By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bayonetta 2 sold less than 135K in the US

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Try four months, not two (five if you're in Japan).  The game launched on the 24th of Oct if you live outside of Japan.

These figures are from NPD. They cut off at the end of December. It's, what, 9 weeks?

I don't know where you would have gotten 4 months from regardless since it hasn't been 3 months yet.

Around the Network
the_dengle said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Try four months, not two (five if you're in Japan).  The game launched on the 24th of Oct if you live outside of Japan.

These figures are from NPD. They cut off at the end of December. It's, what, 9 weeks?

I don't know where you would have gotten 4 months from regardless since it hasn't been 3 months yet.

Four months referring to how long the game has been out. 

I gotta say its heartbreaking that people are trying to decry the sales on a great game. The game has been widely praised and even got over 90 on Metacritic. I get that the sales are a big deal on this site but still. The game is excellent and almost every gamer who has played it has been pleasantly surprised. Destiny got less crap and that game was terrible compared to Bayonetta 2.

bowserthedog said:
Ashitaka92 said:

At least it's doing better than The Wonderful 101

And Ninja Gaiden 3...  It's probably the best selling game in it's genre that we've seen in a while.

God Of War: Ascension sold over 2 million units and is a spinoff game in its series and belongs to the same genre.

Jumpin said:

Jumpin said:
The main issue with Bayonetta in general is that it is a game aimed primarily at 12-14 year old boys.

Bayonetta 2

Platform: Wii U

Rating Category: 

Content Descriptors: Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Partial Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes

Around the Network
bunchanumbers said:
I gotta say its heartbreaking that people are trying to decry the sales on a great game. The game has been widely praised and even got over 90 on Metacritic. I get that the sales are a big deal on this site but still. The game is excellent and almost every gamer who has played it has been pleasantly surprised. Destiny got less crap and that game was terrible compared to Bayonetta 2.

No one is denying the praise of the game. The argument has always been whether the game is profitable on a Nintendo platform. On that note, there is nothing to be heartbroken over outside of the fact that it is not profitable (when exclusive). On another note its existence wasnt about profitabilty to some people who understand Nintendo's alternative reasons for funding the game. It was about increasing the spread of games across the board for lack of third party.

Jumpin said:
curl-6 said:
Jumpin said:
The main issue with Bayonetta in general is that it is a game aimed primarily at 12-14 year old boys.

So's GTA, COD, and most modern console games for that matter.

Bayonetta's problem is that its style is not palatable to the Western mainstream consumer.

I would say that COD and GTA aim at a far wider demograph than just the prepubescant crowd. It's not going to be incredibly embarassing to buy those games like it is to buy a game like Bayonetta.

Of couse they AIM at a wider demographics; its sales would not be possible if it didn't. But the prepubscent crowd is the primary buyer; the kids who still think it's "cool" to murder civilians, take drugs, and rob banks.

tak13 said:
curl-6 said:

Bayonetta has never sold strongly on any system, including Playstation and Xbox. It is a niche game, it's as simple, (and as tragic) as that.

Oooops! bayo 1 did 200k in the us on the 360 after 18 months. it did 150k on the ps3 in that same time. a year from now. 135k after three months isn't that badhttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=147695672&postcount=1936

If this was ps4. Or xbox exclusive who's to say it wouldn't have sold more. Look at sunset overdrive sales. And I know what the previous games sold. 

curl-6 said:
Angelv577 said:

If I'm not mistaken, the ps3 version was a late port and didn't run as well as the others so it could have sold much better and yes I'm using the same argument used for third parties games on Wii U and I disagree bayo 2 selling close at least to ps3 version considering it's overtracked in US, there's no way reaching near ps3 without expanding greatly its userbase.

What's Xbox's excuse then?

Much stronger competition on that platform when Bayonetta 1 was released on the Xbox360? With its release in the first week of January 2010 it missed the whole christmas sales but still had to compete with all the other AAA-games released in Q4/2009 and Q1/2010:

CoD: Modern Warfare 2, Forza 3, Assassin's Creed 2, Left 4 Dead 2, GTA IV Episodes / GOTY Edition, Dragon Age Origins, Borderlands, Brutal Legend, Tekken 6, Halo: ODST, Mass Effect 2, Red Dead Redemption, Splinter Cell: Conviction, BioShock 2, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, Darksiders, Drgon Age: Awakening, Final Fantasy XII, Just Cause 2, Metro 2033 ...

360-owners who wanted a fast-paced action game with nice graphics in that time frame had more than enough choice... and new IPs like Bayonetta, Darksiders, Brutal Legend and Borderlands had very stiff competition.

So which competitors had Bayonetta 2 on the WiiU in the last and following months? Super Smash Bros., Hyrule Warriors and a half-year-old Mario Kart 8... that's it!

Kerotan said:
tak13 said:
curl-6 said:

Bayonetta has never sold strongly on any system, including Playstation and Xbox. It is a niche game, it's as simple, (and as tragic) as that.

Oooops! bayo 1 did 200k in the us on the 360 after 18 months. it did 150k on the ps3 in that same time. a year from now. 135k after three months isn't that badhttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=147695672&postcount=1936

If this was ps4. Or xbox exclusive who's to say it wouldn't have sold more. Look at sunset overdrive sales. And I know what the previous games sold. 

And thats a new IP from a developer that people weren't confident in anymore. Bayonetta 2's a sequel from a dev who's main team always makes great games. Wii U and 3rd party just doesn't go together.