By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bayonetta 2 sold less than 135K in the US

What also should be considering is that this game will have legs. With Steam os on horizon I just don't see much relevance in Nintendo being yet a 4th console which caters to the cross platform games. They just need to continue building up the exclusive content.  They are already profitable with this strategy and this strategy will only do better in time as more and more people realise the amount of quality exclusives Nintendo is producing. They don't need cross platform.

Around the Network

At least it's doing better than The Wonderful 101

English is not my native language

Ashitaka92 said:

And Ninja Gaiden 3...  It's probably the best selling game in it's genre that we've seen in a while.

bowserthedog said:
Ashitaka92 said:

And Ninja Gaiden 3...  It's probably the best selling game in it's genre that we've seen in a while.

Metal gear rising passed 1.5 million according Vgc but the Metal gear name helped it, I think

English is not my native language

Ashitaka92 said:
bowserthedog said:
Ashitaka92 said:

Metal gear rising passed 1.5 million according Vgc but the Metal gear name helped it, I think

Yeah but it only sold 400k on xbox 360.  Wiiu seems to be a better platform for japanese action games to sell that xbox.

Around the Network
bowserthedog said:

Not sure I get the criticism.  I mean there were zero publishers willing to fund and publish the game on sony or microsoft's consoles. It's a niche title and is doing reasonably well and this game will have legs and most certainly will sell over a million lifetime. 

It means third party developers thrive with first party console makers who endorse profitability to gamers with a spread of tastes. As it where Nintendo has become generally a secondary console for gamers like that because the majority of games are always somewhere else no matter how you slice it. It is not doing reasonably well. Not at all. The first game was multiplat and sold multiples of what it the Wii U version. The Xbox version sold double what the Wii U sold. Nintendo wanted to seem like they were diverse, but truly for a title like this was not profitable on their platform.

As i've said before, third party titles can only see profitability on a Nintendo platform as a whole when more people buy Nintendo platforms for third party as well as third party. That will take years and new marketing for a new Nintendo platform. Nintendo tried this gen but it was too little too late because of politics and Nintendo refusing to made an adequate console when it came to the demands of key third party devs. 

Namiirei said:
daredevil.shark said:

Wii U owners need to buy better game. Very sad news. But I am not surprised by this.

they already do that, Captain toad sold better than bayonetta :)

(yeah, i don't like Kamiya games)

No offense to your love to Captain Toad, but thats pretty sad. Happy for Captain Toad though, but Bayonetta garnered bettered scores than more games did last year.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
bowserthedog said:

Not sure I get the criticism.  I mean there were zero publishers willing to fund and publish the game on sony or microsoft's consoles. It's a niche title and is doing reasonably well and this game will have legs and most certainly will sell over a million lifetime. 

It means third party developers thrive with first party console makers who endorse profitability to gamers with a spread of tastes. As it where Nintendo has become generally a secondary console for gamers like that because the majority of games are always somewhere else no matter how you slice it. It is not doing reasonably well. Not at all. The first game was multiplat and sold multiples of what it the Wii U version. The Xbox version sold double what the Wii U sold. Nintendo wanted to seem like they were diverse, but truly for a title like this was not profitable on their platform.

As i've said before, third party titles can only see profitability on a Nintendo platform as a whole when more people buy Nintendo platforms for third party as well as third party. That will take years and new marketing for a new Nintendo platform. Nintendo tried this gen but it was too little too late because of politics and Nintendo refusing to made an adequate console when it came to the demands of key third party devs. 

I'm sorry but you're comparing lifetime sales to 2 months of sales which = ignorance.

curl-6 said:
Jumpin said:
The main issue with Bayonetta in general is that it is a game aimed primarily at 12-14 year old boys.

So's GTA, COD, and most modern console games for that matter.

Bayonetta's problem is that its style is not palatable to the Western mainstream consumer.

I would say that COD and GTA aim at a far wider demograph than just the prepubescant crowd. It's not going to be incredibly embarassing to buy those games like it is to buy a game like Bayonetta.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

bowserthedog said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I'm sorry but you're comparing lifetime sales to 2 months of sales which = ignorance.

LOL...ignorance? Try four months, not two (five if you're in Japan).  The game launched on the 24th of Oct if you live outside of Japan. I'm sure Ubisoft wouldn't disagree with me (after supporting that platform more than any other big publisher). No offense, but Nintendo defenders tend not to see the reality of the situation at large. Nintendo has had a third party issue for nearly twenty years and even longer if you count how they dealt with them while they were exclusive to them for the NES/SNES eras. 

Here is where I point out your own ignorance to history. The first Bayonetta sold over two million copies between the Xbox 360 and the PS3 and Sega STILL decided that two million in sales wasnt profitable enough of a reason to continue the franchise. Bayonetta 2 was obviously more intensive and financially demanding to develop for thw Wii U and Platinum once again developed a brilliant game. 

This means Nintendo bit the bullet, so literally they will have to outsell both last gen PS3 and Xbox 360 versions in order to be profitable for Nintendo LTD. I rest my case. Nintendo knew the game wouldn't sell. They took the hit for the good of their library....and you and I both know it if we pay attention to history.