By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bayonetta 2 sold less than 135K in the US

What the...? Guys, it sold more than 3000,000 in the US. Are you guys stupid?

Around the Network
qwertyDANIELqwerty said:

It can be shipped, not sold.

DerNebel said:
badgenome said:
DerNebel said:

And nobody knows why.... They must be really cheap to get, wonder what an average programmer at Platinum makes.

Yeah, I'd really like to see how the economics of their whole set up works. One thing that probably works in their favor at this point is that no publisher really expects a Platinum game to make them a ton of money. It's more of a vanity project that you can count on to be critically well received even if it sells like crap.

It would be really cool if Scalebound turns out to be their Demon's Souls moment. If it can happen to From, it can happen to anyone!

True, that can happen if MS seriously backs this project then it definitely has the potential to become their biggest franchise.

I highly doubt Scalebound will put up any better umbers than Sunset Overdrive. 

badgenome said:
generic-user-1 said:

that doesnt mean the numbers of npd are better... nobody i taking iois numbers because just he knows how he got the sample, we know the sampling method for npd. but that doesnt mean that they have the right numbers, they dont track all sales, they use math just like ioi(i realy hope he isnt just guessing). if ioi has a better sample his numbers could be better(a bigger sample doesnt mean a better sample, and we know that npd has to use alot of math to get the sample into shape) im still looking for the right thread for this discussion, link?

I wouldn't worry about it. This seems like a perfect thread for this discussion.

I know NPD isn't spot on about everything, but it says a lot that these corporations bother to craft their PR around their numbers. I don't think ioi is just guessing, of course, but software tends to be way overtracked here. And it only gets worse over time because VGC continues to track sales for games that literally cannot be selling any more new copies.

they need some numbers to craft their PR about, and there are not many alternatives to npd. VGC cant be used because they dont know about the sampling. i dont see why everybody is thinking npd numbers are facts, its just a sample and some math, just like ioi is getting his numbers(i hope). it all boils down to who has the better sample to beginn with, there the problems start, npd uses a to huge sample. they get errors they cant fix with math because of this, and we dnt know at all about the sample on the vgc side.

curl-6 said:
pokoko said:

As for a return to Nintendo's former tactics, some of which were illegal, no thank you.  Threatening developers in order to keep them from making games for other systems is horrible, not to mention forcing them to surrender manufacturing rights in order to control production and protect their own games.

Again, if the 8th gen is indicative of what a market ruled by third parties look like, I can scarcely remember a less interesting time to be a gamer.

We're just going to have to disagree there, then.  The SNES era was my least favorite in gaming.  SO many clones and SO many bad movie and TV tie-in games.  Probably more trash games released during the SNES era than any other except the Atari era.  That it was completely dominated by only a few genres certainly didn't help, either.  

Around the Network
pokoko said:
curl-6 said:
pokoko said:

As for a return to Nintendo's former tactics, some of which were illegal, no thank you.  Threatening developers in order to keep them from making games for other systems is horrible, not to mention forcing them to surrender manufacturing rights in order to control production and protect their own games.

Again, if the 8th gen is indicative of what a market ruled by third parties look like, I can scarcely remember a less interesting time to be a gamer.

We're just going to have to disagree there, then.  The SNES era was my least favorite in gaming.  SO many clones and SO many bad movie and TV tie-in games.  Probably more trash games released during the SNES era than any other except the Atari era.  That it was completely dominated by only a few genres certainly didn't help, either.  

I dunno man, the NES era had a hell of a lot of duds, haha. 

But yeah, agree to disagree. :)

VG Chartz says it sold 330k in the Americas

Can Latin America be responsible for 200k copies of Bayonetta 2? I think it´s very unlikely

Obs.: Where exactly Nintendo said that Bayonetta 2 sold 135k in the U.S.? On that NeoGAf thread there´s not even any mention of it on the articles.: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=972713

S.T.A.G.E. said:
This is why third parties who opt to work with Nintendo of their own accord should step back from Nintendo until Nintendo creates a profitable grounds for them while being a third party for Nintendo. Sony and Microsoft have been doing it for years, and Nintendo had in the past. The problem with Nintendo doing that in the past is they had control over third parties back then. Everyone had to do everything their way. I will buy this game when I get my Wii U but Nintendo deserves this.

I get where your coming from here but I don't think Nintendo deserve it.

Nintendo was right to get Bayonetta. They was right to get an exclusive Lego game. They was right to get an exclusive core game from Ubisoft in ZombiU.

Lego games are huge and think about Ubisoft. One of the bigger 3rd party developers actually made an exclusive for Nintendo. When was the last time that happened for MS/Sony? Nintendo really pushed it to, with day one bundles etc.

Bayonetta was a critical success last gen. The sequel hasn't sold well because that fanbase didn't exist on Wii U. Point is Nintendo were trying to cater to the core audience, if all those people got a Wii U instead of moaning that it wasn't on their console of choice then other 3rd parties may have looked at the Wii U and thought it was worth developing for. Success breeds success.

I know its a completely different scale but when Final Fantasy went form Nintendo to Sony no one cared less. They just got FFVII on PS and helped that console go on to be the huge success it was.

I wonder what fate awaits Street Fighter V.

Don't get me wrong Nintendo have done A LOT wrong with the Wii U but the 3 games I've mentioned above (B2, LCU & ZombiU) are good examples of them getting good exclusives that deserved to increase the userbase of the U and diversify the SW library much more than they did.

qwertyDANIELqwerty said:

Yep. That seems to be just a random guess by a random NeoGaf user.

So there´s no proof at all of Bayo2 being overtracked?