By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo's AC Adapter Policy Isn't Fair - Kotaku

Hynad said:
Cleary397 said:
the_dengle said:

I agree. I knew they were already doing this in Japan and Europe and I regret not being mad about it on principal before it became my problem.

It's still not my problem since I already own a 3DS and thus a charger. But the problem is now in my region and it's a stupid choice on Nintendo's part.

To those defending Nintendo's rhetoric, here is proof positive that the savings on the absent charger are being passed on to Nintendo, not to the customer.

3DS XL launch price in Japan (no charger): ¥18,800
New 3DS XL launch price in Japan (no charger): ¥18,800
3DS XL launch price in UK (no charger): £179.99
New 3DS XL launch price in UK (no charger): £179.99
3DS XL launch price in US (with charger): $199.99
New 3DS XL launch price in US (no charger): $199.99

See the problem here? In Japan and in the UK, the New XL was valued at the same price as the original XL. None of those models included a charger, so we can conclude that the value of the New XL in 2014 is equal to the value of the standard XL in 2012. In America as well, the New XL is valued at the same price as the original XL was, but there is something missing from the box. This means that, if Nintendo is to be believed, the New model is considered more valuable in 2014 than the XL was in 2012. But this is clearly not the case anywhere else in the world.

In other words, Nintendo is lying through their teeth. No savings are being passed on to the customer in America.

This is a false statement.

The hardware is improved in the New 3DS XL. Larger screen area, extra input functions with C stick and Zr Zl buttons and a much improved CPU.

The hardware is better = a greater price.

By your logic, the PS4 should be sold for over 600$ since it is much more powerful than the PS3, which came out at 599$.

And by the way, the charger is the same as it's ever been... Shouldn't it cost less to produce? After all, it isn't improved, and isn't "better hardware".

Nah i didnt say anything about Sony products. Im only talking about the 3DS.

Stop extrapolating what i said to ridiculous situations in order to make what i said seem less logical.

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

Around the Network
Hynad said:
Mnementh said:

Let's me wonder if all the complainers were willign to buy a new 3Ds in the first place.

As if everyone who intend to buy the New3DS are all supposed to be drones who blindly accept Nintendo's anti-consumer practices.

Yeah, that intense anti-consumer practice of allowing the consumer to make the choice of whether they actually need another charger or not.

How dare they give people a choice!

Current Game Machines: 3DS, Wii U, PC.

Currently Playing: X-Com(PC), Smash Bros(WiiU), Banner Saga(PC), Guild Wars 2(PC), Project X Zone(3DS), Luigis Mansion 2(3DS), DayZ(PC)

Hynad said:
Mnementh said:

Let's me wonder if all the complainers were willign to buy a new 3Ds in the first place.

As if everyone who intend to buy the New3DS are all supposed to be drones who blindly accept Nintendo's anti-consumer practices.

No, but shouldn't be more threads about no new 3DS then? Because this is reducing option for potential buyers in reality. The AC-adapter is only a small annoyance. Still more people hyperventilate about the AC-adapters and I see not a single popular thread about this disaster with the omission of one model that sets itself apart from the others by customization. That seems wrong. As a consumer I would be much more upset about that. As a european I don't have that problem though.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Cleary397 said:

Yeah, that intense anti-consumer practice of allowing the consumer to make the choice of whether they actually need another charger or not.

How dare they give people a choice!

How credulous can you be?

Read this post again. You really are missing a key element of the whole picture:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=7000232

Mnementh said:
Hynad said:
Mnementh said:

No, but shouldn't be more threads about no new 3DS then? Because this is reducing option for potential buyers in reality. The AC-adapter is only a small annoyance. Still more people hyperventilate about the AC-adapters and I see not a single popular thread about this disaster with the omission of one model that sets itself apart from the others by customization. That seems wrong. As a consumer I would be much more upset about that. As a european I don't have that problem though.

Maybe it is due to the fact that most people in the US are much more interested in getting the XL version to begin with?

Around the Network

It's very annoying. Luckily I already had a 3DS when I got the XL so it wasn't a big deal for me but still.. if you get a new phone you always get a charger. SURELY that has to be a standard?

Mnementh said:
Cobretti2 said:
ONLY IN AMERICA PEOPLE WHINGE ABOUT BEING TOO LAZY TO PICK UP TWO BOXES 2 METERS APART FROM EACH OTHER.

Yes, because they don't measure in meter in America and are confused from two meters. How much is that in feet?

6foot 7inches 

So slighly taller than the greatest basketball player ever.

Just gonna post this from a previous thread:

You know vg, the more I think about it, the more I wonder how much it costs to manufacture one of these chargers in question. We're used to getting a charger right out of the box for any electronic at an agreed-to price but how often do we consider if the price of the charger was factored into the total price for any hardware? How often, when we buy anything, do we start counting up the total cost of getting said product from manufacturing plants to store shelves? Have we benefited from publishers no longer including color-printed booklets for example?

By removing the charger, Nintendo deviated from the norm saying it's doing this to lower the cost of the box. Is this true? Does anyone here have access to Nintendo's financials? I imagine Nintendo keeps these numbers to themselves so I looked up the prices for lone chargers for various things on online retailers and they range from around $2 to up to $15. How did we get these varying prices? I found similar pricing for mere usb cables we've probably come to expect to be available right out of the box. Again, how often do we ask how these cables factored into the total cost of a retail unit it had come with?

And another post following the one above:

If you can't afford about $5-$10 for a charger, you probably shouldn't be buying a $200 handheld gaming device that plays $40 games. If you don't feel what Nintendo is asking for is reasonable, please do not purchase a new 3DS and contact Nintendo as to why you are not purchasing the new handheld. Purchase a Vita instead, it comes with a charger but just be wary of memory card prices.

What I don't get is, if Nintendo are selling them for 8 dollars why can't they just include it and eat the cost? Next thing you know, they'll be selling the rechargeable batteries separate in their next gen handheld...

Hynad said:
Mnementh said:
Hynad said:
Mnementh said:

Maybe it is due to the fact that most people in the US are much more interested in getting the XL version to begin with?

Nobody has the interest in customization, as the faceplates offer? Not even as an option? Sounds unlikely.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]