By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bayonetta 2 sold less than 135K in the US

curl-6 said:
Jumpin said:

I would say that COD and GTA aim at a far wider demograph than just the prepubescant crowd. It's not going to be incredibly embarassing to buy those games like it is to buy a game like Bayonetta.

Of couse they AIM at a wider demographics; its sales would not be possible if it didn't. But the prepubscent crowd is the primary buyer; the kids who still think it's "cool" to murder civilians, take drugs, and rob banks.

GTA and COD don't aim for a wider demographic. The game is purely adult. Kids just want what they shouldn't be playing pending the adults allowing it or the kids finding alternative sources to play the game. Its as simple as that. They all aim at the same consumer base which is adults; however, mature games are still segmented by popularity of genre. Bayonetta is the least of the three, but GTA is a another beast in itself for the TPS genre. 

Around the Network
jlmurph2 said:
Kerotan said:

Oooops! bayo 1 did 200k in the us on the 360 after 18 months. it did 150k on the ps3 in that same time. a year from now. 135k after three months isn't that badhttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=147695672&postcount=1936

If this was ps4. Or xbox exclusive who's to say it wouldn't have sold more. Look at sunset overdrive sales. And I know what the previous games sold. 

And thats a new IP from a developer that people weren't confident in anymore. Bayonetta 2's a sequel from a dev who's main team always makes great games. Wii U and 3rd party just doesn't go together.

Exactly and with stellar reviews it would probably have done better on either ps4 or xbox and much better if on both.  this game, watchdogs and sonic really not selling the Wii U to 3rd parties. 

Conina said:
curl-6 said:
Angelv577 said:

If I'm not mistaken, the ps3 version was a late port and didn't run as well as the others so it could have sold much better and yes I'm using the same argument used for third parties games on Wii U and I disagree bayo 2 selling close at least to ps3 version considering it's overtracked in US, there's no way reaching near ps3 without expanding greatly its userbase.

What's Xbox's excuse then?

Much stronger competition on that platform when Bayonetta 1 was released on the Xbox360? With its release in the first week of January 2010 it missed the whole christmas sales but still had to compete with all the other AAA-games released in Q4/2009 and Q1/2010:

CoD: Modern Warfare 2, Forza 3, Assassin's Creed 2, Left 4 Dead 2, GTA IV Episodes / GOTY Edition, Dragon Age Origins, Borderlands, Brutal Legend, Tekken 6, Halo: ODST, Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, Splinter Cell: Conviction, BioShock 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Darksiders, Drgon Age: Awakening, Final Fantasy XII, Just Cause 2, Metro 2033 ...

360-owners who wanted a fast-paced action game with nice graphics in that time frame had more than enough choice... and new IPs like Bayonetta, Darksiders, Brutal Legend and Borderlands had very stiff competition.

So which competitors had Bayonetta 2 on the WiiU in the last and following months? Super Smash Bros., Hyrule Warriors and a half-year-old Mario Kart 8... that's it!

Smash Bros and MK8 alone were as strong competition as anything on 360 within Bayo 1's timeframe.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
Jumpin said:

I would say that COD and GTA aim at a far wider demograph than just the prepubescant crowd. It's not going to be incredibly embarassing to buy those games like it is to buy a game like Bayonetta.

Of couse they AIM at a wider demographics; its sales would not be possible if it didn't. But the prepubscent crowd is the primary buyer; the kids who still think it's "cool" to murder civilians, take drugs, and rob banks.

GTA and COD don't aim for a wider demographic. The game is purely adult. Kids just want what they shouldn't be playing pending the adults allowing it or the kids finding alternative sources to play the game. Its as simple as that. They all aim at the same consumer base which is adults; however, mature games are still segmented by popularity of genre. Bayonetta is the least of the three, but GTA is a another beast in itself for the TPS genre. 

But kids are a huge segment of the end user base. GTA is everything the average Western 12-year-old male thinks is cool.

curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
Jumpin said:

But kids are a huge segment of the end user base. GTA is everything the average Western 12-year-old male thinks is cool.

You clearly don't have any knowledge about the demographics of GTA games.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Conina said:
curl-6 said:
Angelv577 said:

If I'm not mistaken, the ps3 version was a late port and didn't run as well as the others so it could have sold much better and yes I'm using the same argument used for third parties games on Wii U and I disagree bayo 2 selling close at least to ps3 version considering it's overtracked in US, there's no way reaching near ps3 without expanding greatly its userbase.

What's Xbox's excuse then?

Much stronger competition on that platform when Bayonetta 1 was released on the Xbox360? With its release in the first week of January 2010 it missed the whole christmas sales but still had to compete with all the other AAA-games released in Q4/2009 and Q1/2010:

CoD: Modern Warfare 2, Forza 3, Assassin's Creed 2, Left 4 Dead 2, GTA IV Episodes / GOTY Edition, Dragon Age Origins, Borderlands, Brutal Legend, Tekken 6, Halo: ODST, Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, Splinter Cell: Conviction, BioShock 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Darksiders, Drgon Age: Awakening, Final Fantasy XII, Just Cause 2, Metro 2033 ...

360-owners who wanted a fast-paced action game with nice graphics in that time frame had more than enough choice... and new IPs like Bayonetta, Darksiders, Brutal Legend and Borderlands had very stiff competition.

So which competitors had Bayonetta 2 on the WiiU in the last and following months? Super Smash Bros., Hyrule Warriors and a half-year-old Mario Kart 8... that's it!

Smash Bros and MK8 alone were as strong competition as anything on 360 within Bayo 1's timeframe.

Overestimating them too much aren't we? They alone aren't as strong as that 360 lineup which he pointed out. On the PS3, it had even more direct competition in the form of God Of War III so it stood no chance.

curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

Exactly. In the 90's a lot of kids wanted to play Duke Nukem, but couldn't get their hands on it. The games aren't aimed towards them though. In the end its up to the parents. Goes it show that parents were more strict back then opposed to today.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

LOL...ignorance? Try four months, not two (five if you're in Japan).  The game launched on the 24th of Oct if you live outside of Japan. I'm sure Ubisoft wouldn't disagree with me (after supporting that platform more than any other big publisher). No offense, but Nintendo defenders tend not to see the reality of the situation at large. Nintendo has had a third party issue for nearly twenty years and even longer if you count how they dealt with them while they were exclusive to them for the NES/SNES eras. 

Here is where I point out your own ignorance to history. The first Bayonetta sold over two million copies between the Xbox 360 and the PS3 and Sega STILL decided that two million in sales wasnt profitable enough of a reason to continue the franchise. Bayonetta 2 was obviously more intensive and financially demanding to develop for thw Wii U and Platinum once again developed a brilliant game. 

This means Nintendo bit the bullet, so literally they will have to outsell both last gen PS3 and Xbox 360 versions in order to be profitable for Nintendo LTD. I rest my case. Nintendo knew the game wouldn't sell. They took the hit for the good of their library....and you and I both know it if we pay attention to history. 

1. I never had any issue buying third party games that I wanted on the gamecube. Nintendos problem with third party is that they make it too difficult for them to do easy ports due to either cartiridges or lack of power.

2. I dont think 2 cost as much as one. It has a lot of reused assets.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
curl-6 said:

Exactly. In the 90's a lot of kids wanted to play Duke Nukem, but couldn't get their hands on it. The games aren't aimed towards them though. In the end its up to the parents. Goes it show that parents were more strict back then opposed to today.

Dude, GTA sure but COD is very aware of its appeal to small kids and is also very much trying to market itself to that demographic.

There are even toy sets for COD

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mega-Bloks-Light-Armor-Firebase/dp/B00F9VP9ME

DerNebel said:

Dude, GTA sure but COD is very aware of its appeal to small kids and is also very much trying to market itself to that demographic.

There are even toy sets for COD

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mega-Bloks-Light-Armor-Firebase/dp/B00F9VP9ME

Thats a deal that the Mega Bloks made with them to be associated with the hype, but look up any COD game on the ESRB list. The actual games themselves are mature rated. MW2 itself was on the news for having scenes of airport terrorism being displayed. Kids don't care though...they will play it regardless. The companies cannot stop kids from playing it. Its something only their parents can stop. Bayonetta features a gorey hack n slash  with partial nudity and and is sexually suggestive.