By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - (Honest opinions) Will Sony stay in the handheld console business after the Vita ?

Tagged games:

Will Sony make a successor for Vita ?

Yes, they can make a successful handheld. 77 20.81%

No, they're done with portable gaming. 293 79.19%

Total:370

I wish it wasn't, but this is the end for the Playstation handheld market.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Around the Network

I think Sony thought 3rd party will support Vita naturally just like they supported PSP and Sony homeconsoles that's why it fail.
Will sony stay in the handhland buisness it depends if they believe 3rd party will support their potential next handheld

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Depends on the succes of VR.. if it catches on I do see Sony make a dedicated media device that connects to a VR helmet that can also play games.. that said I don't see VR catching on..

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Dr.Vita said:
1. Vita is 100% undertracked in VGChartz and there are a lot of proofs for this.
2. How do you know the Wii U will be longer supported than the Vita? 
3. Wii U has 0% Third-Party Support, Vita has at least ports from good games!
4. And Vita is still getting exclusive games in 2015, Grim Fandango, J-Stars, One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 etc. are all Playstation/console exclusive! Vita owners are happy!

1. 100% you say. Like everything is double what vgchartz says? Don't believe it.

2. Probably won't as a succesor will kill it's support. Vita will potentially still get ports from the next nintendo handheld in japan so it will last longer than wii u. In the west however im not sure...

3. Barely anyone wants watered down ports. Id rather play them on my console.

4. It's getting ps4/3 ports. answer 3 kinda covers that one.

Im happy with my vita but I have severe doubts about it actually getting any games im interested in playing from this point onwards....

Oh and the PSP shouldnt be used as a reason for sony to make another handheld. It sold because it was an object you could use to carry around mp3s, movies ect and was considered cool tech. Unfortuantely smartphones have obliterated that selling point and sony can't use it again. It all falls down to games now.

bananaking21 said:
no. and they shouldnt. Vita was an utter failure. even the nintendo handheld market shrank considerably, its just not as big as it used to be and will continue to shrink.

Nintendo made mistakes thing gen that why it sold less then other Nintendo handhled

Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

Around the Network
small44 said:
bananaking21 said:
no. and they shouldnt. Vita was an utter failure. even the nintendo handheld market shrank considerably, its just not as big as it used to be and will continue to shrink.

Nintendo made mistakes thing gen that why it sold less then other Nintendo handhled

the market is shrinking considerably. no matter what nintendo do that wont change. 

Not a chance, PS Now will be there new side project, sending games to any and all mobile devices.

teigaga said:
I don't think sony are in a hurry to make another handheld. Whether they did will probably be dependent on how much profit/if any the Vita provides them. It could be we all really under/overestimate the resources into releasing a new handheld. It could be that a new PSP which sells at profit with japanese support on board is a safer bet then most of their mobile division lol.

The Vita is proficient enough to last 2 gens anyway, If they get it close to $99 (japanese equivalent) price point before Nintendo's next console, they could really turn things round. The big question is will the software support be there? I think by the end of this year, the systems future will be much clearer.

In Japan software support is getting a lot better

Nodobdy use vita power it will not last 2 gens

Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

3DS - 80m

bananaking21 said:
small44 said:
bananaking21 said:

the market is shrinking considerably. no matter what nintendo do that wont change. 

I don't believe in that, you don't make mistake and you support your handheld well you're handheld will sell well

Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

3DS - 80m

small44 said:
bananaking21 said:

I don't believe in that, you don't make mistake and you support your handheld well you're handheld will sell well

come on man. Vita wont end one fourth of the PSP sales and 3DS wont reach one half of the DS sales, and you are telling me you dont believe the handheld market is shrinking?