By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What can Nintendo add to the 3DS' successor?

spemanig said:
Everyone had too much imagination. It'll be the N3DS, in HD. Maybe a second circle pad instead of a c-stick. That's it. No "free form" screen. No single screen. No "Vita TV" like console to connect to. No throwing away of BC for DS and 3DS after spending over a decade cultivating a playable library for them, much which has been made digital.

Just a dual screen handheld, with an HD, still 3D capable, top screen, dual analog, bumpers and triggers, and significantly more power than the Vita, but a little weaker than the Wii U. It's selling point will not be a new hardware gimmick. It will be a firmware gimmick; the unified platform. Same library on two consoles. That's it.

The console then basically is a "Vita TV" if it shares the same library (probably a very similar chipset too). Just basically how you define it I guess. 

I think two screens is actually more expensive today than having one single touch panel too (even at a larger size) because those are more heavily mass produced. 

I think they will re-release DS and 3DS games to support a single screen and will make a nice mint that way. Backwards compatibility doesn't really make Nintendo money, charging you again to play 5-10 year old games sure does though. 

I think 3D will be out too. Too expensive, never really has caught on with the general public so much so that they released a 2DS in the West. 

I think it basically will look like the Wii U tablet ... just not as bulky/clunky/fat with smaller analog nubs. Basically this, just without the 3D Mario:

Around the Network

4DS is the next logical step. Time travel included.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

I always ask myself what innovative feature Nintendo could possibly add to the next handheld and they always surprise me. They will probably add something unexpected besides a HD screen. It will get criticized and then it will turn out to be awesome :)

Soundwave said:
spemanig said:
Everyone had too much imagination. It'll be the N3DS, in HD. Maybe a second circle pad instead of a c-stick. That's it. No "free form" screen. No single screen. No "Vita TV" like console to connect to. No throwing away of BC for DS and 3DS after spending over a decade cultivating a playable library for them, much which has been made digital.

Just a dual screen handheld, with an HD, still 3D capable, top screen, dual analog, bumpers and triggers, and significantly more power than the Vita, but a little weaker than the Wii U. It's selling point will not be a new hardware gimmick. It will be a firmware gimmick; the unified platform. Same library on two consoles. That's it.

The console then basically is a "Vita TV" if it shares the same library (probably a very similar chipset too). Just basically how you define it I guess. 

I think two screens is actually more expensive today than having one single touch panel too (even at a larger size) because those are more heavily mass produced. 

I think they will re-release DS and 3DS games to support a single screen and will make a nice mint that way. Backwards compatibility doesn't really make Nintendo money, charging you again to play 5-10 year old games sure does though. 

I think 3D will be out too. Too expensive, never really has caught on with the general public so much so that they released a 2DS in the West. 

I think it basically will look like the Wii U tablet ... just not as bulky/clunky/fat with smaller analog nubs. Basically this, just without the 3D Mario:

This is similar to something I've said before:

The design could be similar to the gamepad, giving ergonomics to both the d-pad/buttons and the thumbsticks (priority to the d-pad). If they go dual screen, main screen can be shifted upwards to reveal a hidden lower one and can continue to fold itself in a clamshell design.

Screens should only be 1080p (knowing Nintendo they'd go with 720p), and the system powerful enough to share universal software with the console (WiiU?).

They should pursue strengthening digital sales, so previous linked NNID collections should compatible with the new console.

But now I think that the dual screen set-up I had is too expensive, maybe having a mechanism that just turns 90deg the wide-touchscreen or the controls, then you can have space for dual screens. Nintendo also played with this in WiiU's DS VC.

I like that vibrating stylus
Should be coupled with similar touchscreen-stylus as those used in the Galaxy Note, pressure sensitivity included.

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

Ninten78 said:

I was wondering what can Nintendo add to the 3DS' successor cause I can only think of HD screen,2nd proper circle pad and rumble (hey the latter one is my idea) A haptic touchscreen would be cool.http://www.tomshardware.com/news/feedback-tactile-heptic-touch-fujitsu,26244.html

What do you think they will add to it?

HW manufacturers have been promising it for years, but never fulfilled.
That innovative interface that innovates innovating with innovation.

SMELLY INTERFACE.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Don't lock the region, and I'll be happy.

As for power: in some ways it will be better than a Wii U, in some ways worse. Nintendo's handhelds always seem to fit that format when compared to the generation they're similar to.

Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Grr, something tells me it won't be HD just cause its Nintendo. Like, I have my doubts that they will choose a 720p res and not something lower but if they do choose 720p, it will be fap worthy

Neogaf did have some interesting designs though

Hey! Those guys stole my idea! 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=195225&page=5

I want my check now :P

They did a good job though.

Make it into a vita with a bit better power to achieve x360/ps3 graphics.

I don't care what it is as long as it's a DS. DDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Hopes:
Better eShop
Better miiverse
NFC built in already
HD
online video sharing
PHONE CALLS

I dunno....