By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bayonetta 2 sold less than 135K in the US

Conegamer said:
Well this is no major surprise. It's just a little sad really that such a great game won't sell very well.

It is a shame. Bayonetta 2 was a pretty big step up over the first, and that was already a great game. Even if the version i played (PS3) ran like shit :p

As you said though, it's not really surprising. Bayonetta has always been pretty niche, even without the more limited install base.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
This is why third parties who opt to work with Nintendo of their own accord should step back from Nintendo until Nintendo creates a profitable grounds for them while being a third party for Nintendo. Sony and Microsoft have been doing it for years, and Nintendo had in the past. The problem with Nintendo doing that in the past is they had control over third parties back then. Everyone had to do everything their way. I will buy this game when I get my Wii U but Nintendo deserves this.

If PS4 and Xbox One are what happens when thrid parties get their way, and SNES is what happens when they're controlled, I vote that they should be controlled.

What is happening now has more to do with the time than with third parties not being controlled, none of that stuff happened until gen 7.

DerNebel said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
This is why third parties who opt to work with Nintendo of their own accord should step back from Nintendo until Nintendo creates a profitable grounds for them while being a third party for Nintendo. Sony and Microsoft have been doing it for years, and Nintendo had in the past. The problem with Nintendo doing that in the past is they had control over third parties back then. Everyone had to do everything their way. I will buy this game when I get my Wii U but Nintendo deserves this.

If PS4 and Xbox One are what happens when thrid parties get their way, and SNES is what happens when they're controlled, I vote that they should be controlled.

What is happening now has more to do with the time than with third parties not being controlled, none of that stuff happened until gen 7.

Time? How so?

DerNebel said:

And nobody knows why.... They must be really cheap to get, wonder what an average programmer at Platinum makes.

Yeah, I'd really like to see how the economics of their whole set up works. One thing that probably works in their favor at this point is that no publisher really expects a Platinum game to make them a ton of money. It's more of a vanity project that you can count on to be critically well received even if it sells like crap.

It would be really cool if Scalebound turns out to be their Demon's Souls moment. If it can happen to From, it can happen to anyone!

Looks like I won a bet.

Around the Network

The main issue with Bayonetta in general is that it is a game aimed primarily at 12-14 year old boys.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

curl-6 said:

Bayonetta has never sold strongly on any system, including Playstation and Xbox. It is a niche game, it's as simple, (and as tragic) as that.

I blame the sexiness of the game. It turns off a lot more people than it turns on. If only the game had a normal looking/acting character I think it would have more sales.

Hideki Kamiya told all the customers willing to buy it to F*ck off on Twitter….so it looks like they did just that. Tough love, awe well…

Jumpin said:
The main issue with Bayonetta in general is that it is a game aimed primarily at 12-14 year old boys.

So's GTA, COD, and most modern console games for that matter.

Bayonetta's problem is that its style is not palatable to the Western mainstream consumer.

i dont get this npd tracking holy grail thingy, they could be even more of than ioi for some games.
they dont track every sale, they use a lot of math to get from sample numbers to npd numbers.