By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bayonetta 2 sold less than 135K in the US

DerNebel said:
Cobretti2 said:
who agrees if this game sold 500K units in US this thread would only be up to 20 posts?

what happened to all those people who don't own a Wii U wanting the game? Guess they didn't want it bad enough to play it.

"What's with all you people not buying a system to play one game?" Hope you realize how silly that sounds.

People aren't buy the wiiu to play one game. This gen so far Wiiu has almost all the great exclusive games. The Wiiu is taking names in the regard. People are in no rush though. The longer they wait the better the wiiu price will be and there will be even more great exclusives so that value proposition keeps going up. I'm expecting year over year growth again for the wiiu both in sales and in profits where the system is already taking names.

Around the Network
Insidb said:
Conegamer said:
Well this is no major surprise. It's just a little sad really that such a great game won't sell very well.

It's always a shame, but it's unfortunately hamstrung by the install base.

To make matters worse, these types of results can hurt both franchise and console viability.

Addressing franchise viability, considering that Sega was abandoning the franchise and neither Sony nor MS were interested, Nintendo was Bayonetta 2's lone chance at existence. That's why I don't understand all the port derangement syndrome over this.

bowserthedog said:
DerNebel said:
Cobretti2 said:
who agrees if this game sold 500K units in US this thread would only be up to 20 posts?

what happened to all those people who don't own a Wii U wanting the game? Guess they didn't want it bad enough to play it.

"What's with all you people not buying a system to play one game?" Hope you realize how silly that sounds.

People aren't buy the wiiu to play one game. This gen so far Wiiu has almost all the great exclusive games. The Wiiu is taking names in the regard. People are in no rush though. The longer they wait the better the wiiu price will be and there will be even more great exclusives so that value proposition keeps going up. I'm expecting year over year growth again for the wiiu both in sales and in profits where the system is already taking names.

You didn't get my post. Also I'd like you to point me to where the Wii U is "taking names in profits".

If I didn't know any better, I'd think that some people wanted this game to fail simply to validate themselves and their opinions. If that's the case, I'm severely disappointed. Every great game deserves great sales.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

bowserthedog said:

When you work directly with the console maker as your publishers you cut out the middle man so you've basically got 30% more money to go around.

How does that work? Has the developer 30% more because the console maker only takes the publishing share and passes on the royalty share?

Or has the console maker 30% more by taking the publishing share AND the royalty share?

bowserthedog said:

And by doing it as a wiiu title rather than ps4 you save a lot of money in development costs. A "AAA" wiiu game needs less sales to be a success than a ps4 "AAA" game.

Or you save the same money in development costs by making a 360 or PS3 game or a PS4/XBO game with smaller scale (comparable to 360/PS3/WiiU-games)... or you split most of the costs by going multi-platform.

Around the Network
SanAndreasX said:
Insidb said:
Conegamer said:
Well this is no major surprise. It's just a little sad really that such a great game won't sell very well.

It's always a shame, but it's unfortunately hamstrung by the install base.

To make matters worse, these types of results can hurt both franchise and console viability.

Addressing franchise viability, considering that Sega was abandoning the franchise and neither Sony nor MS were interested, Nintendo was Bayonetta 2's lone chance at existence. That's why I don't understand all the port derangement syndrome over this.

Yes, but a side-by-side comparison of sales figures just makes it look...bad. I'm commenting on the unfortunate reality of it only being on WiiU.

Insidb said:
SanAndreasX said:

Yes, but a side-by-side comparison of sales figures just makes it look...bad. I'm commenting on the unfortunate reality of it only being on WiiU.

Doesn't nullify the fact that it was either Wii U or the garbage bin, which is what all the people screaming about it not being multiplatform aren't getting through their thick heads. It clearly wasn't profitable for Sega when it was multiplatform. If Nintendo was able to keep expectations reasonable (I'm pretty sure Nintendo wasn't expecting it to be a blockbuster) and manage costs enough to break even on it, which is debatable, it's already far more successful than Bayo 1 in a key aspect and we are far more likely to see a Bayonetta 3.

Insidb said:

...How? Bayo 2 is outpacing the original, even when you combine the PS3 and 360 versions. And that's without considering that the original is said to be very overtracked to begin with.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

DerNebel said:
bowserthedog said:
DerNebel said:
Cobretti2 said:

You didn't get my post. Also I'd like you to point me to where the Wii U is "taking names in profits".

Well.. Nintendo already was back into the profits and then they had an amazing christmas with the wiiu. Games sales way up and amiibo sales were very strong as well. This was during a time period where Microsoft was basically paying consumers to get an xbox one.  There was what a 50 dollar price difference between the wiiu and xbox one despite much more expensive hardware.

SanAndreasX said:
Insidb said:
SanAndreasX said:

Doesn't nullify the fact that it was either Wii U or the garbage bin, which is what all the people screaming about it not being multiplatform aren't getting through their thick heads. It clearly wasn't profitable for Sega when it was multiplatform. If Nintendo was able to keep expectations reasonable (I'm pretty sure Nintendo wasn't expecting it to be a blockbuster) and manage costs enough to break even on it, which is debatable, it's already far more successful than Bayo 1 in a key aspect and we are far more likely to see a Bayonetta 3.

Yes, what's scarier is Street Fighter?! was in the same boat, and that's created deja vu all over again.