By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - (Honest opinions) Will Sony stay in the handheld console business after the Vita ?

Tagged games:

Will Sony make a successor for Vita ?

Yes, they can make a successful handheld. 77 20.81%

No, they're done with portable gaming. 293 79.19%

Total:370

They have no money to spare.

Around the Network
retroking1981 said:

Really not sure but like a few others have mentioned the Vita isn't going anywhere.

Its very powerful and I could imagine it staying around so long that it's sales will end up being respectful, and because of being around so long will probably end up profitable.

Because of these reasons it will also slowly start getting more support, look at RE Revelations 2. The 3DS has been a success but for numerous reasons the Vita which is selling horribly is getting it.

Also how powerful will Nintendos next handheld be? Why would Capcom for example make MH5-6 or whatever it will be on by then for the next Nintendo handheld when the Vita (which will possibly be comparable in power) will have a bigger install base.

Vita has sold horribly like the Wii U but the Wii U will not have the continued support or (for want of a better word) 'luck' of the Vita.

In short, Vita will outsell and outlast Wii U, but going back to the OP... I'm very unsure if Sony will ever release another handheld, at least a dedicated one.

Vita is getting Revelations 2 because Sony themselves is publishing it. It would not have been made if it was up to Capcom. Just like Ultra SF4 for the PS4.

torok said:
jetforcejiminy said:

the vita is getting "revelaitons" 2 because it's easy as hell to port to vita from ps3/4. and by easy as hell i mean fool-proof. you too could create your own vita port!

as for the vita sticking around, that's how the psp got to 80m, but the thing is the psp at least had support. a resident evil port and a bunch of jrpgs and dating sims will not help the vita sell. and lo and behold, the vita has not sold. 2m in 2014 (mostly in japan), much fewer than in 2013, and likely much fewer to come in 2015. vita'll be lucky to get to 12-13m without sony pulling the plug on it completely. freedom wars will probably be the last high-profile release, and that wasn't even that high-profile... as for the wii u comparison, there is no comparison. the wii u is getting the lion's share of nintendo's attention whereas vita is getting indie games and jrpgs. wii u will easily pass the vita in mid-2015. and the wii u will be around until 2017-18--no nintendo platform has ever been supported for fewer than 5-6 years except for the virtual boy, and the wii u is not doing virtual boy numbers (the vita's much, much closer to that).

btw, no namecalling: i am a happy vita owner. it's great for playing psone classics and psp games. and tearaway.

Yes, because selling 9M units is close to selling 0.5M. Right now, the Wii U woould be closer to 0.5M than the Vita.

i was exaggerating to demonstrate how the comparison between the wii u and vita was itself an exaggeration... will remember the sarcasm tag next time. the wii u is selling 3.6m+ compared to barely 2m. if you believe it will not pass the vita in 2015 as the vita further slows down with zero first party support, then you're living in some parallel universe with different mathematical laws.

It would be very stupid of them to create another handheld after Vita.

jetforcejiminy said:
retroking1981 said:
Because of these reasons it will also slowly start geiing more support, look at RE Revelations 2. The 3DS has been a huge success but for numerous reasons the Vita which is selling horribly is getting it.

the vita is getting "revelaitons" 2 because it's easy as hell to port to vita from ps3/4. and by easy as hell i mean fool-proof. you too could create your own vita port!

as for the vita sticking around, that's how the psp got to 80m, but the thing is the psp at least had support. a resident evil port and a bunch of jrpgs and dating sims will not help the vita sell. and lo and behold, the vita has not sold. 2m in 2014 (mostly in japan), much less than in 2013, and likely much less to come in 2015. vita'll be lucky to get to 12-13m without sony pulling the plug on it completely. freedom wars will probably be the last high-profile release, and that wasn't even that high-profile... as for the wii u comparison, there is no comparison. the wii u is getting the lion's share of nintendo's attention whereas vita is getting indie games and jrpgs. please, try harder. wii u will easily pass the vita in mid-2015. and the wii u will be around until 2018--no nintendo platform has ever been supported for less than 5-6 years except for the virtual boy, and the wii u is not doing virtual boy numbers (the vita's much, much closer to that).

Your probably right. Tbh I'm a bit bitter at the lack of RE on Wii U.

I mean, where's the Wii U port of Revelations 2? Fair enough it might be harder to port but it can't really be hard? They did it with the first and don't get me started on REmake. How can the Wii U not get these games? It can't be the sales excuse as its outselling Vita.

I don't get it tbh and its not as though it hasn't happened with other games, but they make sense. SFV, MH4 and Dead Rising 3 being good recent examples but with RE there's obviously not contract or agreement between developer and HW manufacture. I find it odd.

Anyway if it is that easy to port to Vita then maybe it'll get more games because of that? Success breeds success, I could just imagine Vita trickling along more than some expect.

Regarding bolded, this is historically true but that doesn't mean its a guarantee with the Wii U. It might not be a Virtual Boy but at the moment it can only dream of being a GCN. Recent software has shown that nothing is creating a big enough jump with a real lasting effect. If MK, SSB, SM3DW have all failed how do people expect Splatoon or Zelda to do anything going forward.

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:
retroking1981 said:

Really not sure but like a few others have mentioned the Vita isn't going anywhere.

Its very powerful and I could imagine it staying around so long that it's sales will end up being respectful, and because of being around so long will probably end up profitable.

Because of these reasons it will also slowly start getting more support, look at RE Revelations 2. The 3DS has been a success but for numerous reasons the Vita which is selling horribly is getting it.

Also how powerful will Nintendos next handheld be? Why would Capcom for example make MH5-6 or whatever it will be on by then for the next Nintendo handheld when the Vita (which will possibly be comparable in power) will have a bigger install base.

Vita has sold horribly like the Wii U but the Wii U will not have the continued support or (for want of a better word) 'luck' of the Vita.

In short, Vita will outsell and outlast Wii U, but going back to the OP... I'm very unsure if Sony will ever release another handheld, at least a dedicated one.

Vita is getting Revelations 2 because Sony themselves is publishing it. It would not have been made if it was up to Capcom. Just like Ultra SF4 for the PS4.

Its on XBox One and 360 though.

Another week, another month, another year, another inevitable "WHY?!" thread about the Vita
Reasons like always:

- no mass appeal
- missing games that legitimate buying it
- laughable proprietary memory solution: even Nintendo supports sd-cards
- tech overtook it faster than Sony thought: tablets and phones outdo the Vita now easily

Even as a peripheral for PS4 it doesn't sell. Sony shouldn't make another handheld. But if they do, they should look why Nintendo is successful and they are not.

jetforcejiminy said:

btw, no namecalling: i am a happy vita owner. it's great for playing psone classics and psp games. and tearaway.

I own a Vita and Wii U. I like both, no hate from me.

jetforcejiminy said:

i was exaggerating to demonstrate how the comparison between the wii u and vita was itself an exaggeration... will remember the sarcasm tag next time. the wii u is selling 3.6m+ compared to barely 2m. if you believe it will not pass the vita in 2015 as the vita further slows down with zero first party support, then you're living in some parallel universe with different mathematical laws.

I didn't claim it won't outsell it. But it's likely that Vita has more legs since PSP had more legs than the Wii even launching 2 years earlier. Wii U sold 3.6M because it got MK and SSB in a single years, shots fired. Now they are out of ammo. Their best release in sales next years will be Zelda and it's a much smaller shot than SSB and MK.

Sony support isn't being stellar, but they are getting some games to the machine. Resogun came last month and they wer probably had direct responsability in the Grim Fandango and RE: Revelations 2 situation.

What they have to do if they decide to make another handheld is to provide a fix for a dying market. Not even 3DS is receiving a stellar 3rd party support. Softhouses are out of the handheld business. Someone needs to fix this situation, Ninty or Sony.

I doubt it with all the streaming happening.