By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PS3 was a beast!!!!

2008ProchargedGT said:
pbroy said:
It was an RPG beast.

Was it? I love RPGs and never seemed to find any on the PS3. Could you give me like a top five list so I can look into them?

Don't know if these are the best but PS3 had a lot of both WRPGs and JRPGs.

Ascaron: Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Atlus Persona Team: Persona 4 + 5
Bethesda Game Studios: Fallout 3 + The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion + Skyrim
Big Huge Games: Kingdoms of Amalur
Bioware: Mass Effect + Dragon Age
Blizzard: Diablo
Capcom: Dragon’s Dogma + Monster Hunter
Cavia: Nier
Crypton Future Media: Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA
Eidos Montreal: Deus Ex
Firaxis Games: XCOM: Enemy Unknown
From Software: Enchanted Arms + Demon's Souls + Dark Souls
Game Republic: Folklore
Gearbox Software: Borderlands
Gust: Atelier + Ar tonelico + Trinity Universe
Hijinx Studios: Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgment
Idea Factory: Mugen Souls + Neptunia + Cross Edge + Agarest
Level-5: Ni no Kuni + White Knight Chronicles
Monolith Productions: Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor
Namco Tales Studio: Tales of Symphonia + Vesperia + Graces f + Xilia + Xilia 2 + Zestiria
Neverland: Rune Factory
Nippon Ichi Software: Disgaea + The Witch and the Hundred Knight
Obsidian Entertainment: Fallout: New Vegas + Alpha Protocol + Dungeon Siege 3 + South Park: The Stick of Truth
Omega Force: Trinity: Souls of Zill O’ll
Reality Pump: Two Worlds II
Sega: Valkyria Chronicles
Silicon Studio: 3D Dot Game Heroes
Spiders: Bound by Flame
Square Enix: Final Fantasy + Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5
Techland: Dead Island + Dying Light
tri-Ace: Resonance of Fate + Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Tri-Crescendo: Eternal Sonata
Ubisoft Montreal: Child of Light
WaterMelon: Pier Solar and the Great Architects

Around the Network

NNID: MagicalLight

FC: 4124 - 5888 - 4804

A lot of gamers, especially younger gamers who might have been kids in 2005/2006 seem to forget that PS3 and Xbox 360 were real powerhouses when they were released. Most of us didn't realize it at the time, especially since it took time for the developers to take advantage of those consoles but Sony and Microsoft took the hardware race to a level so extreme that both of them lost billions of dollars from it in the beginning. Maybe they were too far. This is why after a decade we're still getting decent ports of next gen games. 8th gen hardware took a completely different approach. 8th gen hardware is easier for developers to work with and less expensive for consumers but unlike last gen, developers are already running into limitations with these new machines.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Gilgamesh said:
2008ProchargedGT said:

So I was trying out the 7 day trial of PSNow and replaying some PS3 games. I just cant believe some of these titles ran on a system with only 512mb of ram. God of War A: is probably the best looking PS3 game ive seen I could have mistaken it for a current gen game... no BS. 

The 512 MB RAM was split between the OS and the game, so it only had 256 MB of ram for games and the other 256 MB RAM for the OS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I belive 256 MB is all they had, the CELL really was a godsend once they finally figured out how the use the complicated thing.

Edit: Like the PS4 only has 5 GB of it's ram for games, and 3 GB for the OS.

Last time I checked the RAM on the PS4 is unified? it also has an extra 256mb DDR3 for small background tasks.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Chris Hu said:
pbroy said:
It was an RPG beast.

ARPG for sure but they had nothing turn based that came even close to Lost Odyssey

Mistwalker really made some great JRPGs for Xbox 360 but PS3 do have great turn based JRPGs as well.. Eternal Sonata, Disgaea 3+4, Final Fantasy X, Resonance of Fate, Tales of Graces f (kinda turn based), Valkyria Chronicles (strategy) and Persona 5 (not out yet) are all great turn based JRPGs.

Around the Network
Mike_L said:
Chris Hu said:
pbroy said:
It was an RPG beast.

ARPG for sure but they had nothing turn based that came even close to Lost Odyssey

Mistwalker really made some great JRPGs for Xbox 360 but PS3 do have great turn based JRPGs as well.. Eternal Sonata, Disgaea 3+4, Final Fantasy X, Resonance of Fate, Tales of Graces f (kinda turn based), Valkyria Chronicles (strategy) and Persona 5 (not out yet) are all great turn based JRPGs.

Eternal Sonata isn't turned based and I would know since I actually got all the achievements for the game and would have double dipped on the PS3 version if it would have had trophies its a ARPG.  The Disgaea games also can't be compared to Lost Odyssey since the are tactical RPG's and LO is a pure turn based JRPG.  None of the Tales games are really turn based they are pure ARPG's.  Final Fantasy X is just a slightly enhanced port of the PS2 version and Resonance of Fate is also available on the 360.

Yes gotta give credit where it's due - some exclusives that I played looked impressive. Multiplats was a different story unfortunately. I will never forget those loading times in Mass Effect 2. I'm glad they chose a different path for the 3rd game - made it less eye candy but with short loading times.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

LO was a great JRPG for sure but it doesn't come close to the turn based FFX/X2 Remaster.

If "pure" turn based JRPG's is what one is looking for, don't forget PS3 also has a plethora on PS1 classics and some PS2 classics for JRPG's as well. The PS3 really was the RPG king of home consoles last gen.

Do remember that the PS3's CPU has more horsepower than the PS4's.

Blood_Tears said:
LO was a great JRPG for sure but it doesn't come close to the turn based FFX/X2 Remaster.

If "pure" turn based JRPG's is what one is looking for, don't forget PS3 also has a plethora on PS1 classics and some PS2 classics for JRPG's as well. The PS3 really was the RPG king of home consoles last gen.

Nope, neither FFX or X2 come even close in overall quality to LO.