much clearer.

In Japan software support is getting a lot better

Around the Network
jetforcejiminy said:
retroking1981 said:

Because of these reasons it will also slowly start geiing more support, look at RE Revelations 2. The 3DS has been a huge success but for numerous reasons the Vita which is selling horribly is getting it.

the vita is getting "revelaitons" 2 because it's easy as hell to port to vita from ps3/4. and by easy as hell i mean fool-proof. you too could create your own vita port!

as for the vita sticking around, that's how the psp got to 80m, but the thing is the psp at least had support. a resident evil port and a bunc h of jrpgs and dating sims will not help the vita sell. and lo and behold, the vita has not sold. 2m in 2014 (mostly in japan), much fewer than in 2013, and likely much fewer to come in 2015. vita'll be lucky to get to 12-13m without sony pulling the plug on it completely. freedom wars will probably be the last high-profile release, and that wasn't even that high-profile... as for the wii u comparison, there is no comparison. the wii u is getting the lion's share of nintendo's attention whereas vita is getting indie games and jrpgs. wii u will easily pass the vita in mid-2015. and the wii u will be around until 2017-18--no nintendo platform has ever been supported for fewer than 5-6 years except for the virtual boy, and the wii u is not doing virtual boy numbers (the vita's much, much closer to that).

btw, no namecalling: i am a happy vita owner. it's great for playing psone classics and psp games. and tearaway.

1. Vita is 100% undertracked in VGChartz and there are a lot of proofs for this.
2. How do you know the Wii U will be longer supported than the Vita? 
3. Wii U has 0% Third-Party Support, Vita has at least ports from good games!
4. And Vita is still getting exclusive games in 2015, Grim Fandango, J-Stars, One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 etc. are all Playstation/console exclusive! Vita owners are happy!

Dr.Vita said:
jetforcejiminy said:
retroking1981 said:

as for the vita sticking around, that's how the psp got to 80m, but the thing is the psp at least had support. a resident evil port and a bunc h of jrpgs and dating sims will not help the vita sell. and lo and behold, the vita has not sold. 2m in 2014 (mostly in japan), much fewer than in 2013, and likely much fewer to come in 2015. vita'll be lucky to get to 12-13m without sony pulling the plug on it completely. freedom wars will probably be the last high-profile release, and that wasn't even that high-profile... as for the wii u comparison, there is no comparison. the wii u is getting the lion's share of nintendo's attention whereas vita is getting indie games and jrpgs. wii u will easily pass the vita in mid-2015. and the wii u will be around until 2017-18--no nintendo platform has ever been supported for fewer than 5-6 years except for the virtual boy, and the wii u is not doing virtual boy numbers (the vita's much, much closer to that).

1. Vita is 100% undertracked in VGChartz and there are a lot of proofs for this.
4. And Vita is still getting First-Party games in 2015, Grim Fandango, J-Stars, One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 etc. are all Playstation/console exclusive! Vita owners are happy!

1st party means developed in house by sony devs, those don't fit the bill lol

NO! Especially how their Phones aren't selling close to how their competitors is doing.
And their not even doing THEIR BEST with the handheld. .

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Since the Vita did so poorly I feel that they won't. If they make decide to make another one I hope that they learned not to stop supporting it halfway through it's life cycle.

teigaga said:
Dr.Vita said:
jetforcejiminy said:
retroking1981 said:

4. And Vita is still getting First-Party games in 2015, Grim Fandango, J-Stars, One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 etc. are all Playstation/console exclusive! Vita owners are happy!

1st party means developed in house by sony devs, those don't fit the bill lol

My fault, edit it.