By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What can Nintendo add to the 3DS' successor?

Up the Pixel count and boost the processing power so it's capable of running decent attempts at Wii U software and I'll be a happy chappy.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

Imo they have 2 options. They could make handled/tablet with swappable tablet like this.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20140121023.pdf (page 11)

Or they could make a very plain and simple Gameboy HD, similar to this.

http://gamingforce.us/gfpics/1DS.png

I'm eager to see what they'll come up with, specially with all the Fusion talk.

Plus nVidia already having 512 GFLOPS SoC (Tegra X1), Apple will have something similar by the end of the year too.

Given that Shield Tablet (K1) is only $300 with 8 inch 1200p touchscreen, if they want to, by the end of 2016 , they can easily have around WiiU power in handheld.

Honestly, I see the next portable successor essentially being compatible with their next home console, to replicate the DS/3DS/Wii U+Game Pad experience on some of the older titles that require it.

While I personally would prefer continuing the fold-able clam design of the DS line and the GBA SP, I also realize that may not be the case due to a number of factors including the style choice of the masses.

4D, duh!

Around the Network
freebs2 said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Grr, something tells me it won't be HD just cause its Nintendo. Like, I have my doubts that they will choose a 720p res and not something lower but if they do choose 720p, it will be fap worthy

Neogaf did have some interesting designs though

Hey! Those guys stole my idea! 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=195225&page=5

I want my check now :P

They did a good job though.

My issue with this design is while it looks good in a static photo, in a moving game in actual use there are a lot of practicality issues. 

How would you play a game like Smash Brothers where there is action all over the screen if the left side and the right side of the playing field are obscured by your hands? Even a split second a character being blocked/obscured by your hand can lead to a lot of frustration. 

Even in a Mario Kart game, what happens if a kart is coming up on you from the right side or a hole in the track is sitting there? You could go flying into it simply because you didn't see it. 

Ditto for a Zelda game ... you can't have a boss that moves rapidly right to left for example because it could easily get obscured by ones hand. 

I dunno. Maybe Nintendo is crazy enough or desperate enough for a gimmick to do something like this, but it doesn't seem very practical to me. Look at these mockups, now put your hands on them to simulate the playing position ... it's pretty easy to see how this set up would become annoying after 2-3 minutes of play even. 

Qwark said:
spemanig said:
Everyone had too much imagination. It'll be the N3DS, in HD. Maybe a second circle pad instead of a c-stick. That's it. No "free form" screen. No single screen. No "Vita TV" like console to connect to. No throwing away of BC for DS and 3DS after spending over a decade cultivating a playable library for them, much which has been made digital.

Just a dual screen handheld, with an HD, still 3D capable, top screen, dual analog, bumpers and triggers, and significantly more power than the Vita, but a little weaker than the Wii U. It's selling point will not be a new hardware gimmick. It will be a firmware gimmick; the unified platform. Same library on two consoles. That's it.

That would be Nintendo's most expensive handheld yet, so I would say a little bit more powerful than the Vita, since that thing is already a gen ahead in power compared to the 3DS, shame it has no games.

By 2016 ?    I don't think so.

I'm not even sure if Vita is that expensive to make right now.  Specially after the screen change from Oled to LCD.

i really hope that they presrve the 3d effect

Soundwave said:
freebs2 said:
Jizz_Beard_thePirate said:

Grr, something tells me it won't be HD just cause its Nintendo. Like, I have my doubts that they will choose a 720p res and not something lower but if they do choose 720p, it will be fap worthy

Neogaf did have some interesting designs though

Hey! Those guys stole my idea! 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=195225&page=5

I want my check now :P

They did a good job though.

My issue with this design is while it looks good in a static photo, in a moving game in actual use there are a lot of practicality issues. 

How would you play a game like Smash Brothers where there is action all over the screen if the left side and the right side of the playing field are obscured by your hands? Even a split second a character being blocked/obscured by your hand can lead to a lot of frustration. 

Even in a Mario Kart game, what happens if a kart is coming up on you from the right side or a hole in the track is sitting there? You could go flying into it simply because you didn't see it. 

Ditto for a Zelda game ... you can't have a boss that moves rapidly right to left for example because it could easily get obscured by ones hand. 

I dunno. Maybe Nintendo is crazy enough or desperate enough for a gimmick to do something like this, but it doesn't seem very practical to me. Look at these mockups, now put your hands on them to simulate the playing position ... it's pretty easy to see how this set up would become annoying after 2-3 minutes of play even. 

To be honest my main concern with this possible solution it's price, since we don't know how much those sharp screens are expansive.

I perfectly understand you point though, but the solution could simply come form game design. At the moment we are accostumed with 16:9 screens. As the second image from Neogaf shows, game developers should cut-off a 16:9 safe zone on the screen center whre you should have all the "normal" action, and then add additional space on top/bottom and on sides for info, virtual buttons and stats. It's quite difficult to expalin on words but you shouldn't imagine the "standard" came view stretched on all the console surface but you'll rather have wider view angle (a panoramic view) where you have all the usual stuff in the center.

I don't know if I've expaned myself...

zumnupy10 said:
Qwark said:
spemanig said:
Everyone had too much imagination. It'll be the N3DS, in HD. Maybe a second circle pad instead of a c-stick. That's it. No "free form" screen. No single screen. No "Vita TV" like console to connect to. No throwing away of BC for DS and 3DS after spending over a decade cultivating a playable library for them, much which has been made digital.

Just a dual screen handheld, with an HD, still 3D capable, top screen, dual analog, bumpers and triggers, and significantly more power than the Vita, but a little weaker than the Wii U. It's selling point will not be a new hardware gimmick. It will be a firmware gimmick; the unified platform. Same library on two consoles. That's it.

That would be Nintendo's most expensive handheld yet, so I would say a little bit more powerful than the Vita, since that thing is already a gen ahead in power compared to the 3DS, shame it has no games.

By 2016 ?    I don't think so.

I'm not even sure if Vita is that expensive to make right now.  Specially after the screen change from Oled to LCD.

Vita is nothing special. It's an iPad 3 chipset basically ... ancient by today's standards. Let alone 2016.