By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - It's time to accept that the PS4 won't beat the PS2 numbers

Predict PS4 lifetime sales

80,000,000 or less... 79 17.14%

90,000,000 39 8.46%

100,000,000 94 20.39%

110,000,000 57 12.36%

120,000,000 81 17.57%

130,000,000 21 4.56%

140,000,000 16 3.47%

150,000,000 18 3.90%

160,000,000 10 2.17%

170,000,000 45 9.76%

Total:460

Second and third year typically eat first year sales, and then the slow decline starts. Unless this gen is different from most, the ps4 should easily do over 80 million. Sony will never beat the ps2, it's sold 155,000,000. I think it could do ps sales, but no one ever thought that it would ps2, very few people did.

Around the Network

I don't think anything ever will. PS2 had everything going for it.

Accessible, popular, by far the most games, well known to the general non-gamer public, was an affordable DVD player and no competition to speak off. It even had the luck of a successor that stumbled out of the gate to grant it longer life and relevance. The wind was right in it's sails, it was perfect. The system put up great numbers for it's entire life, having the most extreme legs ever, which lasted 12 years! PS4 has some of these things going for it as well, but not everything, and not in the same capacity. I never thought PS4 would beat it at any time. Also, it beating the PS3 by 2:1 now means little, because the PS3 took a while to get into gear.

The PS3 can't follow up the PS2's success into the new generation, and the same way I think the PS4 can't. Life expectancy of hardware will be shorter again. I'd say PS4 end with a little over 100m, like the Wii and PS1 did.

No way to say for sure either way really.

None know the growth gaming will see world wide on the next few years. None have a clue what Chinese console market might look like in a few years.

PS4 could get a 100 price cut each year till its 99 for all we know. Given early sales dominance, it can. None know or can know if it will.

Its sales at 399 are insane, given that fact none of any intelligence should ever dismiss the chance.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Ryng_Tolu said:
ImmortalHelixFossil said:
You are aware Playstion 4 is still selling better than the Playstation 2 in the same timeframe ^^

Nope.

PS2 have pass PS4 in USA this NPD.

>Talks about worldwide sales
>Cites US sales to combat argument

110M is my guess

Around the Network

Im going to say that it wont only because I think we will be a shorter gen than last. The writing was on the wall when they went with mid end components as opposed to the high end of the past.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

celador said:
Only about 5 people think it will.

I'm not even sure it will get to 100 million

Not selling more then 100 million prediction is as crazy as predicting ps4 will outsell ps2

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

FightingSmile said:
Ryng_Tolu said:
Giggs_11 said:
celador said:
Only about 5 people think it will.

I'm not even sure it will get to 100 million

This! I would even add that I may be surprised if they even surpass the 80M mark to be honest, although I wouldn't bet on that.

Of course there are many factors involved in this such as how many years will this generation last, so it really is hard to predict.

Hey hey, calm now!

PS4 is still above PS3 by 2:1, don't forget this...

Yes it is but we dont know how long this generation will last ultimately. I doubt it would last past 5 years TBH as these consoles are already under powered compared to that of PC. This was not an issue during at the start-mid years of last generation as the cnosoles were equivalent or perhaps slightlymore powerful then the PC's during this time frame, thus implying a longer generation for developers to utlise the full potential

IMO this generation will last around 5 years max, depends on when devs start screaming to MS and SONY for more power etc. This will happen as already 1080p 60fps is already a stretch for the more "powerful" ps4, let alone the X1. In saying this the ps4 can still notch up impressive numbers during this time

The number of cross-gen games proove that devs was not ready for this gen,i wouldn't be surprised if this gen will last more then last gen

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

PenguinZ said:
I have my doubts that it will surpass 100m, simply because I feel this is going to be a shorter console cycle, especially compared to the 7th generation.

Wah? It's at 18.5 million now, emerging markets are way better now than before (Sony showed us that PS4 has sold twice as much in Asia excluding Japan than the PS2 had in the same point in its life), Japanese support is just starting to pick up, It hasn't even reached its peak yet, so we should expect years higher than this in the future (it did 14 million this calendar year.)

How do you explain the 100 million figure?

I'll wait for End of March to get a better picture. But here's a few thing that make me believe it's still to close.
1st. PS2 released in Japan 7 months BEFORE it did anywhere else, so the numbers are not quite the same.
2nd PS4 released in Japan 3 months AFTER it was released everywhere else, so again numbers are not the same.
Taking all that in consideration PS4 would have to sell somewhere around 400k-500k a week on avarage untill End of March to be on Par with PS2. You have Bloodbourne & The Order 1886 coming out before then (unfortunately The witcher 3 won't) and a lot of Tax returns Usally in March (at least in US) I see it being very close to Par with PS2 come end of March,