By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - (Honest opinions) Will Sony stay in the handheld console business after the Vita ?

Tagged games:

Will Sony make a successor for Vita ?

Yes, they can make a successful handheld. 77 20.81%

No, they're done with portable gaming. 293 79.19%

Total:370
bunchanumbers said:
DanneSandin said:
4 trolls have voted "yes" ^^ and why do I call them trolls? Because none have offered an explanation in the comments, that's why I assume they're trolls. So don't ban me.

Is there really any argument that would support Sony going with another handheld?

The only thing I can think of is if they find a way to make some sort of flip phone like the PSP GO was and add a touch screen. Even then I am not sure that it would be a wise idea.

I think the only reason for Sony to make another HH is if they have a brilliant idea/gimmick. If it supports holographic games for a reasonable price, I think Sony would go for it. But thats not likely, it it? ;)

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

No, not in the west at least. They do have a lot of 3rd party support inside Japan so it's hard to ignore that market while they still managed to make games sell there quite well and enough to make a lower cost handheld succeed but not one with so many teaks as the Vita had.

...Let the Sony Domination continue with the PS4...

I dont think we will see another Sony handheld, but they will make tablet that is more gaming and those PS Now plans..

Even though i own a VITA, and have owned every version of Sony's handheld, yes, they should quit after the VITA. Sales figures should be enough to prove that.

I like handeld gaming and love my vita, but it seems Sony's new policy is to give up on every division doing bad.

So not going to happen.

Around the Network

If Sony stays in the mobile phone game I can see them developing a Vita-esque controller cradle for slotting your phone into. And with PS Now there will be a ton of amazing game content you will be able to play on your phone using a real controller. If Sony doesn't stay in mobile phones I think they should still do this. Only they should make PS Now available at least on iPhone and Android and make controller cradles for iPhone at least. At least make an Android app allowing you to connect a DS3 or DS4 to your phone, if not make a Vita-type cradle.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

if sony doesn't have the scratch to stay in the flatlined pc business, why in the world would they bother to stay in the declining dedicated handheld gaming business? nintendo will go back to having a monopoly on it (which means they'll still do decent numbers) with no competitors in sight just as it was pre-psp.

i see sony making endless runners featuring sack boy and free-to-play puzzle games featuring fat princess and calling that their mobile business from now on, tho, so buckle up boys...

Really not sure but like a few others have mentioned the Vita isn't going anywhere.

Its very powerful and I could imagine it staying around so long that it's sales will end up being respectful, and because of being around so long will probably end up profitable.

Because of these reasons it will also slowly start getting more support, look at RE Revelations 2. The 3DS has been a success but for numerous reasons the Vita which is selling horribly is getting it.

Also how powerful will Nintendos next handheld be? Why would Capcom for example make MH5-6 or whatever it will be on by then for the next Nintendo handheld when the Vita (which will possibly be comparable in power) will have a bigger install base.

Vita has sold horribly like the Wii U but the Wii U will not have the continued support or (for want of a better word) 'luck' of the Vita.

In short, Vita will outsell and outlast Wii U, but going back to the OP... I'm very unsure if Sony will ever release another handheld, at least a dedicated one.

retroking1981 said:
Really not sure but like a few others have mentioned the Vita isn't going anywhere.

Its very powerful and I could imagine it staying around so long that it's sales will end up being respectful, and because of being around so long will probably end up profitable.

Because of these reasons it will also slowly start geiing more support, look at RE Revelations 2. The 3DS has been a huge success but for numerous reasons the Vita which is selling horribly is getting it.

Also how powerful will Nintendos next handheld be? Why would Capcom for example make MH5-6 or whatever it will be on by then for the next Nintendo handheld when the Vita (which will possibly be comparable in power) will have a bigger install base.

Vita has sold horribly like the Wii U but the Wii U will not have the continued support or (for want of a better word) 'luck' of the Vita.

In short, Vita will outsell and outlast Wii U, but going back to the OP... I'm very unsure if Sony will ever release another handheld, at least a dedicated one.

the vita is getting "revelaitons" 2 because it's easy as hell to port to vita from ps3/4. and by easy as hell i mean fool-proof. you too could create your own vita port!

as for the vita sticking around, that's how the psp got to 80m, but the thing is the psp at least had support. a resident evil port and a bunch of jrpgs and dating sims will not help the vita sell. and lo and behold, the vita has not sold. 2m in 2014 (mostly in japan), much fewer than in 2013, and likely much fewer to come in 2015. vita'll be lucky to get to 12-13m without sony pulling the plug on it completely. freedom wars will probably be the last high-profile release, and that wasn't even that high-profile... as for the wii u comparison, there is no comparison. the wii u is getting the lion's share of nintendo's attention whereas vita is getting indie games and jrpgs. wii u will easily pass the vita in mid-2015. and the wii u will be around until 2017-18--no nintendo platform has ever been supported for fewer than 5-6 years except for the virtual boy, and the wii u is not doing virtual boy numbers (the vita's much, much closer to that).

btw, no namecalling: i am a happy vita owner. it's great for playing psone classics and psp games. and tearaway.

jetforcejiminy said:

the vita is getting "revelaitons" 2 because it's easy as hell to port to vita from ps3/4. and by easy as hell i mean fool-proof. you too could create your own vita port!

as for the vita sticking around, that's how the psp got to 80m, but the thing is the psp at least had support. a resident evil port and a bunch of jrpgs and dating sims will not help the vita sell. and lo and behold, the vita has not sold. 2m in 2014 (mostly in japan), much fewer than in 2013, and likely much fewer to come in 2015. vita'll be lucky to get to 12-13m without sony pulling the plug on it completely. freedom wars will probably be the last high-profile release, and that wasn't even that high-profile... as for the wii u comparison, there is no comparison. the wii u is getting the lion's share of nintendo's attention whereas vita is getting indie games and jrpgs. wii u will easily pass the vita in mid-2015. and the wii u will be around until 2017-18--no nintendo platform has ever been supported for fewer than 5-6 years except for the virtual boy, and the wii u is not doing virtual boy numbers (the vita's much, much closer to that).

btw, no namecalling: i am a happy vita owner. it's great for playing psone classics and psp games. and tearaway.

Yes, because selling 9M units is close to selling 0.5M. Right now, the Wii U woould be closer to 0.5M than the Vita.